Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! How are You All of You? Me fine but very worried, because I have a Ford Focus 2000 SE with 191 000 Kilometers, it is about 118 681 miles on it, I really like that car, but now I am doing only about 14 miles per gallon with it and I am very discouraged, because the budget is very tight, what can cause that problem and what should I or We can do to try to fix the problem, if it is not perfect, if I can go to 20 miles per gallon again, I would be very happy, if it is not possible can I go higher in mileage than where I am at now? I filled the tank on Wednesday at noon and now it is Saturday Night and I did about 90 miles with it since then and now the gauge is telling that the tank is a quarter full, only one quarter of gas left, I filled the tank on Wednesday and it costs me at Madawaska Maine 41$, but it has already some gas in it, between the quarter and empty. I am not a Mechanic, oooh!! no I am very far being a Mechanics, I know a bit of motor engines, but not like You All Guys and Gals. Is there anybody that can help me or Us, because my Father wants to know also, He want to go see His Favorite Mechanics, so We need help before going there and to save some money. Please help.
I might add that in the past few months, a big difference in mileage, it is very scary. Last year I was doing 21 mpg or about now I am at around 14 or so I think.
Take good care and Blessings to You All. Ciao!!
[???:)][mecry]

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
14MPG is horrible!. I get 27-32 out of mine.

Wwhat engine and trans do you have?

I would check the fuel pressure regulator if that is not working properly they EAT gas. Rare to break on our cars though.

Second, Do you leave the defroster on all the time? That runs the AC compressor and also uses 3-4 MPG...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Viney266, You are a very good Guy who answered me, it is very appreciative. I am using an automatic transmission, the basic motor that cane with it, the 2.0, no turbo or high performance motor, yes when the AC is on, it is terrible, the fuel gauge is getting down in naked eye, We can even see the gauge getting down rather fast. Even going only 35 miles per hour or a bit more higher like 45 miles per hour the fuel gauge is getting down fast. The traffic on the Trans Canada highway here is fast, so I have to go fast because I will be trampled on, so I have to go at 75 miles per hour and it is atrocious too. I even went at the Chalet around 20 minutes from my house here and the last time I went I did not put the AC on, because the AC is grubbing a lot of gas, more than normal, I know the AC can use a lot of gas especially in a 2.0 4 liters motor. We are very discourage really. It is a so nice car. Thank You and Take care and Blessings.

·
Registered
454 Posts
sea foam, tune up, oil change, air filter, fuel injection cleaned might as well change the transmission oil

DJ2BIG.COM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You DJ2BIG for Your help, it is very appreciative, I and We will go for a complete tune up and check up, Thanks and take care and Blessings and have a nice day to You All and Your Families.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just for your info, I had a 1995 3.0 Taurus I bought that was getting 13 MPG (US Gallons, probably about 16 or 17 MPG Canadian Gallons), did a tune up and went to 18 MPG. Tune up will work wonders, especially if it hasn't had one yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi! Wow Thank You strykr14, there is something very wrong about the car that is for sure, Taurus 95, it was a very nice car and a very solid one too, We will do a Tune Up then. Thank You for All Who answered me and helped me , it is appreciated and to those who read my message but could not help. Take care and Bless All of You.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts