Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried taking the ford focus automatic transmission and upgrading the parts in it to make more power and if anyone has please let me know if you have im trying to make a crazy build with an automatic and need some help on how to do it.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
One of the first things you learn about hi perf work is to NEVER use ATX when you can use MTX instead. ATX tends to limit how crazy your crazy can be in several ways.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
There used to be; Lentech made an ATX race trans but no longer.

If you have the DCT powershift 'automatic that's not an automatic' trans then you are goofy if you mod the car, those mess up so quick you will only make it happen faster. Ford has pure hell just getting them to stay working right, you should read up on it, enough material already in print to choke a horse. Massive lawsuits underway too, the trans is junk.

Go there and pick anything 2012 or later, DCT, dual clutch, or the word transmission in the title. You got enough complaints there to last you a year.

That trans and Ford's resultant knee-jerk reaction to not fully fix it, instead applying half fixes to it is one of the major reasons Ford is dropping cars in its' lineup, they have lost market share over the trans issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If you have the DCT powershift 'automatic that's not an automatic' trans then you are goofy if you mod the car, those mess up so quick you will only make it happen faster. Ford has pure hell just getting them to stay working right, you should read up on it, enough material already in print to choke a horse. Massive lawsuits underway too, the trans is junk.

Go there and pick anything 2012 or later, DCT, dual clutch, or the word transmission in the title. You got enough complaints there to last you a year.

That trans and Ford's resultant knee-jerk reaction to not fully fix it, instead applying half fixes to it is one of the major reasons Ford is dropping cars in its' lineup, they have lost market share over the trans issue.
Damn I was really hoping I could make this a one of a kind car but guess not and yeah i know what you mean about the dct's. Ive had a 2016 focus se before and they were absolute shit boxes sorry. I went through 2 dct's on that car just driving normally

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Do you think theres any other trans that would fit a 2017 focus or is that all i can really do is a dct im trying to stay auto

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Thinking the true ATX was last used in '11 on that engine, cannot say whether they still work as late as '17 and the computer would need software for it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im guessi
Thinking the true ATX was last used in '11 on that engine, cannot say whether they still work as late as '17 and the computer would need software for it.
Im guessing it would probably need a whole new re map for the car since its different.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
So its possible just needs some(a ton of) work
Unless you know someone that can code module firmware, it's unlikely to happen. We're not talking about going to a tuning shop. Someone is going to have to write new firmware for the PCM, BCM, IPC, ABS and SRS to ensure everything works together properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts