Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Ford has already revealed a cache of concepts and production models at the Frankfurt auto show, and now here to round out the group is the turbocharged Fiesta ST. Ford is calling the zippier Fiesta a concept, but what you see here essentially previews a production model. There was an ST version of the last-gen Fiesta in Europe, and Ford’s upcoming Focus ST could use a little company in the showroom.

¡Ay, Caramba! It’s a Party under the Hood!

The transformation from run-of-the-mill Fiesta to feisty ST follows the pattern laid down by the Fiesta’s big brother, the Focus ST. Out goes the naturally aspirated four-cylinder and in goes a turbocharged engine. In this case, the EcoBoost four displaces 1.6 liters and is good for 178 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque. The engine has at least some racing cred—or will soon, thanks to the Formula Ford alongside this Fiesta on the company’s Frankfurt stand. The ST’s power flows through a six-speed manual transmission to the front wheels. Ford claims the ST can motor from 0-to-62 mph in less than seven seconds, with a top speed around 137 mph. That acceleration figure is probably a bit conservative. Our long-term NissanJuke is powered by a turbocharged 1.6-liter making similar power to the Fiesta ST’s motor, and outweighs the last five-door Fiestawe tested by almost 400 pounds. In our testing, the Juke made it to 60 mph in seven seconds flat, so figure on the Fiesta ST needing a few tenths less.

Ford didn’t specify what changes it made to the Fiesta’s suspension for ST duty, but we imagine the car’s suspenders underwent an overhaul similar to those on the Focus ST. That car rides 0.4-inch lower on stiffer springs, a basic setup we expect the Fiesta ST will mimic. The normal Fiesta makes do with disc brakes up front and drums in the rear; Ford fitted discs to all four corners on the ST.

We’ve Seen That Face Before

The Fiesta ST doesn’t just follow in the footsteps of the Focus ST when it comes to performance; the two cars share basic styling as well. The Fiesta ST concept’s front fascia—complete with Aston Martin-lookalike grille, LED-laced headlights, and lower intakes stuffed with round fog lights—apes the Focus ST’s. So do the Fiesta’s 17-inch wheels. The smaller car’s interior is ST’d with heavily bolstered Recaro front seats and sportier décor.

The Fiesta ST may be just a concept for now, but don’t be surprised to see it go on sale sometime next year in Europe. One rather large obstacle to it coming to the U.S is its three-door body style, a configuration not currently on sale here in the States. Well, and the fact that the Fiesta plays in an affordable segment with no precedent for something like the ST. Of course, we’d be happy to see the stylish three-door on our shores, all the more so if it was in ST guise. Ford better get a move on.

Text Source: Car & Driver

·
Registered
467 Posts
wow look at Ford a damn good looking "hot hatch", If they bring the 3 door over here I will take one in that color!(Don't waste our time with another 5 door hatch)

·
Registered
691 Posts
That looks like a 3-door version of the Focus ST.. WHICH IS GREAT!

Could this finally be legitimate competition for the GTI?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Ford,

Bring that to America so I can give you my money to put one in my garage.

Sincerely,
Ben

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
looks cool. Again, I don't like the grill, but that's replaceable with a new bumper cover.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yes yes YES.
3 doors, manual, most likely a simplified interior without the 1000s of buttons and gizmos the Focus ST has? And its lighter weight, while still having a hatchback form?

I wonder how it'll compare to the GTI. Cant wait to see more specs.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
GTI is still faster, and will probably remain more refined overall. But this will be considerably cheaper and loaded with more gadgets no doubt. A better comparison would probably be the Polo GTI... but that's not available in the US because lameass Volkswagen of America is determined to Toyotasize the company locally.

I'm still not a fan of this catfish ST look that Ford has going. But the specs sound good and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a sign that 3-door Fiestas are coming to America. I think it'll nicely compete with the Cooper S and 500 Abarth in the future.

I also wish Ford would give us something similar to what Ken Block and Tanner Foust get to drive around. A widebody stanced Fiesta (same exact style), AWD powertrain, and maybe at least 200-ish horsepower. Obviously a production model Fiesta that makes 650 horsepower is out of the question. But c'mon, stop pretending like the production model Fiesta is anything close to all the hype they put into the WRC/X Games sponsorships!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
yeaaaahhhhhh if they brought the 3 door here id be a lot more excited! these pics look good, specs sound good, good. good. good.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
This is more Mini Cooper S than GTI to me, but I like it a lot.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
i forsee people swapping these bumbers onto their 5 door hatch.
good looking car. ust like the focus st though, i'm curious what pricing will be

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
I think this front end fits the Fiesta much better than the Focus. Here's hoping they don't change it! Looks to me like they've got a hit on their hands.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If North Americans do not end up buying many Focus ST, chances are very slim if North America will see the Fiesta ST. ( and if it does go to North America it will be a 5 door)

Sitting in Europe reading the reactions from North America on the Focus ST reveal it appears there is a bunch of negative nellies. And if the remarks are any indication on what the sales of the Focus ST will be in North America, I would not fault Ford for not seeing a business case for the Fiesta ST in North America.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
I wonder what kind of fuel milage that 1.6L will pull down when it's not being goosed into action...

Looks like a great little car. No GTI, for sure, but those are more luxury minded, anyway. I'd lean this car right where you guys are saying... Mini S/Fiat500 Abarth territory...

If they can keep it under $22k, I'd totally rock one.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If North Americans do not end up buying many Focus ST, chances are very slim if North America will see the Fiesta ST. ( and if it does go to North America it will be a 5 door)

Sitting in Europe reading the reactions from North America on the Focus ST reveal it appears there is a bunch of negative nellies. And if the remarks are any indication on what the sales of the Focus ST will be in North America, I would not fault Ford for not seeing a business case for the Fiesta ST in North America.
People complain of no awd, no true lsd, the look, or the 5 doors.

But with it, they complain about the high cost, poor gas milage, or the look of other cars.

I feel like you can't make people happy on the internet, they'll just have to see it in person.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
People complain of no awd, no true lsd, the look, or the 5 doors.

But with it, they complain about the high cost, poor gas milage, or the look of other cars.

I feel like you can't make people happy on the internet, they'll just have to see it in person.
You're right about not being able to make everybody happy, but I still feel that there's still room for improvement.

The argument of poor gas mileage is irrelevant at this point. Ford has the entire spectrum covered with the cheap Fiesta, moderately priced Focus, sporty EcoBoost Mustang, and high-end Taurus SHO. A reasonable price with the popularly requested features isn't impossible, and I'll demonstrate how...

1. No 3-door model. This would cost them less money to manufacture. Contrary to "marketing studies" the demand for sporty 3-door hatchbacks or coupes is still going strong here in America. Is the Mustang still selling? Is VW still importing the GTI? Is MINI still importing the Cooper S? Oh wow, they still are?! Interesting...

2. No "bare bones" model offered for sport trims. Not everybody needs or wants Sync or MFT. Once again this could help drive costs down while delivering the car people are asking for. The same goes for not offering a manual Titanium Focus and a dual-clutch ST. Potential customers are lost in the process.

3. Ford markets the hell out of the Focus and Fiesta during WRC/X Games events. You see fancy videos of Ken Block and Tanner Foust showboating their 650 hp Fiestas. Problem is... we don't get anything close to that with the production model. If you're not going to offer it to us then stop shoving it in our faces!

We don't want a poser car. We want something that actually delivers a similar experience. Subaru and Mitsubishi get it. The ST comes close and it's a step in the right direction... but it's still not the same thing for the above reasons I listed.

They get so close to getting the formula right, but it seems like they drop the ball when it comes to optioning out their cars. It's no secret that Ford intentionally sets their packages to get you to spend more money on stuff you might not always want before you're even able to touch a feature you do want. It's how they make money obviously.

What disturbs me is that most people seem to think that asking for AWD, LSD, IRS, etc. is breaking some type of holy rule with Ford. It's really not that complicated or impossible. Other manufacturers have done it while keeping costs down. Evos and STI's don't cost $400k like their WRC counterparts.

When in doubt offer more options! I'm not expecting customers to have 100% control over color/material combinations. But when these cars are built to be modular from the factory, some of the things listed above (involving deleting convenience features or swapping transmissions) is really a no brainer. Those things aren't impossible.

Ford has definitely taken some huge leaps forward. But at the same time I don't think they're being bold enough. I don't want to see some new "Sport Appearance Package" 2012 Fiesta with black mirror caps, smoked headlights, and two-tone leather interior at my dealership. I want to see a package that gives me a damn EcoBoost engine, rear disc brakes, and independent rear suspension! They understand how it works for the Mustang... so why is it so hard to get that same treatment for the Fiesta and Focus?

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
i would get it when it came out!!!

o and also well put^^^^

1 - 20 of 47 Posts