Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having the TCM symptoms, but only when it was hot out. Then went away for a while... then it was really hot 100° while parked in sun and it would not show R or S, nor go into R and only go into 1st gear. Poured water over trans area, and then it worked fine.

This morning, nope, being towed to dealership. Won't go into R, but displays it, won't display S either.

2012 Focus Titanium, 142k.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the "Transmission fault service now" indicated, is there a way to tell what the problem is, ie TCM, clutches?

I am currently in limp mode and drive it about a mile home, okay to drive to dealership or should I have it towed?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
TCM is most likely, showing it to the Dealer as is would be lovely if it's within that mile.

Often a shut down & restart sets it back to normal operation, and "codes" may not be present if you didn't take it in for the 15B22 update.

As long as it runs/drives there isn't an obvious reason to pay for a tow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
TCM is most likely, showing it to the Dealer as is would be lovely if it's within that mile.

Often a shut down & restart sets it back to normal operation, and "codes" may not be present if you didn't take it in for the 15B22 update.

As long as it runs/drives there isn't an obvious reason to pay for a tow.
Thanks. I had a firmware update after the 15B22 came out (actually I think more than one...) but none of my paperwork explicitly states 15B22 was done, so not sure it was or not.

The transmission fault message persists on restart, so hopefully the codes do as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I have a 2013 Focus. Last Saturday (8/13), I started my car and the instrument cluster and stereo lost all power. The car was running fine, a/c worked, and lights worked. The dealer couldn't see the car until Friday (8/19) and I drove to work like normal throughout the week. Then, on Thursday (8/18), I went to leave my parking spot at work and while I was pulling out, the car lurched forward like it was about to die. I tapped the gas and it accelerated like normal. A few hours later, I was going to get coolant, and it was driving fine. I stopped at a red light and when I started going again, the engine revved so loud and the car was going no where. It was like I was sitting in neutral. I was able to pull off but I was crawling. I turned the car off and restarted it and was working like normal. I ended up taking it to the Antelope Valley Ford dealer that night and told them what had happened but they said they couldn't look at my transmission for at least another 2 weeks! They didn't seem to take this seriously or think it was dangerous. I was able to talk to the service center later yesterday, only to find out that Quicklane CANCELED my transmission appointment even though I confirmed it with them. So, Ford service got me in for a diagnostic on Tuesday (8/23).

The tech reprogrammed the instrument cluster and everything's working again. So, on my way home, my check engine light came on. It stayed working the whole way home which is about 8 miles and only went from 2nd to 4th gear once. They said I could have a bad TCM but that they would have to order a part and that could take weeks.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Dealers vary a LOT in service availability and overall quality of the experience. And as one tech who's a member mentioned this is their busiest season with most work backed up a couple weeks for regular appointments at his location.

The best ones are better at squeezing in emergencies, and if you bought the car there it can help. Others don't seem to care, unless you have special "pull" there.

TCM replacement isn't a huge job, the clutch replacement for "shudder" is one that usually needs scheduling in advance since it's a full days work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealers vary a LOT in service availability and overall quality of the experience. And as one tech who's a member mentioned this is their busiest season with most work backed up a couple weeks for regular appointments at his location.

The best ones are better at squeezing in emergencies, and if you bought the car there it can help. Others don't seem to care, unless you have special "pull" there.

TCM replacement isn't a huge job, the clutch replacement for "shudder" is one that usually needs scheduling in advance since it's a full days work.
Well, the tech who reprogrammed my instrument cluster, said he thought my clutch was going bad. Then, when I talked to another service rep, he said it sounded like a bad TCM so I'll find out for sure on Tuesday what's going on. Just so stressful since this is my only car and they don't seem to think it's very important. I've only had my car for a year and a half and really enjoyed it so this is disappointing[:(] I'm just hoping once they fix it, that it stays fixed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My car is currently at my Ford dealership with diagnosis of a bad TCM and they stated 3 to 4 days at most to get the part. They also mentioned that even clutches were not that bad of a delay. Contact Ford customer service, that can certainly speed up parts in some cases.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car is currently at my Ford dealership with diagnosis of a bad TCM and they stated 3 to 4 days at most to get the part. They also mentioned that even clutches were not that bad of a delay. Contact Ford customer service, that can certainly speed up parts in some cases.
Ok, that's not too bad. Hopefully that's the timeframe here. Should I wait until I get the diagnosis before calling Ford customer service?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
No point trying to speed up an order not made yet, without an official diagnosis.

They couldn't do a priority order for "car down" until then, or whatever version of that they use.

I'm betting on the TCM from your story as the diagnosis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No point trying to speed up an order not made yet, without an official diagnosis.

They couldn't do a priority order for "car down" until then, or whatever version of that they use.

I'm betting on the TCM from your story as the diagnosis.

I'm hoping so since that seems to be the fastest repair time.

When they were fixing the instrument cluster, he ran the code reader and nothing came up...but now my check engine light's on so can they go off of that?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Maybe, if anything registers in the memory.

They offered an optional update earlier in the year to add trouble codes for more TCM issues, too few left a solid code or gave an early warning.

The 15B22 update described in a stickie here is the one. Don't think too many took advantage of that unless in for other work already, letters get ignored unless there is a current issue & can also go missing easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe, if anything registers in the memory.

They offered an optional update earlier in the year to add trouble codes for more TCM issues, too few left a solid code or gave an early warning.

The 15B22 update described in a stickie here is the one. Don't think too many took advantage of that unless in for other work already, letters get ignored unless there is a current issue & can also go missing easily.
Ok, I'll look that up.

If they can't get any codes, will they still repair my TCM? I'm afraid they won't do anything without codes.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
They did 'em before that and still do them now when it's not avail., but it DOES make it easier to get the diagnosis & repair quicker. It can help avoid false leads to other items that can cause similar troubles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone after reading most of the tread I thought maybe I should share my story and maybe you guys can help me out. Last night my tcm gave out while out to dinner(birthday dinner) as soon as I was leave the restaurant I realized my car wouldn't start, all electronics worked but it wouldn't turn on. After about an hour of looking of causes and trying different things I figured the car took pity on me and I managed to start it. I was able to drive it about 4 miles home and parked it my driveway. I then tried turning it on again after I got home and it gave me a hard time. So this morning I went ahead at swung by my local dealership and they told me to go ahead and bring in the vin and the car if possible. I managed to get it to turn on and went to the dealer ship, where they ran the vin and said my emissions warranty was still valid. Only thing was that the recalls were not showing up. So my dealer went ahead and submitted a claim to ford and he should be getting back to me in about half an hour. I just wanted to know if there had been a stop on the recall or what the deal was, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Shouldn't be any issue with a '13 on TCM coverage, warranty extension program covers ALL through 2015 from when it was initiated in '14 (best date I remember offhand, it covered the next year even tough they weren't around yet).

The details of actual warranty procedure shouldn't be a large concern, claims are actually filed using the existing warranties first before rolling over to the extension once all others run out.

It actually is covered first by the Bumper to Bumper warranty, followed by the Power Train warranty when that runs out, then the Emissions one, and finally the extension program.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I think I forgot to mention my car is a reconditioned title, will that affect anything? I know all the other warranties were cancelled except the emissions. Is there still hoped I don't have to pay the full amount?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
There's still hope.

TCM coverage seems to be honored despite salvage title, the one I remember best was offered a 1 day rental (too young to accept) and that's part of the 14M02 TCM warranty extension.

It's been questioned before, there's another thread here where confirmation by a Ford rep. was mentioned.

14M01 for clutches/seals/programming JUST came up as NOT honored this week, only the one mention I remember on that. One time isn't as good a proof, still believable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well my 2014 Titanium just hit 66000 miles and it looks like the TCM decided it wanted to crap out. We were traveling south on I-81 when we lost all power. Luckily we had just enough room to get off on the shoulder. The car restarted but would not go above 55 MPH. It is at the dealer right now, we will see what they have to say about it.

121 - 140 of 196 Posts