Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
My recently bought 2001 ford focus sedan 2.0L zetec DOHC 195 000 kilos is finally repaired and ready to drive. Going to the garage is so expensive so wanting to learn more on car problems and on how to diagnose them, i bought (almost been given) this car 8 months ago cause it had a lot of little problems making it a real pain to drive. (jammed caliper, engine dying at a red light, big vibrations from the engine when at idle, really bad front wheels bushings, headlights not working etc.) So i repaired all these problems on my own for really cheap and its running like a dream! (Total cost until now including the price of the car: 800$. So im trying to keep the repair costs to a minimum)

But now i noticed that every time i start the car and the engine bay is at ambient temperature there is a clicking/knocking noise coming from the front of the engine accessories. When you walk on the side of the car the noise gets more powerfull when you get near the front bumper. So its probably coming from the a/c compressor, the power steering pump or the water pump. Maybe it could come from the timing belt area too? But i changed it myself and inspected every parts 4 months ago since it was badly cracked thinking that the noise was coming from there. It is similar to an engine knocking sound but not coming from there.No matter how cold it gets outside (here in quebec down to -30 sometimes) the sound is always the same and only stops when the engine bay gets warm enough. Even if the engine temperature is at its ideal point the noise wont stop until the engine bay is hot enough. And it can take up to 10-15 mins if its -30 outside. Also the noise seems to follow the engine rpm when driving it cold and doesnt change if i turn on the rear window defrost or put the blower fan to the max. And when the noise disapear the engine seems to run in perfect condition with no weird sound.

So i was wondering if any of you guys had a similar problem and what was causing it. I am suspecting one of the accessories bearings/bushings that are going but if they were grinding i would think they would heat faster due to the friction and not take up to 15 mins to disapear? Also i have changed the serpentine belt and the idler pulley since they were pretty worn thinking it would fixe the noise.

Thanks for your time/experience and sorry for the mistakes english is my second language!!

·
Registered
17,529 Posts
The passenger side engine mount can easily do that when the internal metering plate starts getting battered loose.

You could pull belt with stone cold motor and spin pulleys checking for errors in spin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention that to fix the vibrations the car was making in idle i have changed every mounts (they were bad). Vibrations still being a little bit there i changed the 4 sparks plugs for the stock ones (they were bosh sparks plug only 2 months old and the electrode had worn down flat with the plug creating a ridiculously huge gap and rough idle/ bad performance. I defenetly dont recommand putting them on the 2.0L zetec engines. They did the same thing on my friends focus too in less than a month.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts