·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
WOW ! a lot of response from this , more then I though , I feel for you guys

I need to know

year of Focus
issues
what Ford has done to correct issues

Please PM me with this info if your interested in trying a tune to fix this , I am going to choose the worst DCT and see what I can do with him/hers then have his/her report back

Tom

·
Registered
45 Posts
TCM shot

2012 Focus, 98,000 Kms, shifter got stuck in park and then when I got it out of park,while driving it just started to rev. Shut it off and it thought it was stuck in drive no matter where the shifter was. It finally started after an hour of trying and took it to Ford where they said this was a common problem and they were going to change the TCM.

·
Registered
129 Posts
symptoms beginning to creep back in. yesterday I attempted to pass some one doing highway speeds and the RPM's shot up up, transmission finally caught, then were able to pass. One day some one is going to get seriously hurt because this car failed to respond at the proper time.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
symptoms beginning to creep back in. yesterday I attempted to pass some one doing highway speeds and the RPM's shot up up, transmission finally caught, then were able to pass. One day some one is going to get seriously hurt because this car failed to respond at the proper time.
I agree, this particular issue, which I also had; is a highway safety hazard and any focus owner who experiences this should report it to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have your message, and will check into this.

Meagan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Car is back in the shop. CSR called about two hrs later stating the TCM went out again.

Bad part is the 1 day loaner program. Am without this car for 5 total days due to it being over the weekend. Expect the repair to be complete by 4DEC. HOPEFULLY, this will be the last time.

Meagan was great insisting I take it back in as soon as the symptoms occurred again. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had/Have a problem with the TCM. About 3 months ago I drove down the street to the store, then when I tried to start the car, nothing, no clicking no anything. Spent an hour trying to figure it out checking for any melted wires ect and nothing. Rented a car trailer and for the heck of it tried to start it again, it fired right up followed by the change oil light, btw i had just changed the oil a week before. Took it to the dealer around 80k miles on it, thank you extended warrenty, they said it was a TCM fault and they replaced it. A week or 2 later we got a letter saying the original TCM was recalled. We assumed that having a new one ment we didnt need to take it in to get it fixed again. Just this morning on my way to work stopped to get gas and it decideds it wants to do the no start thing again, this time with low battery warnings and clicking from the starter, even if the key was not fully in ignition. Attempted jump start with no results ended up pushing the car out of the way and trying to jumpstart again an hour later, this time it starts with the warning of transmision fault service now, then check engine warning then no warining lights all in a matter of 1 min. Hauled it to ford dealer again, result TCM malfunction. There were no warrning signs and now we have 98k on it so it wont be covered for much longer, my question is, is there an acctual fix for this or is it time to trade in for a different vehicle before the warenty runs out?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
TCM warranty extension is until 10/150k so you aren't near the end of it yet.

14M02 thread stickied at the top of the page.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice that the warranty doesn't run out until 150k but skabialkah and a lot of us others on here are tired of running back to the dealer every 3-6 months to get this thing replaced and then having to deal with the no Ford provided rental car situation.

Ford needs to stop putting band-aids on this and fix the problem!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nice that the warranty doesn't run out until 150k but skabialkah and a lot of us others on here are tired of running back to the dealer every 3-6 months to get this thing replaced and then having to deal with the no Ford provided rental car situation.

Ford needs to stop putting band-aids on this and fix the problem!
It's a supplier issue(I know ford ultimately responsible) The replacements had the same issue as the originals, this is why 15B22 was issued. It warns(and stores) the owner when symptoms of a failure start. The newest version is fixed, not sure how much inventory(if any) they are going to continue to use. Or at least this is what my sources tell me.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Had/Have a problem with the TCM. About 3 months ago I drove down the street to the store, then when I tried to start the car, nothing, no clicking no anything. Spent an hour trying to figure it out checking for any melted wires ect and nothing. Rented a car trailer and for the heck of it tried to start it again, it fired right up followed by the change oil light, btw i had just changed the oil a week before. Took it to the dealer around 80k miles on it, thank you extended warrenty, they said it was a TCM fault and they replaced it. A week or 2 later we got a letter saying the original TCM was recalled. We assumed that having a new one ment we didnt need to take it in to get it fixed again. Just this morning on my way to work stopped to get gas and it decideds it wants to do the no start thing again, this time with low battery warnings and clicking from the starter, even if the key was not fully in ignition. Attempted jump start with no results ended up pushing the car out of the way and trying to jumpstart again an hour later, this time it starts with the warning of transmision fault service now, then check engine warning then no warining lights all in a matter of 1 min. Hauled it to ford dealer again, result TCM malfunction. There were no warrning signs and now we have 98k on it so it wont be covered for much longer, my question is, is there an acctual fix for this or is it time to trade in for a different vehicle before the warenty runs out?
Hi skabialkah,

Welcome to the forum! I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's a supplier issue(I know ford ultimately responsible) The replacements had the same issue as the originals, this is why 15B22 was issued. It warns(and stores) the owner when symptoms of a failure start. The newest version is fixed, not sure how much inventory(if any) they are going to continue to use. Or at least this is what my sources tell me.
This will be the second, maybe third TCM installed. We shall see how long it lasts. Know its negative but one can only base future assumptions on past performances. May this prove me wrong and be the exception.

I got no indications and warnings on the dash. Just your typical hesitation, RPM increase with no acceleration and so on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did you have TSB 15B22 installed previously?

Don't know what they installed, they stated they changed the TCM and that is what is written on the work order. More symptoms have crept in since this last repair...

The one I really don't like is when I accelerated from about 45 to about 65 and the RPM's and speed continued to increase when I left off the gas. Tapped the brake and that stopped the RPM and speed increase. Don't know what is causing it, but up until this last "fix" the car never did this before. Still experiencing transmission slippage and lack of power from a full stop intermittently.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reading these posts im worried my dealer might give me the run around. My 2012 SEL just died and wont start. Cant take it to the dealer cause of New Years and I have to work Monday. Called my dealer and the service adviser said "sounds like you need a TCM" Sould I be worried? How long do these repairs take? My car only has 50k and I just spent 150 bucks there on a battery thinking it was the issue cause it was 3 years old. Will thy provide me with a courtesy car? How do I get it there if I cant get it to start again, will they tow it there for me? They have been pretty mum on this. Have said in a service request that "it was starting to shutter and couldn't start". You think they would have been forthright before I spent my money. Whats starting to make me mad was they played these problems off like it was nothing and did so in front of my 3yr son. Is this what I can expect from ford in the future?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Reading these posts im worried my dealer might give me the run around. My 2012 SEL just died and wont start. Cant take it to the dealer cause of New Years and I have to work Monday. Called my dealer and the service adviser said "sounds like you need a TCM" Sould I be worried? How long do these repairs take? My car only has 50k and I just spent 150 bucks there on a battery thinking it was the issue cause it was 3 years old. Will thy provide me with a courtesy car? How do I get it there if I cant get it to start again, will they tow it there for me? They have been pretty mum on this. Have said in a service request that "it was starting to shutter and couldn't start". You think they would have been forthright before I spent my money. Whats starting to make me mad was they played these problems off like it was nothing and did so in front of my 3yr son. Is this what I can expect from ford in the future?
No need to double post. It's your dealer not not ford treating you that way. If you're not comfortable with them find another dealer.

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Welp, my issue with the 3rd to 4th gear auto shift while in sport mode is back. UGH...what a PITA!
You should try my tune , I can make your sport mode work like it should and shift when you hit the button not when it wants to shift on its own ,

I can more then likely cure all your TCM issues and I doubt your clutches are bad ,
I doubt any of the clutches that were changed were bad other then the ones that got oil on them

I have a 2012 and still on stock clutches and TCM . all problems cured and VERY good MPG as well with my tune

Tom

81 - 100 of 194 Posts