Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
They said the code said clutch. :-/
Look back at the original ppwk posted here, it mentioned a stuck clutch code and recommended clutches plus the internal actuator (listed as slave cylinder) for that stuck one.

Haven't seen anything since then, but when repaired it should have included that internal actuator mechanism or a report calling it checked/good.

Replacing the external actuator motors doesn't seem likely to make a difference, since they appear to be operating now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The dealer called. They offer a $40 discount on the parts and will charge me the employee price on labor. $372.57 on parts and $360 for labor. I really don't think this is fair. :-/

·
Registered
94 Posts
The dealer called. They offer a $40 discount on the parts and will charge me the employee price on labor. $372.57 on parts and $360 for labor. I really don't think this is fair. :-/
Hell no that's not fair! I'd be raising hell if I were you. This has me pissed off and I'm not even the one dealing with it! They told you the clutch was bad and that a new clutch would fix it. If it didn't then that's on them because they misdiagnosed it and charged you for a fix that didn't work. DO NOT PAY THAT. Fight them over it.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Original repair didn't include one part they recommended at the first estimate - NO explanation on that yet.

These external parts have a good chance of not solving anything.

It's also a problem for US that you don't seem to have listed current symptoms beyond 'same as before', so more detail on that would help. Hard to make decent comments when unsure of current issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sorry about the lack of details. I will upload the latest work order from a dealer when I get a chance. I will also write out a summary of what transpired because I probably put on yelp anyways.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That's a confusing estimate. Adds up right until reaching the second page, where they typed in replacing shift MOTOR for the estimate instead of the shift LEVER recommended above.

Original estimate before ANY work suggested the one shift lever, though they called it a slave cylinder at the time.

It seems like whoever is writing the final estimate isn't talking to the one doing the diagnosis portion.

Internal lever worked BY the motor to actuate the clutch (simple part description BTW) is quite different than the external actuator motor that operates it. Lever assy. jamming up/hanging up at times sounds MUCH more like your symptoms, and matches what's written on the first page.

Since they already had it apart once, and the first ppwk. mentions the actuator portion not just the clutches, should get a deal to do it again & pay for the recommended shift LEVERS.

At the very least, this needs more explanation before moving forwards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I sent this to the Service Manager of the dealership

Greetings Mr. Borquez,
I just wanted to take some time to provide feedback regarding the repairs on my Ford Focus 2012 Titanium. I am sure if you look at my car’s history, you will see that Sunrise Ford has been the only place to receive service with the exception of one oil change (Theodore Robins Ford). I want to address specifically Invoice 361825 starting 3/7/2017. My Focus had been running into periods of times where it would shift roughly and shudder if moving from a stop. Erratic shifting I understand can occur with this car model but it was happening way to often. The car was diagnosed with having a bad clutch. I approved the repair and received the car on 3/11/2017.
On 3/17/2017 I was coming back from lunch with a colleague. When I pulled out of the shopping center, the car hesitated to shift. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic so I was able to nurse the car on the street. I took some videos of my car and the dash during this ride. The car would either hesitate to shift or shift roughly on first. To get to the second shift, the car would need to be at least 50 mph, not recommended on normal streets of course. My colleague was very disturbed to the point he asked me to pull over so he can order an Uber back to work. Fortunately the traffic was light on the way back to work. After experiencing this, I was extremely disappointed. To put $1526.69 into repairing this car only for the problem to reoccur a week later was tough. I rely heavily on this car to transport me to both jobs and occasionally drive for Uber. I was actually planning to drive for Uber that night but obviously it was not a good idea. I did not look forward to being without my car again and was worried about what was causing this issue. I could only imagine what Sunrise Ford would say since the check engine light did not come on. I took the focus in on 3/18/2017 and the service advisor said they would run tests to see if anything comes up. There is a "break in" period of 1,000 miles. I cannot recall the day I picked it up but I was advised that nothing could be found. You should be able to pull this information in your system. I believe it could have been between 3/20-3/24.
On the way back from putting gas on 3/29/2017, the Focus once again reverted to the same erratic shifting problem. Once again, I found myself nursing the car to avoid being hit. I was able to take a few residential streets to get back to work. On my way home after picking up dinner, the check engine light came on. Despite turning the car off and on, the issue persisted. I returned to Sunrise Ford on 3/31/2017 to once again drop off my car. The service advisor was not sure how long it would be. I assured him that I already started planning to be without my car, that I just wanted to have it fixed finally.
To my shock, I was contacted on 3/3/2017 and was told my car was ready for pick up. The issue was resolved by performing clutch tcm adaptive learning. Unfortunately, when leaving the dealership, I noticed the check engine light was still on. Once again, the Focus continued to shift rough and erratic again. I returned to the dealership within a couple minutes and surprised the service advisor. I was advised that I would be called the next day with an update. I waited until until 3/7/2017 to come down to the dealer. It is almost always easier to come down to the dealership than call in for a status update. After speaking to the service advisor, I learn that both shift levers A and B will require replacing. I was asked to wait until 3/10/2017 for an update. The service advisor wanted to see if there was any chance I could get a discount due to the numerous times I have been in. On 3/11/2017 the service advisor informed me that the service manager has approved a discount of $40 on the parts and a $55 discount per each hour of labor. The total is almost $1100.
After reviewing everything that has happened in the past month or so, I truly believe that the first repair should be refunded and applied to the current recommendation. While I appreciate the offer to discount my repair, I feel that in good faith Sunrise Ford should stand behind their work. Despite the repairs and the replacement clutch, the original issue (hard shifting and hesitation) continues to occur. After the last visit, the car now seems to stall and will not move during normal driving. This will occur frequently when the car is moving from a complete stop. I am sure you would agree that if a vehicle goes in for a repair, the issue should be resolved in a timely matter.
I also believe in applying a refund to the current recommendation due to the amount of attempts and time with fixing my Focus. The car has returned to Sunrise service a total of three times after the clutch replacement. The first time was on 3/18/2017 right after the trip with my colleague. The second time was on 3/29 when the actual check engine light came on. The last time was on 4/3/2017 upon picking up the car. I felt really disappointed when I drove off and noticed the check engine light was still on after the car was “repaired”. It could give someone the impression that the car was not even looked at. Being in the technology industry, specifically in service for over 14 years, I know repairs and diagnostics can be tricky. It can be frustrating to put time and effort into a repair only to see it come back with the same issue. I can easily align with Sunrise Ford on the service end but as a consumer, I have to take a step back and reflect on the past month. My Focus has not been fixed for the original issue brought in on 3/7/2017. The issue continues to happen despite receiving a new part and programming. I appreciate the time and effort put into the repairs but as the consumer, I am not directly responsible for the outcome. I am not also responsible for the troubleshooting process whether successful or not. As a consumer, all I see right now is an unfixed vehicle that I rely on for my livelihood. An unfixed vehicle that cannot seem to stay on the road despite the time and efforts of Sunrise Ford. As I look at the calendar month of March, I do not think I can count having the car back for more than 10 days at best.
I visit Sunrise Ford very frequently for both my Focus and my Escape for the maintenance and any repairs needed. I value your dealership's services, kind employees, and the lounge with free lunch. These are the main reasons why I continue to remain a customer. I trust you will keep this mind as you consider my request. Thank you for your time.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
However they want to figure it, one lever was diagnosed before the first fix and again after it, despite not being replaced with the clutch work. Second lever suggested as precautionary.

They had it apart once, shouldn't pay to have it apart the second time when THEY said it was needed originally.

Parts only at the most for added costs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I just saw this and I'm having the same code with same problem .
Dealer is recommending the same replace clutch and actuators just want to know if they ever fix your problem.
Thanks

41 - 52 of 52 Posts