Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm the first owner of my car happened to pay for an extended waranty for this car I own now. I had taken my car into the dealer and they told me they would call me with a quote on the price things needed to be done. WEll they call back and tell me my car is all set and I had to pay only a deductable of 50 bucks for the work.

Not bad I said to myself as I had my clutch master cylinder and some TSB's done... THey then call back and say because I'm not the first owner this car that the waranty does not apply for me and told me I have to get intouch with the old owner to transfer this waranty to me otherwise I will have to pay more.

I have a feeling that ford is trying to suck money out of me

My questions are:

Because they didn't notify me of the price of their service before they had done the work on my car can I do say something about this?

What kind of waranty could Ford be talking about???
Isn't a waranty on a car just carry through on the car and not the owner???
Any info on these kinds of waranty's online?

Is there anything I can do????????? [???:)]

·
Registered
601 Posts
Since it's extended warranty, I'm pretty sure that it is only good while the car is in their ownership (although it seems you can transfer it?). Extended warrenty can however be added to any vehicle at any time (I bought third party 3yr/60k km warranty on last vehicle). I would guess you will have to pay for this repair, and then I would suggest buying extended warranty, or getting 3rd party warranty. Just keep in mind that even with the extended warranty you will end up paying far less for your vehicle than if you bought new.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Only the factory warranty follows the car so if your out of the 3/36 or are not eligible for the powertrain warranty then you would have to pay. They actually did the right thing by letting you know there is an extended waranty on the vehicle. I would go back to the selling dealer and find out if it was a trade in there. If it was then they could help ya get in contact with the previous owner to try and transfer it to you.

When they first ran the vehicle ID number in OASIS it showed the ext service plan. Someone just didn't catch it wasn't in your name is all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically what you guys are saying is that I have to get in contact with the selling dealer to get in contact with the previous owner. If things go well and I can carry it through then i'm set from paying a lot of money. If that's not the case I have to eat this and try and get an extended warranty for my car.... Man this sucks... Any idea how much a basic extended warranty costs??

·
Registered
601 Posts
It starts off fairly cheap I think, ~$400 I think. Full 5/60 coverage is probably in the $2k range, but if you think about it what you paid for the car + $2k is still way cheaper than a new car, but you have all the peace of mind of having a new car.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
When I purchased my car, I received a 4yr/100K mile warrenty. I covered everything from the engine to the speakers. I think it was in the $1400 range.

---Randy

·
Registered
276 Posts
It doesn't cost the dealer anything to help ya out on this. You would just have to pay the 50 buck transfer fee. Just see if your salesman or the Finance guy will help ya out.

You can actually go on line at http://www.genuineflmservice.com/default.asp?page=esp_home
and check out how much it would run there. It will not be discounted since it's buying directly from Ford. But once you get a price you can check your local dealer and see how much they would charge you for it. I tried checking and getting a price but they don't allow CA resident's to do that. If you can't get them to help ya get it transfered pm me and I'll get one of my friends to get me the price on one. I've been in the business 24 years and the last place I worked was a Ford dealership so I could help out there. Now if ya want a Honda or Mazda service plan I'm the guy to see [thumb]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks so much guys for all this input I will definitely look into this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts