Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 196 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
And here's a recent thread with fresh info. today that looks like an upcoming aid for future "no code" TCM issues:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/594257-field-service-action-15b22.html

A fix for the "no code" TCM issues to add warning/code reporting capabilities long noted as not adequate from reports here is another small step forward.

Would have saved you a lot of grief Frandia if it had come out just a LITTLE while ago.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Today the transmission was at its worse, even around town it was slipping and shifting at will. On the way home, while in sport mode, the car actually self-shifted from 2nd to 4th. Never done this one before. Several times I had to floor the car to get it go anywhere only to have the RPM's come up to about 5500 and just hang there with no acceleration. The motor was rev'ing so loud during one attempted pass that the person I was passing had this very concerned look on their face, as if the motor may blow up.

Need the car this weekend but Ford will be getting a call on Monday to get this thing scheduled for whatever is next in this process.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't think I have seen any posts about 2015 DCT problems, not even one ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Today the transmission was at its worse, even around town it was slipping and shifting at will. On the way home, while in sport mode, the car actually self-shifted from 2nd to 4th. Never done this one before. Several times I had to floor the car to get it go anywhere only to have the RPM's come up to about 5500 and just hang there with no acceleration. The motor was rev'ing so loud during one attempted pass that the person I was passing had this very concerned look on their face, as if the motor may blow up.

Need the car this weekend but Ford will be getting a call on Monday to get this thing scheduled for whatever is next in this process.
Nothing improved over the weekend, in fact when we had to merge onto a major interstate the car, true to form, started to buck. This time was something new, a 2nd to 4th shift. Talk about losing power when you need it. Will be contacting AV Ford today about getting this thing. Once complete, will be looking to get rid of it. Even my wife complained about it as she had to drive home and attempted to pass a car what did she say? Oh yeah, "this thing is ball less and needs to go before we get killed in it". Our Jeep JK, rolling 37's out performs this car in the passing dept. Shame really as when the transmission is working, the car really isn't that bad. Saw a nice SHO yesterday but am thinking it is time to change manufacturers until my faith can be restored in Ford.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Called AV Ford, they are working with regional rep with some stuff but they will be taking the car back soon and replacing the clutches. Shame of all this is, Ford knows what the problems is, just fix it and stop putting band aids on a wound you know needs stitches. Now to see how long the repair process is going to take.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Called AV Ford, they are working with regional rep with some stuff but they will be taking the car back soon and replacing the clutches. Shame of all this is, Ford knows what the problems is, just fix it and stop putting band aids on a wound you know needs stitches. Now to see how long the repair process is going to take.
The car shifting gears on its own while in manumatic/PowerShift mode doesn't sound like a clutch problem at all to me. Maybe the clutch is slipping and that's why it feels like it has no balls, but shifting from 2->4 when you want it to stay in 2? That's weird. Especially because I thought you already had your TCM replaced - that dealer needs a tech that can do a better diagnosis or get an engineer to come out there.

The only weird shifting problems I have is when I push either the +/- button as soon as the car decides to shift (while in D or S) and it ends up shifting twice. But that doesn't appear to be what is happening in your case.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The car shifting gears on its own while in manumatic/PowerShift mode doesn't sound like a clutch problem at all to me. Maybe the clutch is slipping and that's why it feels like it has no balls, but shifting from 2->4 when you want it to stay in 2? That's weird. Especially because I thought you already had your TCM replaced - that dealer needs a tech that can do a better diagnosis or get an engineer to come out there.

The only weird shifting problems I have is when I push either the +/- button as soon as the car decides to shift (while in D or S) and it ends up shifting twice. But that doesn't appear to be what is happening in your case.
That is just part of it, yesterday while attempting to accelerate to pass, the RPM's went up to about 5100, just hung there while the car did not accelerate. Finally the transmission grabbed and we were off. Happened about 3 times on my 35 mile commute. Then also yesterday, after stopping then making a left hand turn, the car stumbled and stuttered, transmission locked up and all was fine for a bit.

Something new occurred yesterday. Made a left hand turn and had to force the steering wheel back straight, I mean some effort. Happened twice, about 1/4 mile after start up, then again about 1 mile after the same start up after a left hand turn. Hasn't happened since.

What I noticed with the auto shift, is it didn't occur right after the first time Ford had the car, took a couple of days and once it started the other symptoms came back with a vengeance.

Today it goes to AV Ford to get the clutches replaced. Am hoping this fixes it, for good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got the car back late yesterday. Only drove it home, 40-45 MPH, as that the speed limit on the secondary roads we traveled. So far so good, we will see how it does after repeated use. Am hoping this fixed the issue.

Kudos to AV Ford for the 1.5 day turnaround on this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The shudder we feel as we pull away from a stop has returned. Started last night and was hoping it was a fluke. Did it every time during our short jaunt out and about tonight. At pick up the CSR informed me that for this repair I have to put at least 2k miles on it before bringing it back again for this issue. The reasoning was to allow the clutches to seat. Shame really, was starting to enjoy driving the car again. Power was good, accelerations was smooth, every thing working as it should be.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just wish that Ford would be more transparent about the DCT issue - it has to be more than just the clutch pack. My 2012 SEL developed problems pretty soon after buying it in June 2012, and still had intermittent issues after clutch replacement.

My 2015 hasn't even had a hiccup, even though it's on the same clutch pack as earlier models that are still having issues, although I was on "C" after replacement.

It has to be the transmission as a whole - I remember someone here got an entirely new crate transmission, which demonstrates (to me) that there was a design flaw in the transmission itself - at least in the earliest model.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The shudder we feel as we pull away from a stop has returned. Started last night and was hoping it was a fluke. Did it every time during our short jaunt out and about tonight. At pick up the CSR informed me that for this repair I have to put at least 2k miles on it before bringing it back again for this issue. The reasoning was to allow the clutches to seat. Shame really, was starting to enjoy driving the car again. Power was good, accelerations was smooth, every thing working as it should be.
Car sat in the garage for 24hrs, then we took it around town. No shudder from a stop was noticed, and no random shifting. Power seemed to be good too. See how it does this afternoon after sitting in the hot sun for 10hrs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cars has not hiccuped in the last two days. Only issue in the last two has been that at one point, there seemed to be no power while pulling away from a red light. Put my foot in it and it went, no slipping, no vibrations, nothing, just pulled away from the light as it should. Hasn't done it since. Of course now that this has been written, today's commute will be nightmarish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
add my mk3 to the list...

Having the vehicle shift itself out of gear and intro neutral [while still indicating that the car is in gear] seems to be one set of symptoms.

There are others, accompanied by flashing indicators, engine trouble codes, and failure to start with the transmission indicator showing 'P'.

Sometimes the problem seems to clear itself, and the car can be restarted and driven.
Mine had been doing the slip into neutral thing intermittently, along with some jerkiness in shifting. Then it got to where it would slip into neutral and I'd have to sit on the side of the road for 10 min before it would go back into gear. I took it to the dealership hoping it was part of Ford's extended warranty on the clutch seal, but they told me the clutch is fine, it's the TCM. They want $1300 for the repair. Ouch!!!!

Interesting note: before I started having TCM-esque symptoms, I previously have experienced several times where I get in the car and turn the key and it won't turn over. Nothing--not a dead battery (I had it checked)--an electronic type of 'no response'. The dealership couldn't figure it out.
my vehicle is also having these symptoms, the transmission has "slipped into neutral" on three separate occasions. I first had it towed to Cerritos Ford, they told me there were no problems and I had been driving it in 1st. It happened the 3rd time Friday and now it is sitting at Caruso Ford in Long Beach. The dealer says they can't verify, I PM'd meagan but all she was able to do was open a ticket. I spoke with the district rep and he confirmed ford won't do anything until they verify, and they video I took of it happening is just hearsay. I am terrified of the car and refuse to pick it up, this is safety issue! Some lemon law lawyers are making a mint off the problems...while customers are getting screwed left and right.

edit:

here are videos I took of my dash showing the check engine light is on. Ford claims when they looked, it was not on and there were no codes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyjLuIPmbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthqufG5-tU

·
Registered
2 Posts
follow up

Just to let everyone know that Caruso Ford did end up coming through on this and they replaced the TCM. They had my car for 2.5 weeks.

The district rep was not a help; in fact, he just stressed me out more! After Caruso told me they were going to replace the TCM, he called days later and said they WERE NOT replacing it. All I can do is hope he was incorrect and they really did replace it as they claim my paperwork states. I have had the car back for one week and it has not died yet. I know some owners have had multiple TCM replacements, so my fingers are crossed.

my vehicle is also having these symptoms, the transmission has "slipped into neutral" on three separate occasions. I first had it towed to Cerritos Ford, they told me there were no problems and I had been driving it in 1st. It happened the 3rd time Friday and now it is sitting at Caruso Ford in Long Beach. The dealer says they can't verify, I PM'd meagan but all she was able to do was open a ticket. I spoke with the district rep and he confirmed ford won't do anything until they verify, and they video I took of it happening is just hearsay. I am terrified of the car and refuse to pick it up, this is safety issue! Some lemon law lawyers are making a mint off the problems...while customers are getting screwed left and right.

edit:

here are videos I took of my dash showing the check engine light is on. Ford claims when they looked, it was not on and there were no codes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyjLuIPmbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthqufG5-tU

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just to let everyone know that Caruso Ford did end up coming through on this and they replaced the TCM. They had my car for 2.5 weeks.

The district rep was not a help; in fact, he just stressed me out more! After Caruso told me they were going to replace the TCM, he called days later and said they WERE NOT replacing it. All I can do is hope he was incorrect and they really did replace it as they claim my paperwork states. I have had the car back for one week and it has not died yet. I know some owners have had multiple TCM replacements, so my fingers are crossed.
There are more than one class action lawsuits if you google the words ford focus lawsuit transmission.

Consumer Class Action Lawsuit Against Ford | Ford PowerShift Transmission

·
Registered
4 Posts
TCM relation to RPMS problem?

2014 automatic sedan. i just recently had the new RECALL clutch installed and it definitely improved the shifting. It doesn't stutter or jerk anymore. But now it seems that the RPMs are acting up. I just wanted to ask if this is the problem of the TCM or not. My RPMs shoot up to 4000 on a simple take off. Im not even stomping on the gas pedal, it'll just be a simple stop and go and the RPMs will go to 3000 up to 4000+ on 1st gear going into 2nd gear and ill only be doing 10 to 15 miles an hour just cruising in a parking lot. And it stays in that 2800 to 4000 range during 2nd gear going into 3rd. Its just high!! Plus my miles to EMPTY have dropped drastically from 480 to 260. Every time i top-off at the gas station it'll go to 260. never goes past that. Before i had the recall clutch put it… every time ill fill up at the gas station it be 480-ish till Empty… now only to 260 and it burns through that real quick. Faster than a mile of what it says. it'll be 260…then 259 then 258 and ill haven't even driven off a couple of blocks from the gas station!!!! What the hell!! And no, my tank isn't leaking. I just think the computer isn't reading what the car is doing. is anybody else going through this? any help or advise, tips. Plus also my car has only 15700 miles on it.

·
FF Affiliate
30,346 Posts
Who here has the worst acting DCT , one that is the biggest issues of anyone , studder , slipping , grinding etc , WORST ONE !

Please send me a PM

Tom

·
Registered
466 Posts
Who here has the worst acting DCT , one that is the biggest issues of anyone , studder , slipping , grinding etc , WORST ONE !

Please send me a PM

Tom
if you're gonna advertise everywhere, at least write a proper sentence?[popcorn]

·
FF Affiliate
30,346 Posts
Im not advertising , I looking to see if all the DCT issues not related to oil leaking can be fixed in the software like I have seen with previous changes I have made

So what better way to prove its software then take the worst acting one ?

Your welcome to not read what I write if it bothers you !

Tom

61 - 80 of 196 Posts