Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a Ford Focus MK1 2004 (facelifted). Ive had work done to the rear suspension being the ‘Lower Arms’ or ‘Wishbone’ or ‘Track Control Arm’ – I’m not completely sure of the actual name of that part. I will attach photos of the original problem. Photo 1 shows the broken bolt. Photo 2 shows the other side of the same part but where the nut is. Photo 4/5 shows the after. Photo 8/9 shows a receiving nut already welded to the Knuckle & this is where the ‘Lower Arm’ will bolt into.

One of the questions is – Does the Nut need to be welded to the bolt in order for it to not move or will a locking nut do the job? (When the nut is tight to the bolt as per photo 3/4 is there any chances of this coming undone?)

Another thing is, if you hadn’t noticed.. My Anti Roll Bar isn’t attached because the arms may be the wrong part for my Focus MK1. I will also attach a photo of what the Anti Roll Bar/links looked like before.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any end links. If you look through the bottom of the control arm gap, there should be a hole for the sway bar end link to attach to. 4.5179 | Sway Bar and Endlink Bushings - 20mm | Ford Focus 00-04
Correct, there is a hole there but from what I know with the new arm I have - The hole on that for the bar has moved just centimetres from the one in the photo in the post even though you cant see it. (This is with the new arm that ive got but isnt fitted yet)

I have the links for the bar.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
994 Posts
If you lay the arms side by side the top sway bar hole must be in the same position. The nut is supposed to be welded on but you can use just a locknut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, with this locknut - which particular one do I need?

Have you had any experiences with this kind of work yourself?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just did this job on my 04. What is wrong with the nut that is welded on? It is a locknut. Make sure you have the weight of the car on the control arms before you tighten all the bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue with the nut that was welded on - The mechanic had to cut it off because it was seized with the bolt (This is the nut thats already on the knuckle). I dont know how that bolt would've come out because the head of that bolt was broken. The previous owner of my car probly tried to undo that bolt but had snapped the head off. Photo shows this & is labeled.

I did use a Gopro & got under there to have a look at this welded/rusted nut. Photo shows this.

My problem I have now is - the Autoparts shop ive purchased a bolt kit from doesnt come with a nut/locknut for the outside bolt. Only for inside one. Ford never mentions a nut for outside bolt.

Question is - What kind of Locknut needs to be used for Lower Arm Outside Bolt?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I was under the impression that you were installing a new arm. Suspension bolts and nuts are normally grade 8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah right.. no, not installing myself. The arms thats been fitted is for the newer focus. I have a new set & hopefully they're the ones for my 2004 MK1 Focus.

With the Anti Roll Bar - this is not fitted due to the arms apparently being the wrong part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts