Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to give my 2014 Ford Focus SE (hatch) some performance upgrades to make it handle similar to an ST or RS. I understand that in most cases buying a used ST/RS would be the most cost effective solution, however I am unable to operate a manual transmission due to disability (not that I dont know how to drive a manual, I am physically incapable). I would like to be able to take my car to local track days & similar events, however the SE hatchback isn't exactly the epitome of performance. I am looking to potentially swap in either a Focus ST or Focus RS engine & turbo (I understand that as long as the engines are from a 2012-2014 donor car they should fit fine). I would also like to upgrade my brakes and exhaust to match. If anyone has any tips/warnings about doing this I would be very grateful. Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you have deep enough pockets i believe you would be able to match the performance of at least an st but an rs would be a tough one. if i were looking to do an ultimate focus se build these would be my following steps:

power- swapping in an st motor or rs motor sound a bit unreasonable to me mainly because of the transmission i know the st 6 speed is not swappable into the se without some sort of adapter that would probably have to be a one off custom the reason i mention this is that i can only imagine the reverse would be true the st motor cannot mount up to our dual clutch transmission. now does this mean your hopes of an se competing with an st power wise id dead? not quite! i know tom over at focus power has a turbo kit that has run on a dct car at 220 whp which i would think would be at least 250 crank. tom has also mentioned that he knows that turbo kit can hold more and believes the dct can too. i believe this would also be a more cost effective solution as well because the labor for installing a turbo kit would probably be not as costly as a motor swap assuming you are taking it to a shop for this. don't quote me on this but i believe the kit can be had for around 4,500 this being your biggest expense.

suspension- now a lot of this comes down to preference and let me preface this by saying i have not had experience with these parts but if it were my money and i were willing to spend what it sounds like you are willing to spend i would be buying the kw coilover kit v2 these coils come in at around 1800 and kw is an amazing company but i have also heard great things about st suspension so i would give them a look too.

wheels and tires- for wheels there are tons of good options out there but i would be looking for something with a 18 inch diameter and an 8.5 inch width and around a +40 offset some great companies that i like are fifteen52, rotiform and konig most of their offerings are just above 1000 dollars and they have some cool styles that are rteletively lightweight.

brakes- without a doubt i would order the brembos for the rs if you shop around you can have the front set for under 700 bucks and you will have breaking that matches an rs! if you wanted to go even deeper you could look at more performance oriented brake pads and rotors along with stainless steel lines and higher rated brake fluid

little bits and goodies- if you are going to do these mods than definately take care of some of the basic stuff for your cars handling characteristics look into a rear motor mount and rear sway bar these two mods are some of the best bang for your buck mods out there

exhaust- on my car i am running the fswerks race catback with an obx header. but if you were looking to do a turbo kit then there would be no need for anything but the catback. this is also very subjective because different people like different volume levels and tones but the nice stuff about the fswerks catback is it all bolts right up

i basically summed up my dream build and i think you would have one of the most killer focus ses out there if you even went through with half of this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you have deep enough pockets i believe you would be able to match the performance of at least an st but an rs would be a tough one. if i were looking to do an ultimate focus se build these would be my following steps:

power- swapping in an st motor or rs motor sound a bit unreasonable to me mainly because of the transmission i know the st 6 speed is not swappable into the se without some sort of adapter that would probably have to be a one off custom the reason i mention this is that i can only imagine the reverse would be true the st motor cannot mount up to our dual clutch transmission. now does this mean your hopes of an se competing with an st power wise id dead? not quite! i know tom over at focus power has a turbo kit that has run on a dct car at 220 whp which i would think would be at least 250 crank. tom has also mentioned that he knows that turbo kit can hold more and believes the dct can too. i believe this would also be a more cost effective solution as well because the labor for installing a turbo kit would probably be not as costly as a motor swap assuming you are taking it to a shop for this. don't quote me on this but i believe the kit can be had for around 4,500 this being your biggest expense.

suspension- now a lot of this comes down to preference and let me preface this by saying i have not had experience with these parts but if it were my money and i were willing to spend what it sounds like you are willing to spend i would be buying the kw coilover kit v2 these coils come in at around 1800 and kw is an amazing company but i have also heard great things about st suspension so i would give them a look too.

wheels and tires- for wheels there are tons of good options out there but i would be looking for something with a 18 inch diameter and an 8.5 inch width and around a +40 offset some great companies that i like are fifteen52, rotiform and konig most of their offerings are just above 1000 dollars and they have some cool styles that are rteletively lightweight.

brakes- without a doubt i would order the brembos for the rs if you shop around you can have the front set for under 700 bucks and you will have breaking that matches an rs! if you wanted to go even deeper you could look at more performance oriented brake pads and rotors along with stainless steel lines and higher rated brake fluid

little bits and goodies- if you are going to do these mods than definately take care of some of the basic stuff for your cars handling characteristics look into a rear motor mount and rear sway bar these two mods are some of the best bang for your buck mods out there

exhaust- on my car i am running the fswerks race catback with an obx header. but if you were looking to do a turbo kit then there would be no need for anything but the catback. this is also very subjective because different people like different volume levels and tones but the nice stuff about the fswerks catback is it all bolts right up

i basically summed up my dream build and i think you would have one of the most killer focus ses out there if you even went through with half of this
Thank you. I do plan on doing most of the work myself and only taking it in for the suspension and tuning. And regarding the brakes - Would it be overkill to put a rear disc conversion kit on the car? I understand that most of the braking power comes from the front wheels, but if it would provide an advantage, I am OK with putting a conversion kit on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you are tracking the car I think a rear disk break swap would be a good idea. also I think you can manage a coil over install yourself was very easy for me only took about 2-3 hours with a buddy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help. I do have one more question though, Would it be possible to swap the RS or ST engine alone (no turbo) into the SE, and would there be any performance gains if it was done? Also, would it be possible to install the RS turbo system & exhaust into the SE? (I understand that the exhaust would either require me to cut new holes in the rear skirt or to get a new rear skirt) Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No and No

Tom
Thanks Tom, I believe I already know the answer to my next question but since it wasn't directly addressed I figured it was worth a shot. It is my understanding that structurally the focus st is identical to the SE, and it has the same base engine as the SE as well, though the st is turbocharged while the SE is not. Because of this (if I am correct) the ST exhaust & turbo system should be (in theory) swappable into the SE, with modifications to the rear valance to make room for the center exit exhaust. Is this correct? I am asking about this rather than the SE turbo your company sells as I can get ahold of a salvage Focus St for 1-2k, minus however much I could get for the car from selling it to the junkyard after I have taken what I need. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No , you would have to do a full engine and wiring swap + + + to use the ST in a non ST Focus

Tom
Ah. Well it was worth asking. Better start saving xD. Still, is it possible to swap the exaust from the st into an SE if I did a catback or axleback swap (assuming all appropriate modifications are done to the bumper to allow for the center exit)?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anything is possible with deep enough pockets. A better idea is to just buy a RS or ST.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Thank you. I do plan on doing most of the work myself and only taking it in for the suspension and tuning. And regarding the brakes - Would it be overkill to put a rear disc conversion kit on the car? I understand that most of the braking power comes from the front wheels, but if it would provide an advantage, I am OK with putting a conversion kit on. Thanks again.
2012 to 2015 St brakes are bolt on upgrade and work fine ST/SE braking/bias system is exactly the same..rear brakes are same for St/SE but there is something called frankenbrake upgrade for the rear, google it.

2013 is bigger, but 2015+ went larger rotor again...I have the full 2015 upgrade kit for sale (except rotors and pads) if you are interested you can PM me, calipers, brackets, larger dust shields, pad retainers, hardware, stainless braided brake lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
why not just turbo charge your SE forget the swap to ST..i live in nor cal in the bayarea and at the street races i go to every week and there is 2 turbo SE's every week daily driven and they run those things hard i have seen both beat a ST mind you driver is a key component and really the previous body style focus do alot of work this body style most of the STs are like show cars and the ones you do see at the races get beat up on turbo charge ur SE your not missing out on anything

1 - 17 of 17 Posts