Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
so i know this has been a while but my car has the exact same prablem. the ruff start same codes i have checked all the air injection componits nothing is rong im down to o2 sensor or i dont know i was hoping you figured out what yours was doing anything would be greatfully appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry, saw this on tuesday. But my mechanic had such a f-ing problem with finding what the matter was he had to take it to Ford.

He went thru the whole list of what could be wrong. Ford found that the diverter was sucking in water and that's what was wrong. Guess it's located on the left side of your car (looking at hood) behind the fender. Hope this helped. It was literally the last item on the probable causes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So by fixing the diverted valve it fixed the stumble when you first start it and bolth codes went away ? I disconected the hose that feeds the exhaust and it seemed to do nothing it still stumbled at a cold start up and runs fine any other time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To anyone with this problem,

Here is a youtube video by South Main Auto Repair troubleshooting the problem:

As you can see, he discovered that a lot of water had built up inside the hose that pumps air into the diverter valve. No doubt that that water caused the diverter valve to sieze up. I don't know how to prevent the water build up from happening again, but as far as fixing it goes you will have to get the water out and then replace the diverter valve. Prior to discovering this, he reviewed the electric diagram of the air injection system and also troubleshot the solenoid.

Now, I had the same code on my friends 2006 focus. I did some troubleshooting and discovered that in my case it was just the 30amp fuse in the fuse box that went out. I replaced the fuse and the check engine light turned off right away. I'm not sure if the fuse failed because something else in the system isn't working right, or if it was just a faulty fuse. Time will tell. If the fuse fails again soon then I will do a more thorough inspection. But the bottom line is that it could be several reasons causing the code so you'll just have to troubleshoot it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The CEL turned back on. Fuse is still good. I tested the diverter valve and it seems to be stuck open. I tried to test the solenoid but can't really figure out how to test it without a mityvac. I feel kind of dumb throwing parts at it but I've wasted enough time on this. I'm going to just replace the diverter valve and solenoid and see what happens.

Another great video showing how to test the diverter valve and solenoid (which you need a mityvac for):

21 - 25 of 25 Posts