Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2012 Focus SEL gave me the "Service your transmission now" warning on the weekend (about 60,000 miles). Worked very well up until then. Drove it to the dealer Monday morning, S mode didn't work and the shifts occurred at about 3400 RPM.

Dealer replaced the TCM and had the car back the same day and the shifts are now smoother than before.
Is your Focus still shifting smooth? I just got the "service your transmission now" warning also. Took it to the dealer. Picked it up and all they did was "updated PCM/TCM to most recent calibration"

I complained about getting another bandaid. They said it was all good and until it wasn't that was all they could do. 3 hours later they called me and said they just found a bulletin on replacing the TCM. Supposed to take it back in the AM. Focus only has 32k miles

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 12 SE has been in five times. The first time I got the "normal operating characteristics" speech, the next two the "programming was updated" the fourth time they "cleaned it and the programming was updated" and this last time it got new seals and clutches and the "programming was updated". However. every time it leaves the shop it comes out worse than it went in. This last time I called them on the way home form the shop and told them it was acting really weird (there is no way they actually test drove the car) and I was told "it had to do the adaptive learning and the clutches had to get broken in." The next day while driving along with cruise set to 70 the car just decided to down shift sending the RPM to 7000 and just held it there. It being Saturday I waited until Monday to call again, this time i get "the guy that works on those is out until August 2nd, you can bring it in then." Yesterday it went all kinds of crazy, again with the cruise at 70 on a straight flat road, and gave me the "Transmission Malfunction Service Now" message. My dealers response, " I told you the guy was out until August 2nd bring it then." Ugh.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, color me surprised. Fourteen months ago they replaced my clutch pack. This was AFTER I had to wait two months for the clutches to arrive at the dealership because there was a national backorder on them. The car drove great for about five months until the shudder re-appeared. I finally bit the bullet and took it to the dealership yesterday morning. I didn't hear from them all day, but imagine my surprise when I called them in the late afternoon and they told me that they had the clutch pack in stock and had just finished replacing it! Go figure.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My 12 SE has been in five times. The first time I got the "normal operating characteristics" speech, the next two the "programming was updated" the fourth time they "cleaned it and the programming was updated" and this last time it got new seals and clutches and the "programming was updated". However. every time it leaves the shop it comes out worse than it went in. This last time I called them on the way home form the shop and told them it was acting really weird (there is no way they actually test drove the car) and I was told "it had to do the adaptive learning and the clutches had to get broken in." The next day while driving along with cruise set to 70 the car just decided to down shift sending the RPM to 7000 and just held it there. It being Saturday I waited until Monday to call again, this time i get "the guy that works on those is out until August 2nd, you can bring it in then." Yesterday it went all kinds of crazy, again with the cruise at 70 on a straight flat road, and gave me the "Transmission Malfunction Service Now" message. My dealers response, " I told you the guy was out until August 2nd bring it then." Ugh.....
The "normal operating characteristics" speech is a galling insult to Ford customers who have spent their hard-earned money, expecting a decent quality car. If you have to modify how you drive that much for a dry dual clutch, then it should not have been built.

I have a 2015 "wet" dual clutch and if we all had the time to arrange for DCT focus owners to drive it, they would be enraged.

You can hand my car to your mother and she would never know it was not a torwue converter automatic.

I have had many quality and fun fords over the years, including an F150 right now, but the Ford focus with DCT transmission is an outrage and they thoroughly deserve the multiple class action lawsuits going on.

BTW, has anyone seen the customer svc reps that ford used to have here on this board ?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well, color me surprised. Fourteen months ago they replaced my clutch pack. This was AFTER I had to wait two months for the clutches to arrive at the dealership because there was a national backorder on them. The car drove great for about five months until the shudder re-appeared. I finally bit the bullet and took it to the dealership yesterday morning. I didn't hear from them all day, but imagine my surprise when I called them in the late afternoon and they told me that they had the clutch pack in stock and had just finished replacing it! Go figure.
Stories like yours are why I dumped mine in 2013, before the issues became widely known by all the other automakers.
Back then, these boards had actual ford reps here actively trying to help owners BUT everyone kept coming back several weeks to months later as the problems RETURNED.

Back then Ford and forum members here were actively trying to convince owners that many of these symptoms were "normal" and I kept asking "if the repair makes it go away, how could it be normal"

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2012 Focus Titanium made 55K miles a month ago and suddenly started having these dreaded issues. The most common progression of events is that when I'm sitting at a light or drive-through in drive and I go to start moving again, it won't engage (and the warning light comes on). It also deactivates Sport mode so I can't even shift into it. I brake and release then it catches. After that it will shift unevenly (but otherwise function normally enough to drive) until I park it and turn the engine off. After a few minutes I can crank it up and the light will still be on, but the transmission is back to normal operation. After a few more starts the light disappears. A few days will go by with normal operation and then it suddenly does it again.

It's done it about 5 times now in the last month. It comes and then goes. I haven't had any issues with it dropping out of gear while driving. It only seems to start acting up when I'm in Drive sitting still. I've noticed recently when I started leaving it in Sport while in town that I wasn't having any instances of this happening, but I can't be sure if that's a coincidence. Then this morning, it gave me the no crank routine. I left it at the house and drove my Mustang to work. When I returned this afternoon I tried it again and the car cranked right up. I'm gonna do the ground wire maintenance and go from there. If there is no permanent fix for the TCM issue on this car, then it's getting traded in. I love the car, but hate the DCT. My next one will be a manual without a doubt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I got my car back, this time with a new TCM. I have been driving for one week now and it seems to be better but about the time I think it's doing better it does something stupid. Like, down shift at 70MPH with the cruise control on or go form 1st to 2nd and back to 1st while pulling out on to a street. One other oddity (perhaps it's the new normal) in conditions that cause me to fluctuate my speed up and down buy 5MPH or so (briskly moving work traffic or a crowded highway), every time I let off the gas it seems the car disengages the clutch. This is more noticeable at highway speeds. For example; I'm driving along at 65MPH at 2400RPM I let off the gas for a second or two and the RPM drops to 1000 I press the gas again and the RPM rises to 2800-3000 then I feel the car jerk as the clutch engages and the RPM drops back to 2200-2400 as now I need increase my speed back to 65MPH. I do mean every time, no matter the speed, creeping along at 20MPH or running at 75MPH, it makes no difference.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
My 2012 Focus Titanium made 55K miles a month ago and suddenly started having these dreaded issues. The most common progression of events is that when I'm sitting at a light or drive-through in drive and I go to start moving again, it won't engage (and the warning light comes on). It also deactivates Sport mode so I can't even shift into it. I brake and release then it catches. After that it will shift unevenly (but otherwise function normally enough to drive) until I park it and turn the engine off. After a few minutes I can crank it up and the light will still be on, but the transmission is back to normal operation. After a few more starts the light disappears. A few days will go by with normal operation and then it suddenly does it again.

It's done it about 5 times now in the last month. It comes and then goes. I haven't had any issues with it dropping out of gear while driving. It only seems to start acting up when I'm in Drive sitting still. I've noticed recently when I started leaving it in Sport while in town that I wasn't having any instances of this happening, but I can't be sure if that's a coincidence. Then this morning, it gave me the no crank routine. I left it at the house and drove my Mustang to work. When I returned this afternoon I tried it again and the car cranked right up. I'm gonna do the ground wire maintenance and go from there. If there is no permanent fix for the TCM issue on this car, then it's getting traded in. I love the car, but hate the DCT. My next one will be a manual without a doubt.
[screwy]

Take it in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
[screwy]

Take it in?
I got the ground wire situation handled and put in a fresh battery (the old one was showing low voltage when I tested it so it was probably on its way out anyways). Car has been starting up every time like a champ for the last day or so and no more instances of the DCT acting up again yet. I think a combination of the ground wire corrosion and low battery was playing hell with the electronics and such. It's odd that my TCM issue would come and then go, and the issue when it did arise was just mildly annoying shift clumsiness. If it does start acting up more frequently then I'll be trading her in for a shiny new ST [grinking]

·
Registered
367 Posts
Had clutch packs replaced again, 3rd time, so hoping for buy back. I'm going with Stern Law in SE MI. Mass action.

DCT is meant for "pleasure driving" in Europe, not US traffic conditions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best analogy I've heard describing the symptoms of the PowerShift transmission problems:
"An automotive equivalent of an epileptic seizure."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is anyone from Ford's PR department still monitoring these threads?

Had the Trans in our '12 rebuilt last month. Now, my wife has been stranded twice due to a faulty TCM. Took it back to the dealer, who of course couldn't recreate the problem, nor could they find any fault codes. So they buttoned it back up and handed it back to us.

I'm so sick of this car, I can't wait to be rid of it. Has anyone done any research into the class action suit that's currently pending here in California? We've received a notice in the mail regarding the suit, but wondering if anyone has any additional information.

And Ford, if you're reading this, my wife would like to move up to a new Fusion-- tell me why I should even consider staying with Ford after this six year nightmare.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Is anyone from Ford's PR department still monitoring these threads?

Had the Trans in our '12 rebuilt last month. Now, my wife has been stranded twice due to a faulty TCM. Took it back to the dealer, who of course couldn't recreate the problem, nor could they find any fault codes. So they buttoned it back up and handed it back to us.

I'm so sick of this car, I can't wait to be rid of it. Has anyone done any research into the class action suit that's currently pending here in California? We've received a notice in the mail regarding the suit, but wondering if anyone has any additional information.

And Ford, if you're reading this, my wife would like to move up to a new Fusion-- tell me why I should even consider staying with Ford after this six year nightmare.
I just did a yahoo search for the words focus transmission lawsuit and found several. My best advice is to read up for yourself. Even this forum itself put forth a lot of mis-information over the years, albeit well-intended. There have been all sorts of posts and threads on how you are driving it wrong, how you should repair grounded wires, changes to your air intake and/or modify how you drive it....all for a brand new car that should run fine.

years ago now there were ford cust svc reps constantly helping people on these boards, but as the years went by and problems remained unresolved, they have faded away. Ford focus used to have its own facebook page but so many were posting about the DCT tranny that Ford folded the page into a larger one, where the complaints were buried better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took it back to the dealer, who of course couldn't recreate the problem, nor could they find any fault codes.
I don't think they even test drive the cars anymore, if the computer says "nope" then they say "nope". The time before last (new clutches and TCM) when I picked up the car it was worse than when I took it in. Then they gave me the "it takes ten days for the computer to learn how you drive again" speech, it only took three days for the transmission malfunction error to show up that time.

I too have considered the new Fusion, but it would be like rewarding a child for their bad behavior. Unfortunately, it may be the only way to get "good" money out of the Focus. I'm to the point where my conscious won't let me sell it to an individual. My Focus is going to leave me stranded or in a wreck; I won't let my kids (6 and 8) ride with me in it anymore.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I was crusing on the highway and when I exited the highway I wanted to enter the roundabout but I had no power at all transfered to the wheels (the car went into neutral) and check engine turned ON. I had to be towed to the dealer but while I was waiting for the towing, I pulled the codes: P2862, P287B and P2837. They replaced the TCM (under emission warranty, 8 years) and all good. Car was in at the dealer at 10AM, 3PM the car was ready.

I am posting this because I have seen no post related to the above codes.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I was crusing on the highway and when I exited the highway I wanted to enter the roundabout but I had no power at all transfered to the wheels (the car went into neutral) and check engine turned ON. I had to be towed to the dealer but while I was waiting for the towing, I pulled the codes: P2862, P287B and P2837. They replaced the TCM (under emission warranty, 8 years) and all good. Car was in at the dealer at 10AM, 3PM the car was ready.

I am posting this because I have seen no post related to the above codes.
Interesting. TCM replacement codes that they're looking for are: P0606, U0101, U0100 etc.

161 - 180 of 196 Posts