Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im new here and ive been having this Problem on my 2005 ford focus model ZX4 ok i will provide a link that i uploaded on youtube and Im not sure what is causing my car to vibrate and sound so loud i think i need a motor mount not sure because the motor sets in place and is fine i checked everything out at a Muffler shop and they had said everything is Brand new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO5dt59HulE

·
Registered
838 Posts
Can't watch the video b/c of my torrents (now is the only time i can actually run them) But is the shaking and everythign when you're idle? or is it when you're rolling? if it's when you're rolling it's probably your rotors are warped, if it's idle then it could be a number of things.... are the first owner of the car? if so... any mods? If not, did the previous owner say they modded it all and if so what kind of mods? Especially if you're running certain cams, they could have a rough idle in general... If you're whole car shakes just when you rev the engine then i would throw a guess at your engine mounts, but i'll let ray or some else answer that one sense they know more about it than I would....

/blockoftext

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah its when im driving it sounds like that every time i put it in neutral it sounds fine and because it sounded loud in the beginning its because i was inclined. Um i bought it when it had 30k miles and the previous owner did no mods but added a sound system that a month later it died and got it replaced.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Doesn't sound like a mount to me, it would be just a loud hit and it would be when accelerating or just letting off the gas, try with the hood open watch the engine and see how much play it has when you rev it in "neutral" or "park"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah when i let off the gas the sound goes away and i will see how much the engine moves with the hood up

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Motor mount the vibration is usually there all the time. Neutral, drive still there. Especially notice it when you drive through dips and the car goes up and down. Vibration will go away and come back as the car cycles up and down. The noise sounded almost like when you stick a card in the spoke of a bicycle tire. Seemed to get faster as you reved and went faster. Hard to tell on my phone so I could be wrong. Don't like the fact it goes away when you let of accelerator.

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
that doesn't sound like a motor mount problem. the only thing to do is to open the hood and hear where the sound is coming from. I would say muffler but do you have an exhaust system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well when i have the car on a flat surface it sounds fine and under the hood i hardly hear anything besides a very light click should be the fans and i have the original ford muffler and resonator i had gone to a muffler shop the guy didnt know and said it might be wear an tear. even when i go up hill the noise starts sounding harder.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Are the motor mounts hard to change? What do they run?

·
Registered
314 Posts
You really can't tell that much from the video but my first guess would be a busted/torn flex pipe. Engine torquing over under a load will open up a worn pipe more and make it louder accelerating or really any time the engine is loaded.

But then again I don't even remember if the 05-07 used a traditional flex pipe to connect the header to the exhaust.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just putting my two cents in but have you checked the cv axels, or the hub bearings yet? If it only happens umder a load and durring accelleration chances are its and axel but I would need to see the car before I could say accurately. Also does it have a popping noise when turning?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I am going to throw an odd one out there and see who bites. I think it is in the transmission. Like someone has been doing neutral bombs.

I am going to say its not in the CV or Hub because it does it when he starts the car. Not moving. That sounds like a rotational noise not a leak. You got to get someone to put a bar or pipe up against that Transmission housing and see if you can hear the clatter better with it against your ear. Old car guy trick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
some people have been telling me that it is the transmission mount of that it sounds loose. but another friend of mine says it might be the transmission going out i really doubt that about the transmission.But i do think its my transmission mount.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
check your trans fluid if you know how. that also sounds like my car did when the header was resting on the oil pan.

it may be internal trans or a heat shield. I only listened to it on my phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts