Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Recently the clutch on my Ford Focus started slipping etc. Went to the garage and the guy told me that it would be a load of money that I don't have right now. On the way home there was a noise but I kept driving because I was in 5'th. When I slowed down and wanted to get into a lower gear it was impossible. Carried on in 5'th until it was safe to stop and switched off the car and tried the gears. It went into second and I thought it would be OK. It moved about m and then got stuck completely.

I towed to to my house and decided to do the clutch myself after seeing a video on Youtube. I replaced the clutch plate and disk but not the slave cylinder because it wasn't in the kit like I though it would be. I used a clutch alignment tool that I ordered from Amazon and torqued the screws like showed in video.

I completed the job on Sunday and struggled to get the transmission back on but managed after a while. Today I finished the job - I put in the transmission oil and bled the clucth like it was shown in internet.

I then replaced the gear selectors and everything and then decided to test it to see if everything is OK. I wasn't. I struggled to start it after a while it was OK. I then tried switching gears and it goes in fine but when I try to release the clutch the car start to die. I even tried it in neutral but as soon as I let go of the clutch it starts to die. I tried it for about 2 min and switched off the car. When I got to the bonnet there was smoke coming from the clutch area and it stank of burned clutch.

Can you please advise since I'm well and truly stuck here and desperate. Did I install the clucth wrong? Do I need to change the slave cylinder as well? Might it be that the gearbox is screwed?

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also - the gear selector cable's bushing was broken. I replaced it with a piece of rubber as is shown on youtube.

Regards

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Disc has to go in a certain way, not sure if that one can accidentally be put in backwards but if then it is wrong.

People have utter fits bleeding them completely, that can do it too as the clutch then only partially releases to do exactly what you describe.

And shifter issues mentioned means that if trans is possibly going into two gears at once due to the lockouts not working then of course the trans could be getting wrecked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I slowed down and wanted to get into a lower gear it was impossible.
Yeah, you replaced the wrong part. If there is hydraulic fluid in the footwell, then you should replace the master clutch cylinder. If not, then replace the slave cylinder. Sorry, but you're going to have to pull your transmission out again to replace it. The slave cylinder is a sleeve type, and gets put on around the input shaft to the transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts