Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My 2004 focus sl 2ltr zetec engine only runs on 2 cycl and it is not the coil help?[bash]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome.

Made this it's own thread for more looks.

Any more info. on what's been checked so far?

(And detail engine type for us yanks, sometimes zetec is the chain driven cam type we call a duratec)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi My 2004 focus sl 2ltr zetec engine only runs on 2 cycl and it is not the coil help?[bash]
Not sure how you confirmed the coil isn't the culprit, but I would pull each plug and turn the engine over to see if you are getting a decent spark. If any of the plugs are sparking properly, either you have a bad plug, bad wires, or a bad coil. I suppose you could also have a majorly plugged injector that is preventing a couple pots from firing properly. Just some thoughts.

When were the plugs and wires replaced last?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ford focus problem?

In answer to your input .
1. I replaced the coil with a new one
2.checked each plug individually
3.checked the plug leads.
4. checked fuel filters and injectors.
5. the motor has full compression.
I am lost and really do not want to take it to ford because they will charge an arm and a leg.
[scratch]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome.

Made this it's own thread for more looks.

Any more info. on what's been checked so far?

(And detail engine type for us yanks, sometimes zetec is the chain driven cam type we call a duratec)
the motor is a 2ltr zetec and the timing belt has been replaced the car has only done 98000 klms.( about 60000 mls).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
In answer to your input .
5. the motor has full compression.
I am lost and really do not want to take it to ford because they will charge an arm and a leg.
[scratch]
When you've eliminated every possible problem, and it still doesn't work, it's time to recheck some of the tests & assumptions.

First question I've got now is which two cylinders are firing & which are not.

Ignition is paired 1&4, 2&3, so one of those pairs not working points to the coil (replaced) or the wiring to it. Coil connector & wiring leading to it often have issues - to the point a replacement connector with wires attached for installation (pigtail) is available.

"Checked Plug individually" doesn't tell much. Checked appearance? Checked for spark?

Start there & question all other checks in the same manner 'till you find an issue.

Luck

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Checking plugs and leads means nothing if you simply looked at them. As he says, detail the exact cylinders not sparking, that details the problem to be able to solve it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check the pigtail going to the coil very cafefully. I recently went through this myself, as indicated above the coils fire as pairs so one bad wire will impact two cylinders.

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey scott
5. the motor has full compression[???:)]

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Keep on saying that, the car will fix itself if you say it enough....................

Do what Scott says, there's a reason. By your own admission you are lost.

If either outside wire going into the coil connector is cracked up inside the connector two cylinders will not fire. Everything you've checked will not affect that at all, and your checks are highly suspect anyway since you are lost. Why we're asking you WHICH TWO are not firing. You can make this as easy or hard on yourself as you want...........

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe you are not understanding pigtail. We mean the connector on the front of the coil with the four small wires going into it. These wires are notorious for cracking and separating. Pull the plug wires as described above and we can figure out which wire. My advice is you need to approach this by breaking down the problem and starting with this basics. Working without a plan is guaranteed to cost more, cause more frustration, and possibly introduce additional problems.

Cheers

Scott

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Agreed - only correction is that the connector has three wires to power & ground the coil. One for power & two to ground the two sections intermittently to produce a spark.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
It will be one of the outside wires, if center one is broke you lose power to the entire coil, or no ignition at all. You lose two when one of the outside ones breaks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
2&3 are one of the pairs which fire together, so it's likely that one of the outside wires/connectors of the "pigtail" that connects to the coil is faulty.

Damage could be a ways back from the coil, harness runs near items that can damage it & doesn't have much slack.

Coil is always possible, but that seldom fails totally on two cylinders without prev. poor operation being noted on these.

Luck finding the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine was actually broken right at the connector. IMO the wire is to short and it puts a lot of strain on it, it also pulls it very tight in the wiring harness. Start at the connector and look anywhere that the wiring harness touches anything. It takes very little to ground out the wire.

Scott

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Yep to all that, look up just inside the wire connector, the break often hides where you can't see it. One of the outside wires is broken or issues further down in wiring harness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts