Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I have a 2002 Ford Focus Wagon manual transmission , I've recently changed the Ignition Lock Cylinder. I've took it out from another Ford Focus the same year. The car doesn't won't to start when I turn the key. I've even try to push the car but it doesn't work. I know that the keys are programmed for each car, but is there anyway I can make the new keys and the new Cylinder work?

Thank you for your help

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Welcome to FF!

The main question is whether you have TWO existing coded keys for the original lock (they're coded into the PCM).

IF you do, you can try to program the new keys to the car, if not it's a job for Ford or a very good locksmith (not all have the computer equip. or are capable of using it).

IF you have two coded keys, you'd need a plain uncoded key for the new lock for the programming sequence. Plain key used to turn the lock while the old key is held next to it to be recognized as you go through the key adding process. Can't use the "new" keys for that as they'd interfere with reading the old one.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Need at least one original key with the chip in it. The PCM wants that code from it. Doesn't care about lock cylinder used as long as can be turned on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts