Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting this for my '07 focus. Anybody have any good/bad information or experience with it?

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
It will be better than stock, allow the car to breathe more. Read jmiller's link for the pro's and con's, there are several more threads about them here as well. Decide if you want CAI or a SRI (the steeda is more of a short ram than a true cold air.)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I ran this intake on my 05' focus St back when I had it... honestly it was the only mod I ever did to the car since I wasn't going to spend more money on the car unless it was for boost...

anyways... it definitely woke my car up alot since the factory air induction system is a joke. I was suprised the car ran with all that plastic piping in the bumper!

Anyways... as for intake temps and underhood temps... I have a temp gun that I use for breeding reptiles and the highest temp that it ever got under the hood that I measured.. mid summer mind you was about 118 degrees F.

Truthfully the road itself is probably that hot with the sun beating down on it so I'm not really all that convinced that in a warm setting like FL where I'm at that the CAI will always be necessarily "better"...

Now on a side note my Mustang has a cold air intake routed into the fender and down by the bumper and I had a very close call going thru a huge puddle that I just couldn't avoid... I just put the car in neutral to let the rpm's drop before I did it and thank god I did because it still must have got some moisture in there... car ran like shit for probably 20 min's and I was scared [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]less I had hydrolocked my motor... honestly I would rather go SRI and suffer a few degrees difference than worry about hitting a puddle that can't be avoided if you have cars beside you in the next lane over.

My favorite thing I'd have to say about the Steeda SRI though is how loud it is... I loved doing WOT pulls from 3.8-4k rpm's. lol

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Anyways... as for intake temps and underhood temps... I have a temp gun that I use for breeding reptiles and the highest temp that it ever got under the hood that I measured.. mid summer mind you was about 118 degrees F.

Truthfully the road itself is probably that hot with the sun beating down on it so I'm not really all that convinced that in a warm setting like FL where I'm at that the CAI will always be necessarily "better"...
Exhaust gasses can be as high as 1100*F, and the engine operates at 210*, so your heat gun is not accurate to measuring engine or under hood temps. The ground in FL has never gotten anywhere near 200*, cai's do their job well regaurdless of how hot the ground is.

To answer the OP, both systems are better than stock. I have a cai on my 05 and love the sound it makes, but for peace of mind I would rather have a sri. I have gone through 10" deep puddles with my 00 focus, and am very glad I have the Volant (only pulls air from above headlights)

both are very good choices!

Matt

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I have the steeda sri w/ no problem's

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Have it. Love it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Same. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and have never had an issue with it. I recharge it about once a year with K&N Recharge kit. Check out the buy/sell/trade forum for some great deals on them. I picked mine up for $100 shipped from someone who went boosted and no longer needed it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Have the Steeda SRI on my 08. Awesome product with great build quality.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My '08 had some slight "stuttering" problems at 35-45 mph with the Steeda SRI. A Ford Field Engineer was flown in from Dearborn, hooked up his laptop to the car, and we went for a 45 minute drive. He got it to stutter, and when it did, he said that his laptop showed the throttle body butterfly was moving back and forth slightly, causing the stuttering. He ask me to measure the inside diameter of the Steeda MAF tube. It measured almost 1/8" larger than the OEM tube. His opinion was that this extra air messes up the MAF calibration as it is designed for the OEM tube diameter. I think a slightly larger ID tube made it through inspection at Steeda. I switched to an Airaid (they make Roushes) and no problems. Again, I think I got a out-of-spec Steeda. It could be that the spring on the throttle body butterfly, due to the RF, no cables design on the '08's, might be weaker than on the non RF's.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
My '08 had some slight "stuttering" problems at 35-45 mph with the Steeda SRI. A Ford Field Engineer was flown in from Dearborn, hooked up his laptop to the car, and we went for a 45 minute drive. He got it to stutter, and when it did, he said that his laptop showed the throttle body butterfly was moving back and forth slightly, causing the stuttering. He ask me to measure the inside diameter of the Steeda MAF tube. It measured almost 1/8" larger than the OEM tube. His opinion was that this extra air messes up the MAF calibration as it is designed for the OEM tube diameter. I think a slightly larger ID tube made it through inspection at Steeda. I switched to an Airaid (they make Roushes) and no problems. Again, I think I got a out-of-spec Steeda. It could be that the spring on the throttle body butterfly, due to the RF, no cables design on the '08's, might be weaker than on the non RF's.
Did you use the insert that came w/ the intake? More power w/o & you would need a tune!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yea what Felix said. Put the insert in and no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts