Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should try my tune , I can make your sport mode work like it should and shift when you hit the button not when it wants to shift on its own ,

I can more then likely cure all your TCM issues and I doubt your clutches are bad ,
I doubt any of the clutches that were changed were bad other then the ones that got oil on them

I have a 2012 and still on stock clutches and TCM . all problems cured and VERY good MPG as well with my tune

Tom
I might be interested after the new warranty is up, haven't had any issues with the trans just the TCM

·
Registered
77 Posts
No need to double post. It's your dealer not not ford treating you that way. If you're not comfortable with them find another dealer.
Sorry about that, Still new to the forum thing and wasn't sure how to proceed. As for now will see about the dealer, Im more frustrated about all the stories and am expecting the worst hoping for the best. The DCT has been good to me and is a bit scary to think it could be a bigger issue than Id like to admit.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Helps to remember that a Dealer can only deal with a problem as it presents itself, and shouldn't speculate on possibilities the way we can here without actually seeing the car & checking it out.

Go in first with a battery condition warning and a story about occasional not cranking right, the automatic checks & repair concentrate on checking battery & charging system condition and fixing what doesn't pass (this case the battery).

You got symptoms after that pointing toward the TCM as a cause of starting problems and the Dealer actually said as much over the phone. Having it come up on a Holiday is the only thing slowing down the process at this point that we know of from your story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No reverse and rough shifting, bucking

Ok, this seems to be a familiar refrain. I have a 2013 Focus SE automatic 60k miles, had it 16 months. It has had a slight shudder in low gears, between 2 nd and 3 rd i think, but this weekend i got in the car and no reverse. Car acts like it is in neutral, and takes two or three turns of the key before it starts. Is this symptomatic of a failing TCM?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ok, this seems to be a familiar refrain. I have a 2013 Focus SE automatic 60k miles, had it 16 months. It has had a slight shudder in low gears, between 2 nd and 3 rd i think, but this weekend i got in the car and no reverse. Car acts like it is in neutral, and takes two or three turns of the key before it starts. Is this symptomatic of a failing TCM?
Spot on symptoms of the TCM, take it into ford. Shouldn't take long if they have the part

You get 1 free day of Rental car too under the warranty extension

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sadly you're correct, it IS a familiar refrain.
I wish you all the best but it is possible that next you will see problems with the clutches, long waits for parts and so on.
Also, you can get help from the Ford reps here, but most folks eventually come back to the forum when the problems return.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sadly you're correct, it IS a familiar refrain.
I wish you all the best but it is possible that next you will see problems with the clutches, long waits for parts and so on.
Also, you can get help from the Ford reps here, but most folks eventually come back to the forum when the problems return.
Or it may be just fine like thousands of others.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Or it may be just fine like thousands of others.
Thats what I would really like to know, just what percent of production is it. I totally agree that the hundreds of posts here is not a representative sample because more will come looking for help than will ever come to say "everything is fine".

I think one giveaway is there are so many posts about parts backlogs, month after month after month.

There were quite a few people complaining over at Fords Facebook page for the focus, but they folded it into the main company page several weeks ago.

Another bad sign is when Focus owners go to get their rental, the girl behind the counter asks them if its a Fiesta or Focus being repaired.

I wish I could get a look at the true stats on what percent of production it was(IS)

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Ok, this seems to be a familiar refrain. I have a 2013 Focus SE automatic 60k miles, had it 16 months...
Spot on symptoms of the TCM, take it into ford...
Welcome to the community, Englishphd! [welcome]

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. I agree with your forum member IlikePizza, and I also recommend taking your vehicle to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. You can set an appointment, here. Let me know how your dealer visit goes. If further assistance is needed at that time, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.

Also, you can get help from the Ford reps here...
Thanks for the mention, mr_cassandra.

Enjoy the rest of your evening! [hihi]

Tricia

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Welcome to the community, Englishphd! [welcome]

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. I agree with your forum member IlikePizza, and I also recommend taking your vehicle to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. You can set an appointment, here. Let me know how your dealer visit goes. If further assistance is needed at that time, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.

Thanks for the mention, mr_cassandra.

Enjoy the rest of your evening! [hihi]

Tricia
You're welcome Tricia. Though I have taken some heat for my opinion on this over the past few years here, I have always believed that you and your fellow Ford reps, here and at the now closed Focus Facebook page, are sincerely trying to get help for owners with DCT transmission problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have a 2012 Focus SE, and it started off as a delayed start (1-3 seconds) to no start at all, even though all the electronics work. I had it towed to Ford and the they've had it since the 12th of April. They have replaced the Starter, the ignition housing assembly and reflashed the TCM... According to the service Rep, still experiencing the same symptoms. Car only had 25,000 miles and a 5 year/60000 mile Warranty. Any help?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
They're guessing, and could have tested the starter/ign. housing (switch) instead of replacing them.

TCM issues are the most common problem, if it doesn't go through it's pre-start cycle the system won't allow it to crank & start. You may have heard things cycling after opening the door, that needs to happen for it to start.

Ignition "crank" position on these only tells it to initiate an automatic starting cycle, not a direct control of the starter motor as on earlier models. They're going at it as if it was one of the older cars with those replacement parts, just trying new instead of testing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Right, it's not like my motorcycle where I have to hold til it starts. The newer cars have an auto start. So, if the reflash didn't work, it's probably safe to say they need to replace the TCM itself? Because all electronics work. Except the start.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You can't be sure of all electronics working, just that they aren't working to operate the starter.

TCM replacement is a Guess, just like the other items they tried. However it's harder to check than the other items and a known issue for starting when not operating properly.

They seem pretty lost, should have been able to test for presence or absence of the control voltage to the starter when the start cycle works - and check the starter just by applying voltage there to make it turn. If it isn't getting that signal, something in the starting sequence is not working.

Should also know about that pre-start sequence and know whether it's happening or not for the most basic check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a feeling I have just fallen into the TCM nightmare. Today I drove the car to lunch and back and then 30 minutes later whet to leave again and the car won't start. Appears to have all power, just no start when the key is turned. My car is a 2012 Focus with just over 90K miles. I have had the car at the dealer four different times to have recall work done on the auto transmission problems, twice having the clutch packs replaced. I don't see on the receipts that they ever replaced the TCM but every receipt says they "reprogrammed it". My question is where they have worked on it in the past (most recently as of 11/04/15), if it is the TCM, am I going to have to eat the cost of replacement?

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I have a feeling I have just fallen into the TCM nightmare. Today I drove the car to lunch and back and then 30 minutes later whet to leave again and the car won't start. Appears to have all power, just no start when the key is turned. My car is a 2012 Focus with just over 90K miles. I have had the car at the dealer four different times to have recall work done on the auto transmission problems, twice having the clutch packs replaced. I don't see on the receipts that they ever replaced the TCM but every receipt says they "reprogrammed it". My question is where they have worked on it in the past (most recently as of 11/04/15), if it is the TCM, am I going to have to eat the cost of replacement?
Thankfully the tcm is far from a nightmare now. It's a simple fix, should be a day at most. Was for me anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a quick follow up. Had the car towed to the dealer this morning (thank goodness for AAA). A few hours later I had my answer, indeed it was the TCM keeping it from starting (covered under the extended warranty). Have only driven it about 1 mile at this point but already I can tell the transmission is working/shifting much better. Here's to hopping it stays that way. It has been better in the past when they reprogrammed the TCM, but hopefully replacing it will solve my problems once and for all.

101 - 120 of 196 Posts