Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my Ford Focus (52 plate zetec engine) in for it’s MOT the other day and it has failed on all 3 carbon emission tests.

Results Min Max Result
Fast Idle test Fail
CO Level - 0.30 0.75
HC Level - 200 343ppm
Lambda 0.95 1.09 1.04

Second Fast Idle Test Fail
CO Level - 0.30 0.80
HC Level - 200 229ppm
Lambda 0.95 1.09 1.06

Natural Idle Test Fail
CO Level - .50 0.72

I’ve tried adding some K-Seal, also an additive to stop the smoke, and also injection cleaner.
The oil level is always dropping, but there are no visible leaks and also it doesn’t seem to be burning off as the smoke has no obvious color to it.
The garage also done a compression test on the cylinders, and cylinder 3 is down by 100 PSI.
Can anyone shed any light to what the problem is, and how I can get it through an MOT the cheapest way possible?

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Sawdust.........

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you have a cyl that is down by 100psi compared to the others, there's a problem.
Your oil is probably being consumed by going past your worn cyl and rings, causing your smoking problem.
Or you may have a stuck valve.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
An option for you is to drain your oil and run a thick(seriously thick) oil in it , just to pass emissions...............but otherwise, see the post above this one.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
"""Sawdust......... """

Not in engine but supposed to work wonders in the transmission

Thick oil [goo] in engine. In the USA there was something called STP [thick goo] that worked wonders

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the idea Missourileo, if she doesn't pass today, then I think I might give that a go!

·
Registered
47 Posts
How did you fix it?

Hey redman84, Did you ever pass your emission test on your Focus. I have the same issue right now -- just FAILED emissions test .

My Zetec exhaust is not smoking but I don't know about the oil consumption, as the car is new to me with 94000 miles.

I saw this post and was surprised to find this post with the discussion on oil and compression tests. I will do a compression test next.

I was guessing 02 sensor, injectors, or Catalytic converter?

can you share - what did you ultimately find out and fix, was the fail due to the compression issue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts