Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..

I'm taking a risk. I bought a broken down green 2000 Ford Focus SE wagon (2.0 sohc I believe.. it does NOT appear to be a zetec engine at all) for $500 cash and credit. It's an automatic, 126k miles on it, a/c and cruise control. Hoping I can get it up and running again for a decent price. I already have a 2000 Ford Focus SE with a Zetec engine and it's running..well, I won't say "Fine" but I will say it's running decently. (I'm not planning on swapping the two engines for the record)

On the wagon, it's reputed that the timing belt broke.. there's oil in the antifreeze and vice versa. We've only just taken the valve cover off and haven't dug too much deeper due to the weather. I'm wondering several things...

I called a junk yard near me, they had a sohc engine for $1325.. but they also had a dohc (zetec?) engine for $325.. I think I read somewhere on Google that I might need a different car brain (and me brain, I work on computers lol, not cars!) if I tried to put the more powerful one in it.. My first question is, DOES THAT WORK???

Second question... is there a guide somewhere on here that I missed to help me in my way to discover how to fix this car engine, or considering that it's believed to be a timing belt failure, should I toss all that out and simply REPLACE the engine from the get go? (previous note, we removed my engine from the non wagon SE earlier this summer to get to the transmission, so at least my friend and I, are semi familiar with THAT process) .. having worked on computers mostly and not much on cars, I'm unsure with what search parameters to enter in?

What HAPPENED as I've been told: the engine went out in a big cloud of smoke after making funny noises, and the shaft won't turn even by hand. (Not sure if that means starter) .. on a semi maybe unrelated note, I note that the wires for the fuel rail going to the fuel injectors are openly exposed and cracked (I have pictures but they're on my cell phone at the moment) so I don't know how much if any that has to do with anything? They are NOT burnt but they do seem brittle.

I hope I have provided enough information to get going...
Even if you need to point me in the right direction or move this thread elsewhere, it would be wonderful to get a good start on this.. hopefully I won't be living in it soon! :D [rofl] Thanks in advance for your kind help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Here's a good thread on an SVT into a Wagon swap:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367473

General Tech Chat section is better for fix it questions on the current engine, though it sounds like it overheated & toasted itself thoroughly - AKA junk.

Stickies & old threads here have a lot of info. on swap options, it can be done but it's not a small job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks... I just want to do a simple engine rebuild or swap.. not sure what SPI and SVT mean?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
SVT is the performance hatchback version of the MkI Focus, uses a modified version of the zetec twin cam engine.

SPI is molded right into the valve cover of the single can engines, odd name (Split Port injection) for how the intake/head is set up - it's still an 8 valve engine with a hemi head vs the others with 16 valves & twin cams.

SPI didn't get into any wagons I'd prev. heard of here in the States, used in Canada though - apparently in some if you have one!

SPI performance section actually has more info. on repair/replacement, they've got a bad rep. for dropping valve seats unpredictably so there are few junkyard engines available. Swap to a zetec is popular, there's a stickie at the top of this section as mentioned on how to do that, with other threads to be found here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've spent a couple days trying to get the engine torn apart to verify what's what in it. Due to stress/anxiety attacks (claustrophobia doesn't help either) I'm about to freak out more.. so I have a guy coming in the morning to help finish tearing it apart. I took off the battery, battery holder, and steering pump and heat shield and valve cover.. oh and I successfully bathed my left arm in oil taking the oil drain plug out! :D .. for the record the oil started yellowish (new) then went to a dark red / black.

Hoping it did not crack the head. Hoping it did not crack the head..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it did not crack the head.. not technically. What it did break was the full on head wall.. I can only imagine the sheer horror of being inside that piston when it was hammered into oblivion before finally lodging itself between parts of the rocker arms, finally FORCING engine movement to finally cease? Must have been an awesome spectacle.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nice picture of a destroyed piston & hole through the cylinder wall of the block, that's toast.

I see a post in the zetec swap thread, are you going that way for replacement?

That stickied thread details the process quite well.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Looks like the timing belt is still in good shape?

Did it drop a valve and then break the piston / cylinder wall?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not entirely sure what happened but it did NOT drop a valve seat of all things! I guess maybe it got spooked by all the other valve seat drop stories and committed engine-cide?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Lack-O-Maint. can kill anything, that made some noise before it got REAL loud - then silence.

G/L with the replacement project, some of the older swap threads will help with that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol sailor. Yeah found a same year focus and pulled/cut the harness under the passenger seat...turns out I cut too much and had extra cables loose but it works cause its less actual harness I took with me.. Will have to sice a couple connections in the engine compartment that I could not get loose.

Glad my hands have stopped bleeding. ;)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
One tool I've never found avail. is a cable stretcher, always better to have extra to nip to size later.

Blood sacrifice comes along with some jobs, even avoided as much as possible. I just hate to sacrifice twice in the same manner, should have learned the first time...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Lol...hey of quick note...and I pray my answer is "little to nothing".. What's the difference between focus se and focus zts? ..had a zetec engine and brain (which I pulled too from the zts).. Just praying I didn't again get the wrong thing?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
ZTS Sedan came with Zetec engine & a set of sway bars - the sporty model vs. one with SPI or just a small front bar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can someone answer me if I *actually* need to swap the transmission harness cable? They look identical to me. Anyone know if the pin out is the same or I *MUST* swap that?
(And as a note I hope I can have a nice FAQ post for others once this is all done! ;)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The Glassmaker's thread stickied at the top is one of the better references.

Can't remember what he said on that without reading it again.

He's not on here often, but stops in at times - memory might not be as good as the older written notes but he'll help answer if he can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's not checked it in a while and his inbox is full which means I can't pm him or poke his email to get a reply so hence my asking here :/ .. Not my intent to annoy but I need a firm answer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello all.. ok so after a month of work on getting the old SPI engine out (LONG STORY! which I shant tell at the moment but it involved sawing THROUGH the broken piston that was stuck).. I finally have a few more pieces to repair / swap before I can put my replacement zetec engine in.

Couple questions as I've run into some difficulties, and need to know before I proceed:
1: Is it absolutely necessary to swap the throttle and cruise control (from SPI to Zetec) cables? I can't find how to undo them from this car nor cars in the junk yards. Knechts doesn't seem to have them.
2: When I was retrieving an engine harness one plug I was unable to detach properly at the time was the plug going to the AC (I believe) (top left of engine, small two wire branching off main harness) so I snipped it. I wound up needing to snip this same plug from my old harness.. but the problem is with the zetec harness the color coding is blue and red (solid colors) .. the plug itself has green with red stripe and green with orange stripe. I KNOW it's the same plug because it's the only one missing in that area.. I'm hoping it's red to green with red and blue to green with orange?

Actually you can probably close this thread, as long as I get a reply in the main thread?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts