Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently I have been having an issue with my 2012 Ford Focus SE. The gas gauge does not show the correct amount of gas in my car. It will show that I have a half tank when it is full. However once I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, it shows fine until I have to refill the tank.

I have replaced the Purge Solenoid in the engine bay and that got rid of the check engine light that I have had (P0456).

Any help with this matter would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Use the diag mode to view the information there. This will easily tell you if you have a gauge issue, a level sensor issue, or something else.

Ford Focus MK3 hidden menu – procedure

Press and hold OK button on the steering wheel.
Turn the ignition on.
Wait for the TEST message on the trip computer display and release the button.
Use arrows to move through the menu.
Turn the ignition off to exit.

Scroll through this data using the steering wheel controls. You should see fuel level listed. Check this when full and the gauge is acting normally, and check again when the issue happens when full and see if the numbers for fuel level match up.

If they do, gauge issue. (or related hardware such as BCM)
If they do not, sender issue. (or related hardware)

From there, it should be an easy diagnose using the manual, or to report this data to a service adviser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so I did that and the diag fuel distance was at like 460 while the read-out that I normally look at is at 292.
What are somethings that I may be able to do to fix this?

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
460km = 286miles

That may be what you're looking at and misunderstanding.

What I'm saying is, you will need to look at the fuel level numeric indicator in the diags screen when the issues is AND is not happening to compare, preferrably at a known, common level(full tank).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and the gas gauge was where it is supposed to be. This time the Diag said about 740km and the one I look at normally said about 460 miles.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Sounds like either an in tank level sensor issue, or BCM translation issue. Good luck, probably a dealer head scratcher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts