Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I recently bought a new Sony head unit for my car, its 50wX4. I was looking to upgrade the speakers, but I have one question before I attempt this.....Does anyone know what the wattage is for standard speakers in a focus?
The sound im getting at the moment is animal for standards

Cheers for all your help.

Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure of the wattage but a website that sells speakers and is very easy to work with is. Crutchfield you can choose your cars year and model and they show everything that will and if it will need a little modification. With the head units they include all the mounting hardware and wires so they might with speakers but have never got speakers from them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yep, crutchfield.com will give you the wire harnesses for the speakers and they also include info sheets on how to change the speakers in your car. I have ordered two systems from them. GOOD LUCK! :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm not certain how much the speakers vary between packages, but on the 04 SVT w/ audiophile setup the stock panel speakers are still only 25W @4 Ohm all around.

Front Model#: XW7F - 18808 - CA
Rear Model# : XW7F - 18808 - AB
-an interesting note on the front speakers: they have their own sealed plastic housing, and use an independently placed tweeter...very nice clarity, and a worthy upgrade for non-SVT owners that migiht not have this speaker up front and want to keep a stock setup.

in my own opinion, I wouldn't change these speakers out unless you plan on pushing them hard...the sound quality of this particular speaker setup is actually really good when you have boom in the back. by themselves they are a little thin.

I do ride my speakers hard, so I decided to change all 4 to sony xplod's and i've been pretty happy with them so far.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I changed mine to rockford fosgate got all 4 for 70 bucks shipped off e-bay sound sweet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DarwinSays said:
I'm not certain how much the speakers vary between packages, but on the 04 SVT w/ audiophile setup the stock panel speakers are still only 25W @4 Ohm all around.

Front Model#: XW7F - 18808 - CA
Rear Model# : XW7F - 18808 - AB
-an interesting note on the front speakers: they have their own sealed plastic housing, and use an independently placed tweeter...very nice clarity, and a worthy upgrade for non-SVT owners that migiht not have this speaker up front and want to keep a stock setup.

in my own opinion, I wouldn't change these speakers out unless you plan on pushing them hard...the sound quality of this particular speaker setup is actually really good when you have boom in the back. by themselves they are a little thin.

I do ride my speakers hard, so I decided to change all 4 to sony xplod's and i've been pretty happy with them so far.
Sound Boss! The head unit I got is a Sony Xplod and the performance I get since I've changed the head unit is animal....a lot more bass and a lot more volume....but i'll have to be careful as to not blow the standards.....is it hard to implement an extra 2 speakers mounted at the back window? 6X9 xplods?

Maybe add in a sub? but tbh the sub isnt really needed

·
Registered
444 Posts
its easy to add a sub. i have a sony xplod pushing 52 watt per speeker and they handle it fine. do you have a hatch or a sedan?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your talking Sony xplod head unit, that 52 watt per channel is at full volume with too much distortion for any speaker to handle, that Sony is more like 17 watts per channel with a respectable THD.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Jebus said:
Sound Boss! The head unit I got is a Sony Xplod and the performance I get since I've changed the head unit is animal....a lot more bass and a lot more volume....but i'll have to be careful as to not blow the standards.....is it hard to implement an extra 2 speakers mounted at the back window? 6X9 xplods?

Maybe add in a sub? but tbh the sub isnt really needed
yeah a buddy of mine put an xplod radio in his neon, and the difference was unreal on stock speakers...then we got the xplod speakers and the whole setup is rockin even w/o sub.
if youre sticking with stock doors, be very careful not to blow them. replacement is no easy chore, especially if you have a 2-door (in regards to rear speakers).

if you want to install extra panel speakers, then i'd say just go and change the door speakers, but get a couple of guys to help you - if at all possible, someone who has already changed focus speakers. it's a process...several, actually. lol. the entire door panel has to come off, not just the grill.

subs are easy to install. since you have the standard focus, go check out the thunderforms at mtx.com theyre a unit similar to the SVT stock subs, but feature a 12" speaker instead and are of course more powerful.
if you do by chance go that route, slide up to your local ford dealership and find out if they have any of those covers used for the sub on the svt and see if it'll fit over it before actually buying one. another option would be to hook up with someone that has an svt from here and ask to try it on for size ;-)

if you get a sub/subs and are a true audiophile, you'll probably also want to look into something like an 'upstage tweeter system', which will seal the deal on your audio setup pretty nicely. google it and you'll see what I mean.

good luck with all your audio stuff man...hope it sounds awesome when youre finished =p

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm not sure, but the Sony head unit is probably more than capable of blowing the factory speakers to bits. Factory speakers are fine for a stock deck, but aren't very good if plan on giving them any more power than they were originally designed for.

The Sony deck is 52x4, but that is the max rating. If you ever see that kind of output from it, it would be at full volume with an insane amount of distortion. Most aftermarket decks are somewhere between 17-20 watts per channel RMS (continuous power).

Changing the speakers isn't that big of a deal. To get at the fronts (at least in a ZX3) you just have to pop off the door panel, and the rears are just behind one huge plastic trim panel (be careful not to break off the spring clips that hold the panel to the car, they are brittle).

If you plan on changing the speakers, I would suggest a good set of 5x7/6x8's. There are numerous companies that make very nice speakers for not too much money-I would suggest Infinity Kappa's (I have them, and love them)--there is really no need to mount 6x9's under the rear shelf, the 6x8's are more than capable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AK_05_ZX5 said:
its easy to add a sub. i have a sony xplod pushing 52 watt per speeker and they handle it fine. do you have a hatch or a sedan?
Its a 5 door hatchback..

Cheers for all the help, such good advice. so would it be safe to say that the focus stock speakers are about 25w RMS?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
well i rund stock speakers with my pioneer 4800mp head unit and sound awesome. even clear bass and no distortion at all. of course i can pretty much set high mids and all that even control hz on my headunit but do not bother. if you plan on installing an amp and sub, just put mids and high on the inside speakers and bass to come only from the sub, all done. also, the stocks will handle just fine the highs and mids.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I would rate the stock speakers somewhere between 15-20 watts RMS. This is pretty close to the RMS output of your deck, but you could still blow them up if you aren't careful. Just pay attention--if you hear distortion, turn it down. As long as you follow that key rule, you should be fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
25w rms if your lucky. In all honesty a stock head unit only puts out around 10-20 watts per channel on it's best day. I have metered plenty and know this one. Please do us all a favor and replace the speakers. Alpine type "R" 5x7 componets will fit perfectly into your a-pillar, and the 5 x 7 will fit just fine in the factory location. You won't need adapters, or anything crazy to make the switch, a buddy or two and a door puller. Boston Acoustic SL 80 componet plate's are a great replacement. I installed them and wouldn't trade them for anything.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
^ actually, these are about the best stock systems i've ever heard. i've had a pioneer 4700 in my car for about 9 months now and am just now having a little trouble with ONE of my speakers. i think they've held up pretty damn well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the pioneer head unit's, especiallt the new 980bt unit with blue tooth/sat/with advanced time correction, and the first ever full color screen. However I won't trade in my Alpine.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I have an XPLOD HU in my car, with an aftermarket amp/sub and the stock SVT audiophile speakers....this setup sounds great to me, but I do plan in the future to upgrade to prolly some pioneer 6X8's to handle to constant amount of music I play every day. I don't have any distortion on the stockers, an the unit has been in about 2 months now. We'll see how long the stockers last.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts