Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need more opinions and more thoughts. I've been chasing a vibration coming to the Ford focus for the 2000 to 2008 generations and I've done pretty much everything you'd think that you should do and then some. I've changed cracked ignition coils, all the motor mounts, I've changed the harmonic balancer idler pulley tensioner pulley and serpentine belt, car had the wrong battery when I bought it from the guy who owned it before me so I put the Right one in. I changed the PCV valve and I maintenance it regularly. Anybody got any ideas? I can't seem to get this vibration to stop. Feels like a go-kart.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Did you use an aftermarket passenger mount? Those allegedly fail early and often. I'd start by verifying it's good.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Pass side engine mount is the common cause if the car vibrates dash and it gets better as engine gets hot from cold.

I've seen new aftermarket mounts shake your face off right out of the box. A Ford mount is about the only cure and they know it, having passed that faulty engine suspension method for some 20 years now. Look, they have modded the mount 15 different ways now but the design of the engine suspension system is the true issue and not touched at all.

It's left that way to sell more parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pass side engine mount is the common cause if the car vibrates dash and it gets better as engine gets hot from cold.

I've seen new aftermarket mounts shake your face off right out of the box. A Ford mount is about the only cure and they know it, having passed that faulty engine suspension method for some 20 years now. Look, they have modded the mount 15 different ways now but the design of the engine suspension system is the true issue and not touched at all.

It's left that way to sell more parts.
My mechanic replaced passenger side and lower motor mounts. Vibrations reduced a lot. A few hi Fred miles later my gas pedal has a slight vibration. Also at fast idle engine cold there is a vibration now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My mechanic replaced passenger side and lower motor mounts. Vibrations reduced a lot. A few hi Fred miles later my gas pedal has a slight vibration. Also at fast idle engine cold there is a vibration now.
Also what AMC49 said. I am disabled but it looks like I'll need to take the bull by the horns and save up enough money to by Autocraft mounts and put them in myself. 👀🙏🙏🙏🇺🇸

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
The main one is the pass side, the others often can use aftermarket with not too much shaking. The pass one is real bitchy about construction and must be exact and why the Chinese ones fail so badly. Often the tops come out to go through the belt on the early type.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The main one is the pass side, the others often can use aftermarket with not too much shaking. The pass one is real bitchy about construction and must be exact and why the Chinese ones fail so badly. Often the tops come out to go through the belt on the early type.
My passenger side mount is oil filled I believe and the new one is made with something like a bubble or diaphragm. I can push in on it. There is no resistance when I press down on it AMC49.👀🌅🌅🌅🇺🇸

·
Registered
40 Posts
The new passenger mount which I just mentioned in my above post had some lube on the top rubber part. I do not know if the mechanic used some lube to help preserve the rubber or if some oil leaked out of the top of the rubber mount. 👀🌅🌅🌅🙏🇺🇸

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
It may be leaking silicone fluid used for damping, I saw a lot of the aftermarket ones do it right out of the boxes. The 'bubble' is the airspace allowed to work the fluid in the damping chamber. Not supposed to leak at all, mark of a bad one.

The fluid is often silicone mixed with water, supposed to be semi-oily, but the Chinese have gone to almost straight water to save cost and the inside can be rusted with part in a new box, I've cut the top out of a brand new one before because it rattled so bad and rusted solid inside. The damping fluid appeared to be straight water.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The new passenger mount which I just mentioned in my above post had some lube on the top rubber part. I do not know if the mechanic used some lube to help preserve the rubber or if some oil leaked out of the top of the rubber mount. 👀🌅🌅🌅🙏🇺🇸
Yikes. My original pass mount failed around 100K miles. I started noticing black specks around/under it, and then the engine started rocking. Ask the mechanic, but I don't see why he'd lube the rubber.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Lubing rubber rots it to go into super soft bubble gum much faster, what kills PCV hoses, the petroleum distillate exposure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts