Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 2001 Ford Focus engine non-interference? Read serveral things online. Look for a sure confirmation.

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
For your car, yes it is non-interference. All the ZTW (wagons) had the zetec engine.

There have been rare cases where damage has occurred from a timing belt breaking though, and I'm not sure/can't remember if those engines where bone stock or not.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I state no claim either way, just pointing out that many wagons with SPI's exist.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes I believe the Zetec engines are non-interference. That is unless you have a shaved head or hotter cams.

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
I've never seen a SPI wagon. I'll take your word for it though. Must be a rare breed though.
Wiki says it'd have to be a 2002 or newer.

... looked through about 50 on autotrader and haven't found a SPI yet ... rare indeed, lol

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
The only car that is an interference, in the 2000-2004 Focus Group before Duratecs, is the SVT Focus.

All Duratecs are interference engines.

-Ray-

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Posted via FF MobileAs PP, no need to PLAN on valve issues... If belt broke or skipped timing... Replace, test run, THEN do a compression ck for peace of mind if you want to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for the info. My car is fixed and back on the road. Even has a little more spunk with the new timing belt. Even my gas mileage has gone up.

ann

1 - 16 of 16 Posts