Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now while I do go over TCM replacement and a little of how it all works this is by no means a customer type repair. What I do go over though is the symptoms of a failing Transmission Control Module. If the grounding issue checks out (see video explaining that below first, it applies to Focus too) and you are still having these symptoms you are due for a TCM replacement. While a very expensive repair it is covered under emissions defect warranty which is longer instead of powertrain so don't dismiss the dealer just yet. Hope this helps these are the most common symptoms which may be intermittent at first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now while I do go over TCM replacement and a little of how it all works this is by no means a customer type repair. What I do go over though is the symptoms of a failing Transmission Control Module. If the grounding issue checks out (see video explaining that below first, it applies to Focus too) and you are still having these symptoms you are due for a TCM replacement. While a very expensive repair it is covered under emissions defect warranty which is longer instead of powertrain so don't dismiss the dealer just yet. Hope this helps these are the most common symptoms which may be intermittent at first.

what are the symptoms?

·
Registered
55 Posts
what are the symptoms?
Having the vehicle shift itself out of gear and intro neutral [while still indicating that the car is in gear] seems to be one set of symptoms.

There are others, accompanied by flashing indicators, engine trouble codes, and failure to start with the transmission indicator showing 'P'.

Sometimes the problem seems to clear itself, and the car can be restarted and driven.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Getrag Powershift 6DCT450 electical wiring TCM

Hello everyone!
makuloco2000, can help with diagrams Ford Focus 3, 2.0L? Very interested in the electronic control module TCM transmission gearbox Powershift 6DCT450, which stands on the Focus 3 with 2.0L engine 2011 onwards/
Thanks)

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Makuloco's videos only apply to 6DCT250 for the North American market.

Other types may have similarities, but they aren't sold here so we have little info. on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone!
makuloco2000, can help with diagrams Ford Focus 3, 2.0L? Very interested in the electronic control module TCM transmission gearbox Powershift 6DCT450, which stands on the Focus 3 with 2.0L engine 2011 onwards/
Thanks)
Mine had been doing the slip into neutral thing intermittently, along with some jerkiness in shifting. Then it got to where it would slip into neutral and I'd have to sit on the side of the road for 10 min before it would go back into gear. I took it to the dealership hoping it was part of Ford's extended warranty on the clutch seal, but they told me the clutch is fine, it's the TCM. They want $1300 for the repair. Ouch!!!!

Interesting note: before I started having TCM-esque symptoms, I previously have experienced several times where I get in the car and turn the key and it won't turn over. Nothing--not a dead battery (I had it checked)--an electronic type of 'no response'. The dealership couldn't figure it out.

Last time I drove the car, the first time it "slipped out of gear", I pulled off the road and stopped the car, removed the key. I waited a minute, then put the key back in. It wouldn't turn over. I mentioned this to the dealer rep and he supposed that maybe that ignition fault is related to the TCM fault(s). I don't know whether he's on the right track or just making it up to get me to do the repair. Anyone else seen this symptom?

Also, is this a part I might get aftermarket or a repair I might get done elsewhere besides the dealership?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine had been doing the slip into neutral thing intermittently, along with some jerkiness in shifting. Then it got to where it would slip into neutral and I'd have to sit on the side of the road for 10 min before it would go back into gear. I took it to the dealership hoping it was part of Ford's extended warranty on the clutch seal, but they told me the clutch is fine, it's the TCM. They want $1300 for the repair. Ouch!!!!

Interesting note: before I started having TCM-esque symptoms, I previously have experienced several times where I get in the car and turn the key and it won't turn over. Nothing--not a dead battery (I had it checked)--an electronic type of 'no response'. The dealership couldn't figure it out.

Last time I drove the car, the first time it "slipped out of gear", I pulled off the road and stopped the car, removed the key. I waited a minute, then put the key back in. It wouldn't turn over. I mentioned this to the dealer rep and he supposed that maybe that ignition fault is related to the TCM fault(s). I don't know whether he's on the right track or just making it up to get me to do the repair. Anyone else seen this symptom?

Also, is this a part I might get aftermarket or a repair I might get done elsewhere besides the dealership?
TCM is covered under emissions warranty up to 80000 miles, so if you are under that you should have a covered repair.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Anyone know if the TCM is available aftermarket?
I doubt it - and even if it were I wouldn't trust it.

Honestly, I think the car not starting and neutral slip issues were indicative of the failing TCM and if those problems were happening before 80k (or 60k) miles and you have documentation, you bet I'd be fighting to get it fixed under warranty at 81k.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Meagan, the Ford rep on the site may be able to hook you up with the right contacts for some help with that.

Save those receipts as they say, prev. problems sound related as PratN mentioned (starting & shifting). Close to warranty mileage & prev. related issues can often result in some assistance, no guarantees but no reason not to ask either.

Prices have come down a little, IIRC the first mention I saw on that was $1,800 for the part alone.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

I know. I'm at 81k, go figure.
Hi williarn,

I'll be happy to look into some options. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan, the Ford rep on the site may be able to hook you up with the right contacts for some help with that...
Thanks sailor!

Meagan

·
Registered
36 Posts
makuloco2000: My 2012 focus titanium with 37k miles as the more I drive the worst it gets with the miss shift, rattle, it bogs down, seams to slip etc. could it be that the TCM gets too hot the more I drive?? I do my oil change and don't see any oil coming down from the flywheel/tranny area.

Last time the dealer replaced the clutch pack was at 25k which was the 4th time,
on the 3rd time the tranny had a catastrophic failure at 21k miles
this is what they replaced.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yvDvBuN2QSE/VH5ISwK5-BI/AAAAAAAAFhY/mB9lBaTUAPw/w1084-h610-no/20141202_181001.jpg

Took it to the dealer a few times but they always say " it's the characteristics of this vehicle"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I own a 2012 Ford Focus in Australia and have been told that the TCM is faulty by my dealer after taking it in with an engine light flashing and strange transmission issues.

They are replacing it but will not tell me which revision of the TCM they are replacing it with, this worries me as I have less that a year left on my warranty and if they give me a late revision TCM (such as the one that is already in there) in two years times I could be having the same problem and will have to pay for the replacement.

Does anyone know what action I could take? Fordservice are you able to put me in contact with an Australian version of yourself?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
They are replacing it but will not tell me which revision of the TCM they are replacing it with, this worries me as I have less that a year left on my warranty and if they give me a late revision TCM (such as the one that is already in there) in two years times I could be having the same problem and will have to pay for the replacement.
I don't think that's something you have to worry about. While you're certainly not the only one with a TCM issue, most of us haven't had TCM failures. My 2012 has over 105k miles and the TCM is fine.

Also, make sure they check your wiring harness in the front of the engine per TSB 14-0215 - just in case. [thumb]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
...Fordservice are you able to put me in contact with an Australian version of yourself?
Hi arvust,

There isn't an Aussie me on the forum, however you can reach them through Twitter and Facebook. You can also contact the Ford Australia Customer Relationship Center at +61(0) 386 133673 (13FORD)

Meagan

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2012 Focus DCT with 74790 miles has some occasions of a rough driving in a limp along mode using only gears 2, 4, 6 (and R) and the check engine (MIL) light on. It sets code P0902 indicating a clutch actuator. This mode first happened in the first few minutes of underway from a cold start on a 26F morning while traveling to a colder climate than where I live. The issue would go away after a restart in ten or so miles and the MIL light would go off after a few more starts. There seems to be a strong connection to cold temperatures. The distant and local Ford dealers both told me I needed a transmission controller module (TCM). From what I understand this is under emissions warranty until 80,000 miles, but my local Ford dealer repeatedly sends me away finding nothing wrong. The car has already had the ground lug TSB, new shaft seals and later software. Suggestions?

This is a much longer story than here and my detailed log file is lengthy, I would like to hear from Meagan as to what to do since there is a fatigue level with this car. Ironically, several whole day visits to Ford dealer service with contact on my car do not appear in its CarFax report and there was no paperwork.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts