Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 2009 ford focus was just purchased for me. I have test driven several cars of other brands in the compact category. The steering in the ford focus seems much more difficult and unresponsive than any of the other cars I test drove. In the other cars I could turn the steering wheel and the power steering did the work for me. The steering in the ford focus compared to the other cars seems stiff and difficult. It is very noticeably different. It's not a subtle difference. Any thoughts on this.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It has to do with the pressure the pump makes. A higher pressure in the rack will yield an easier turn of the steering wheel. But it's not something I'd recommend playing with or trying to alter.
You will get used to it though and really it's not that bad compared to say a 1970's Gremlin with no power steering at all.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you have the power steering fluid flushed and replaced with Redline synthetic power steering fluid it should be easier to steer. Mine was very noticeably easier, but I also had 60,000 miles on the original fluid and it was dirty. I ordered two quarts, it was around 10 dollars per quart. It took less than an hour to change. It's worth a try.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If you have the power steering fluid flushed and replaced with Redline synthetic power steering fluid it should be easier to steer. Mine was very noticeably easier, but I also had 60,000 miles on the original fluid and it was dirty. I ordered two quarts, it was around 10 dollars per quart. It took less than an hour to change. It's worth a try.
Might not be the best move on a brand new car, warranty claims and all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts