Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I am having a few problems with my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium, problems I am sure you may have run into. The first one, which is a minor annoyance is a delay with starting the car. I have keyless entry and when pressing the button, it occasionally power cycles but turns on with the second attempt. I recently noticed that the battery appears to be leaking from the positive terminal.

The main issue is the famous transmission on this car. About 3 weeks ago, the car had trouble shifting and gave a check engine light. The code is P07A5 Transmission Friction Element B Stuck On . After a few times of turning the car off and on, the issue disappeared. I was able to nurse it home by driving it easy (55 mile journey) and now the check engine light is gone. I mainly use this car to commute back and forth for work and even use it for Uber. I have had the clutch and TCM replaced 2 years ago and have almost 170,000 miles on the car. To date, the car behaves 98% of the time but seems to be plague with erratic shifting after the car has been in idle for a few minutes in traffic. I have noticed the erratic shifting issue has been showing up for the past 7 months but is now more noticeable. Lastly, if the car its going between 65 to 80 miles an hour, occasionally there is a loud thumping sound from the right hand side. Does anyone have any insight? Thank you.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII Problems section, because as a rule this doesn't fit as an owner DIY repair question.

Battery replacement is obviously needed as a first step you CAN do, but even that is helped by a reprogramming for the new battery that takes Dealer help or aftermarket tools.

Need to do that first & see what problems remain, afraid it won't solve all of your trans issues.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Could always try a tune (PM me for what I'm tuned with).
I would replace your front struts and springs with those from a 2014 or up model.
The struts were revised in 2014 to help reduce that noise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The battery may be the culprit to the problems you're having. I could be wrong but my Fusion I had before my Focus was involved in an accident. The positive battery post was damaged and was spraying battery juice. Well it threw a check engine light and my transmission was acting very strange. Went away when the battery was replaced. Hoping that a battery replacement solves your issue!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery may be the culprit to the problems you're having. I could be wrong but my Fusion I had before my Focus was involved in an accident. The positive battery post was damaged and was spraying battery juice. Well it threw a check engine light and my transmission was acting very strange. Went away when the battery was replaced. Hoping that a battery replacement solves your issue!
Battery tested good at the dealership. They did not seem concerned that it was leaking. They will not replace the battery until it test bad. Isn't leaking fluid a bad thing though?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could always try a tune (PM me for what I'm tuned with).
I would replace your front struts and springs with those from a 2014 or up model.
The struts were revised in 2014 to help reduce that noise.
Is it hard to apply a tune to the car?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Battery tested good at the dealership. They did not seem concerned that it was leaking. They will not replace the battery until it test bad. Isn't leaking fluid a bad thing though?
That's a really bad thing and I'd take it to a different dealer. The battery acid and mess your wiring up. I would've demanded to speak to a manager if they said that it doesn't need to be replaced. Batteries should NEVER leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car was acting normal until yesterday. The issue returned again. I can turn the car off and on and the issue goes away. Just strange[dunno].

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now this is happening with the check engine light. Occasionally it drives like a person learning to drive stick. Once the car is turned off and on, the issue goes away. The error messages comes on every two minutes and the check engine light remains...

Attachments

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Classic symptom of a TCM on it's way out, along with some of your other symptoms.

If you never got the free update offered last spring for additional trouble codes, it's even more likely as you wouldn't be getting the warnings they added - you're getting a typical 'warning' result we saw before those added codes were available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had to bring my 2012 Focus to the dealer a couple of times for transmission re-programming, maybe that has something to do if you have not done so (twice for the tranny, and one for the door locks so far). After this services the car has changed behaviour for the better.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^ Sorry, useful for the purpose but no good for this situation.

Once you get the intermittent operation from the TCM it doesn't get better by programming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like you're due for a new TCM

I experienced similar problems with my 2012 SE. It started out like yours, and progressively got worse. I hadn't experienced any issues at all when they mailed out the service advisory, so I didn't bother taking it in for the optional software upgrade. It came to a head last month, with ~56,000 miles on the odometer.
While driving home from Ubering, my car started to hesitate in between gears. The clutch would remain open for about 1 second between each shift, and the shifts were rough. I stopped to check under the hood for any offensive odors and to get a bite to eat. When I got back in the car, it wouldn't shift into reverse.[scream] There I was, 30 miles from home, and without reverse. Thankfully she's a little bugger, so I was able to push her out of the stall and limp her home. [woot] She drove that way for the few days before my service appointment at the dealer. The day before my appointment, the issues magically vanished. Smooth shifting, reverse working properly, just like I'd driven her off the lot. [rant] Thankfully the problem returned the next morning as I delivered her to the dealer. [pray]
After thinking the software upgrade had fixed the issue, it reared its ugly head once again. [wrenchin] They decided to replace the TCM, and I've had no issues since (knock on wood). My dealer had it fixed in a matter of 4 days (which included a Saturday and Sunday with a closed service department). I got to drive a 2017 Escape during that time, which was a nice change of pace. [driving]
Best of luck in getting your tranny problems worked out. [:)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
That does not look like the battery fluid is leaking. That looks more like a spray on anti-corrosion over spray, possibly put on by the dealership.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The dealer just called. The clutch is the culprit. Going to set me back $1600.
While your clutch may or may not be bad, the only time I've heard of the parking aid malfunction error (outside of damaged or dirty parking sensors) is due to a bad TCM. I'd try to convince your dealer on this one.

Reactions: sailor
1 - 20 of 52 Posts