Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We're required by law to carry car insurance. Plus the liability coverage protects assets.
If extended warranty coverage makes you happy, buy it. But odds are you will not come out ahead.
You're not required to have full comprehensive coverage, at least in Michigan. That's why I buy extended warranty and full coverage, peace of mind.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Reviving an old thread here!

I have 2145 miles to decide.

I’ve had leather replaced under warranty
Headlights for peeling
And today tie rods replaced

I can get the 8/125k with the key replace for $1788 with the $100 deductible.

I do plan on keeping this focus through that period.

Should I pull the trigger and buy the ESP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Reviving an old thread here!

I have 2145 miles to decide.

I’ve had leather replaced under warranty
Headlights for peeling
And today tie rods replaced

I can get the 8/125k with the key replace for $1788 with the $100 deductible.

I do plan on keeping this focus through that period.

Should I pull the trigger and buy the ESP?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I would, most will say no. The trans/clutches are covered till 5yr/60k. That is actually a fairly good price for Florida and not being able to buy online.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Each person must decide on this, for me I plan on having he Focus long into the future and if something big happens, it'll be covered. This is why I will always take my Focus to Ford so there is a record of all things done. Makes it harder for it to be denied.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There is a New Thread where the individual had his Seatbelt stop working after 72,000 miles and Ford wanted $700 estimated to fix it. This would be covered on the extended warranty. Just a word of thought...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's a gamble, but I generally vote no on extended warranties, especially since you have a 5spd. I've had zero repairs (100K+ miles) on mine.

I rolled the dice got the extended glad I did. Last oil change oil leaking. Repair covered in full and warranty has now completely paid for itself. Anything after this under that is money savings in the bank.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I rolled the dice got the extended glad I did. Last oil change oil leaking. Repair covered in full and warranty has now completely paid for itself. Anything after this under that is money savings in the bank.
The oil leak repair was over $1788? WTH was it? Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The oil leak repair was over $1788? WTH was it? Glad it worked out for you.

Apparently it was leaking oil from the timing cover.

New seals
New sealer
New washers bolts and gaskets
New timing chain
New timing chain cover
New valve cover gaskets
New front cover seals
Somehow that screwed up my battery cable or some power system (the oil leaking?) so whole all new battery cables
Second oil change (covered because noticed mid first one)
9 days of rental (put me in a f150 $70/day here)

Yup paid for itself in full.

Thing is I didn’t even notice an oil leak, oil in the engine compartment or any loss of oil? So it must have been small or something ongoing that no one noticed prior.

Car has 378XX miles now runs like a top love the manual focus sedan. And glad to know I have coverage until it’ll be time to trade in 4.5 years. Though may keep it at that time and just buy something else outright.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well the regular standard five-year 60,000 mile warranty would have covered that repair.
Your engine and transmission is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Everything else is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well the regular standard five-year 60,000 mile warranty would have covered that repair.
Your engine and transmission is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Everything else is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Funny you mention that I just got a refund check for that today from the dealer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm surprised at all of the problems you've had at 37K miles. The MK3's (minus the DCT) are usually reliable AF.

Outside of that repair only the following:

- 2 sets of headlights (both sets peeled)
- 1 tie rod (don’t ask me but it was rattling)
- drivers leather seat cover replaced (cracked in less than a year)
- 2 tires replaced (under warranty) slow leaks we couldn’t pinpoint

- the works package every 5k or 6mo
- detail and wax jobs every 6 mo
- 1 air filter
- 1 cabin air filter
- 2 alignments (1 with tie rod and the other after other half drove it for a week)
- gas tank recall
- two sync updates (did myself)
- fuel injector service (try to do this every 30k/3yr)
- radiator flush and new fluids (try to do this every 30k/3yr)

- wiper blades soon, they’re starting to streak after 3.75 yrs

AFAIC this car has done great. I love it. Things happen still glad I got the extended by 8/125k it’ll be time.

·
Registered
915 Posts
A tie rod, peeling headlights, oil leaks and cracked leather are completely unacceptable to me at 37K miles. I know shyte happens, but that's ridiculous. I've had none of that on a '13 with 120K+ miles. The leather looks close to new.

I've only had the PSM and an O2 sensor, but those aren't surprising at >100K.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
A tie rod, peeling headlights, oil leaks and cracked leather are completely unacceptable to me at 37K miles. I know shyte happens, but that's ridiculous. I've had none of that on a '13 with 120K+ miles. The leather looks close to new.

I've only had the PSM and an O2 sensor, but those aren't surprising at >100K.

I would be more than delighted to go over my 2014 DCT mk3 or 2013 Chevy spark or the 2011 cavalier compared to any of those this 2016 has been sublime

Things do happen that’s for sure but this has been by far the best 3 almost 4 years of ownership I’ve had in a very long time mechanically.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I see your point...those weren't exactly stellar in the reliability department.

[cheers]

Preaching there. By far the worst was that spark. I was in a rental more than I was in my own car. 2 ac systems, tons of trim pieces and motors that leaked oil into the spark plugs causing stall outs and near death that it took me threatening the BBB to get to an engineer telling me to pull the 4th plug and it was over an inch deep of oil. They replaced that motor and I road tripped to ny and it started doing it again brand new motor leaking oil into the plugs. ALL THIS BEFORE 20K MILES!

Took a bath to get the 14 mk3 oddly enough I still get car fax updates on the 14 don’t ask me how all I know is I got out when the getting was good on that one.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Extended warranties? Lol what a bunch of bs. It’s just another way for dealers to suck more money out of their buyers. Oh & to get you into debt by signing on that contract for 48-60 months worth of monthly payments.

Look, we all know that a 3/36 is standard & 5/60 powertrain. Buy a newer (pre-owned) vehicle that falls under those warranties & you’ll rarely have any issues. On the flip side, buy a 10yo car with 200k miles & expect the worst.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you are thinking of an extended warranty, go to Flood Ford's website and get a quote and take it to the dealer when you shop for your car. We got an 8 year 100 K plan with $100 deductible on the Wife's 2018 Focus sedan for $1100, which was less than the quote from Flood...

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

21 - 40 of 44 Posts