Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 2014 Ford Focus SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I am fairly new to this forum, but the Idea I been wanting to do is something I had for a few years now. My Ford Focus SE has been a wonderful car to me, and with its time, it has helped me learn how to drive and has gotten me through Highschool and is currently getting me through college. However, I find myself wanting more out of it, wanting to truly make it my own build. I know that many people have swapped out their Ford Focus SEs into STs, but I don't know where to start. I don't know much about engine swapping, I don't know whether its better to use a 2014 ST engine or maybe a 15, 16, or more recent engine. I would really love to have some help. No matter who does, thank you for helping me!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Not to crush your dream, but I don't think many people have dropped an ST motor into the SEs. If you don't know a lot about engine swaps, you're going to be in for a very long project. You are probably a lot better off trading your car in and going to an ST.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If your goal is go fast … just put an aftermarket turbo kit on the Focus for around 4,000. You could also do a 2.5l swap from a Ford Fusion for half the price …. and get some decent power. Then just ride what you already have. This is assuming you already have the stick shift.

If you truly just want all the upgrades the ST has to offer.... than just trade in your SE and buy an actual ST. After you spend all the time/money required to upgrade all the parts to make your ride equal to a ST... you could have saved by just buying an ST.

I see some 2013 and 2014 ST's around Atlanta for right at 10,000.
After you drop 4,000 on the turbo and tune.... and another grand on suspension upgrades... another grand on interior upgrades... your more than half way to an actual ST?

If your trying to fool the insurance company into giving you the rates of a Focus while driving an ST …. Good for you. You can probably save around $500 to $1,000 a year in insurance by upgrading your Focus to ride like an ST ( just don't tell them you put in a turbo or upgrading your motor).

I thought about doing the same thing for my daughter. She has a nice 2011 Focus and I want to play around with Turbos ….. But if your try and insure a under 25 year old driver on a turbo vehicle the insurance will kill you. But what the insurance company doesn't know ….. should stay that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your goal is go fast … just put an aftermarket turbo kit on the Focus for around 4,000. You could also do a 2.5l swap from a Ford Fusion for half the price …. and get some decent power. Then just ride what you already have.

If you truly just want all the upgrades the ST has to offer.... than just trade in your SE and buy an actual ST. After you spend all the time/money required to upgrade all the parts to make your ride equal to a ST... you could have saved by just buying an ST.

I see some 2013 and 2014 ST's around Atlanta for right at 10,000.
After you drop 4,000 on the turbo and tune.... and another grand on suspension upgrades... another grand on interior upgrades... your more than half way to an actual ST?

If your trying to fool the insurance company into giving you the rates of a Focus while driving an ST …. Good for you. You can probably save around $500 to $1,000 a year in insurance by upgrading your Focus to ride like an ST ( just don't tell them you put in a turbo or upgrading your motor).

I thought about doing the same thing for my daughter. She has a nice 2011 Focus and I want to play around with Turbos ….. But if your try and insure a under 25 year old driver on a turbo vehicle the insurance will kill you. But what the insurance company doesn't know ….. should stay that way.
My goal is not to just go fast or to trick some insurance company. I simply want something to work on. You see, I understand where you come from when it comes to price, but for me its more than just speed or price. I believe that cars should be played with, have fun with. Simply just 'buying' an ST takes away from the point in my opinion. I know its logical, but it feels right in a way.

Isn't that the point of other drivers in other makes, models, and years doing similar things? Yea, it costs a lot of money, but these people want to have fun with their cars, make something THEIRS in spirit. This is what I want to do with my car, make something unique with my hands and maybe my father's hands as well if he decides to want to help me as well.

Sure, like the person above you said or even what I have said, I don't have much experience, but I can learn. Learning takes time, sure, but its not like I'm wanting to do everything immediately. These things take time and I can learn as that time goes on. I know I have seen a few documented cases on the conversion, but its simply some technical facts that I don't entirely understand. Stuff that can help me determine budgets and timetables and such.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You want to play around with how it looks

Lowering kit
aftermarket rims and tires

You if have the need for speed.

Start with Tom's tune... and research a aftermarket Turbo ( Tom also sells these). These little 2.0L engines only wake up over 4,000RPM and they love boost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course, I could do that. It would be much easier and not take as much time, yes, but I want to do this. I know it has been done. I have seen several proofs of this on YouTube and floating around the web. I wouldn't be asking about it if it wasnt feasable. I just need information on how the frames have changed over the mk3 focuses, what engines will be swappable into the 2014 engine bay, etc. My mind is set on the idea, I just am doing my research now.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Understood

All Mark3 Focus St pieces and parts ….. will bolt up to your Mark3 Focus SE.

Look for a Mark 3 ST that has been rear ended and totaled due to air bag deployment. Pick it up for 5,000 to 7,000 and start pulling and replacing every part from the St onto your SE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense, I also heard that there are slightly different engine mounts between the two engines, is that true?

·
Registered
16' Focus ST
419 Posts
Makes sense, I also heard that there are slightly different engine mounts between the two engines, is that true?
Yup.
These guys are into it pretty deep. Check out their builds. Fkin awesome. Not MK3 but you get the idea.
@SPIinDisguise
@Cobrawana
Maybe I got your name right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, once you've done some more research, hop over to focusst.org. Much more active site than this one.

Final thought, I'd agree with @paulrondelli on trying to pick up an ST.
If anything, you could grab one with a blown motor for super cheap and do a swap while maintaining your SE as your daily for parts errands and such.
That way you don't have to worry about the standalone harnesses and wiring and custom fab work and such.
Your suspension and brakes and such will already be upgraded and you won't need to touch them unless you wanna build it out more. (Brembos FTW)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup.
These guys are into it pretty deep. Check out their builds. Fkin awesome. Not MK3 but you get the idea.
@SPIinDisguise
@Cobrawana
Maybe I got your name right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, once you've done some more research, hop over to focusst.org. Much more active site than this one.

Final thought, I'd agree with @paulrondelli on trying to pick up an ST.
If anything, you could grab one with a blown motor for super cheap and do a swap while maintaining your SE as your daily for parts errands and such.
That way you don't have to worry about the standalone harnesses and wiring and custom fab work and such.
Your suspension and brakes and such will already be upgraded and you won't need to touch them unless you wanna build it out more. (Brembos FTW)
That's very cool! Something I should definitely look into! Thank you! Btw, love the little 'some assembly required'.

·
Registered
16' Focus ST
419 Posts
That's very cool! Something I should definitely look into! Thank you! Btw, love the little 'some assembly required'.
Yeah, I'm always pulling stuff off and tinkering with it. It was a joke my buddy made when he asked if I wanted to go cruising and asked if my car was back together or was some reassembly required. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: BlackM0ckingJay
1 - 11 of 11 Posts