Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I'm new to the focus world and new to this forum. I'm going to ask all my questions in one post to get it over with. First of all I am wanting more power without voiding warranty. I figured exhaust and intake should do the trick but what power gain should I expect. Also I would like to tune it but would that even be worth it. What would be power gains after tune. On another note is there a turbo out there that will fit my focus. I plan on slapping one on once I pay it off or get another vehicle. I honestly just want to keep up with my buddies on the highway. I'm up against a 06 charger rt that looses me on straights but I loose him in turns. He talks crap and a wanna smoke him. Pls recomend me the best exhaust, intake, turbo, and tune. I also want to make it my own. Which is why I didn't get a st. I want to be a badass with a SE that will smoke an st. [strongman]

·
Registered
51 Posts
First off, I hope you have deep pockets...

More power without voiding warranty... Well, unless you use all Ford Racing stuff you're going to void it technically, going to depend on how nice your dealership is.

I've always been of the mindset that tunes on N/A cars are pretty much pointless and not worth the money.

Is there a turbo that will fit your focus? That's kinda vague, you can make any turbo "fit"... Is there a turbo kit, I believe the answer is no..

Keeping up with a big'ole v8 with an N/A 4 banger... Like I said before, hope you have deep pockets. Don't bother trying to get any real N/A numbers out of your machine, it's going to cost you a ridiculous amount of money (go ask any Honda that's over 300hp N/A). Save up and boost it, normally i'd say just trade it in and get an ST because you'll save yourself a lot of money and headache... But you seem pretty set on what you have, so save up and boost it (which is going to void your warranty)

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Alright guys I'm new to the focus world and new to this forum. I'm going to ask all my questions in one post to get it over with. First of all I am wanting more power without voiding warranty. I figured exhaust and intake should do the trick but what power gain should I expect. Also I would like to tune it but would that even be worth it. What would be power gains after tune. On another note is there a turbo out there that will fit my focus. I plan on slapping one on once I pay it off or get another vehicle. I honestly just want to keep up with my buddies on the highway. I'm up against a 06 charger rt that looses me on straights but I loose him in turns. He talks crap and a wanna smoke him. Pls recomend me the best exhaust, intake, turbo, and tune. I also want to make it my own. Which is why I didn't get a st. I want to be a badass with a SE that will smoke an st. [strongman]
To be honest no mods to your Focus are warranty safe , some less then others , I would start with a tune , some say there not worth it on a NA car and 99% of those guys have never tried a Tune on a NA Focus or they would have a different opinion

Your asking what HP gains you will see and because no 2 Foci are the same no one can answer what your Focus will make , if they do ask for a guarantee of those gains and you will find out quickly they wont

Tune help from idle , part throttle cruise , daily driving , and WOT Performance

The with free tune updates as you add more NA mods do the intake next then move to Exh

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Also I haven't found an exhaust for my model. What would be best type of exhaust to go with. Do I want a lot of back pressure or not. What's the difference. Also what tune.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
To be honest no mods to your Focus are warranty safe , some less then others
Ever heard of Ford racing? Those are modifications warranty safe

·
Registered
527 Posts
^ I thought i read on some thread that even Ford Racing parts are not 'safe' because they are not true FoMoCo parts...at least in terms for warranty? (just what i remember from glancing thru posts etc). if thats true- its pretty sucky of them.

oh i found something:

"All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories.

Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts and will be denoted by the following logo"

... i guess it depends if it has a little check mark on it

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Warranty/

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
So yes, they can still be found. Just not as common. But a snorkel delete and K&N would not void your warranty. That's a performance modification. Tom said there are NO modifications that won't void warranty, but there are some that you can do that won't void your warranty. You are more likely to be voided for having a tune.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks guys. Also I haven't found an exhaust for my model. What would be best type of exhaust to go with. Do I want a lot of back pressure or not. What's the difference. Also what tune.
If you're staying N/A then anything less than 2.5" is fine. Do that with a single muffler/glasspack and it'll be nice and loud for ya and give you a wee bit more power.

If you wanna be awesome then get the head ported, get new cams, new valves, new intake, new exhaust mani... Hell, you might get 60hp extra if you do all that.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
If you're staying N/A then anything less than 2.5" is fine. Do that with a single muffler/glasspack and it'll be nice and loud for ya and give you a wee bit more power.

If you wanna be awesome then get the head ported, get new cams, new valves, new intake, new exhaust mani... Hell, you might get 60hp extra if you do all that.
The N/A doesn't have those options yet. Best we can do is bigger ST injectors, and port the head

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts

Anything less then 2.5 is fine ? A 2.5 or 3 inch would make the best performance , 2.5 would be easier to find , 3 inch would make the best performance the more mods you add , Engines this size does not need back psi , dont know why people say that

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anything less then 2.5 is fine ? A 2.5 or 3 inch would make the best performance , 2.5 would be easier to find , 3 inch would make the best performance the more mods you add , Engines this size does not need back psi , dont know why people say that

Tom
On an N/A?... I mean if you don't mind losing a bit of bottom end then ya go for it. To justify a 3" on a N/A car it would have to have a serious amount of flow work done to it...

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Sorry, didn't know it had to be bolt on ;) Any shop will do the aforementioned for you. Hence why I said I hope he has deep pockets.
Yeah haha all good. We do have a header from OBX, and people have been loving those too since they really help the top end [ninja]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. What type of shop should I look for. Like to get them to make or modify parts in my motor. Like a machinist I guess you'd call it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ok, I've got to ask. Why didn't you just buy an ST? [scratch]

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
On an N/A?... I mean if you don't mind losing a bit of bottom end then ya go for it. To justify a 3" on a N/A car it would have to have a serious amount of flow work done to it...
Is this from experience and testing this on 4 Cyl engines or reading it because that isnt what I have found from almost 20 years of 4cyl on my dyno and 25 years of Carb and EFI tuning

The SVT Focus gains 4-6 HP on a bone stock engine going to 3 inch from header back , I start my dyno runs at 2000 rpm and it gained HP and TQ from there on to 7000

Tom

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
You're wrong, plain and simple. CBE is a situation of diminishing gains, i.e.-you will continue to gain to the point it doesn't fit or doesn't justify the cost. This is exactly why a lot of race cars run cutouts-backpressure only hurts performance. This is a common myth that is spread throughout pretty much all automotive communities-very old school thought. I believed it as well until doing more research.

Primaries and secondaries are where this statement is true. In other words, headers can be too big. They can also be too small, too long, or too short depending on the application/power needs. Once the exhaust is past that point though, the only goal is getting it out. You can have a CBE that is too small, but the inverse is not true. You will not lose power anywhere by increasing CBE size.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts