Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2002 Ford Focus with 84,000 miles on it. For the past few months, it's had some difficulty starting. The only times I've noticed it are when the car is off for a short period of time, like when I'm running errands. Usually when I try to start it up, it will sound like it's going to turn on but then just dies. If I give it some gas or wait a while before starting it again, it will start up fine. However, yesterday the car turned on but started shaking and then eventually died. It doesn't have difficulty every time, though. I never have trouble when starting it in the morning or after work.

I had my car looked at just last week. They said everything looked good, and they didn't run into the problem.

I don't know a lot about cars, so any assistance would be wonderful!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2.0 L Zetec-E engine.

As for the climate, it's been in the 90s. The problem started a few months ago when it was much cooler out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check/replace the air filter and make sure intake is clear. I also would bring all the maintenance up.ie, clean MAF, fuel filter,etc. A lot of times that solves the issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I took my car in to be looked at last week, they did a full 60,000 mile service on it, which should include replacing the air filter, right? I hadn't kept up with maintenance on it (other than oil changes, etc.) before then.

I've noticed that the car only has difficulty starting when it's parked out in the sun for 30 minutes or less. It hasn't happened a lot, so I don't know if that's helpful. It just can't seem to start up when the engine is still hot. But only sometimes!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi iloveroy,

If you have any questions on what services were done, you may want to call the dealer and confirm, and let them know of your current issue so they can offer solutions. Here is the list of services recommended at the 60k service interval. You can also see them on Owner.Ford.com.

• Change automatic transmission fluid
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Inspect automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with underhood dipstick)
  • Replace cabin air filter
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Perform multi-point inspection
  • Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
  • Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
  • Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
  • Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
  • Change engine oil and replace oil filter (See Owners manual for time based oil change intervals)
  • Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise

~Natasha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the list. I checked my dealer's website, and I know everything that they should have done. Filters were on it.

I told them about my issue with starting the car, and like I said, they did not find anything wrong and were not able to duplicate the issue. But it has happened to me since getting my car back from them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts