Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my latest video on the Ecoboost Engines and carbon buildup. I quickly sum up what I was trying to say in my popular video- New Warning to All Ecoboost Owners. I go over what we are seeing at the dealers and what you can do to prevent any excess buildup of carbon as well as the latest information from Ford. This one video should answer most if not all of your questions pertaining to this issue.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**Note- I mention a catch can WILL void your warranty if added, I want to be more clear on this and state that a Catch Can MAY void your warranty. It is all up to your servicing Dealer and the Ford Field Reps on a case by case basis.[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for posting, as always your videos are incredibly helpful.

Though most of us here (ST folks aside) don't have to worry about the turbo aspect of things, the basic principles still apply to DI engines in general.

Watch the video, but if you don't have 12 minutes, the underlying message involves carbon deposits on the intake valves in DI engines with a focus on the EcoBoost engines (something discussed ad nauseam here). Key points:

-Having your intake valves cleaned on an ecoboost engine (ST only) is bad and can lead to multiple system failures.
-Ford currently has NO approved methods of cleaning intake valves, including cleaners, scrub brushes, or walnut shells.
-To prevent Carbon deposits, use top tier fuels (Shell, Chevron...) and high quality, low volatility synthetic oils. (wavsine?)
-Being a little aggressive with the engine can help prevent carbon buildup.
-Oil catch cans work but as stated above may void the warranty.
-Ford will likely be providing a solution in the future (software and cleaning process) to prevent Carbon buildup.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
would a catch can like this work on the NA engine?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Thanks for posting, as always your videos are incredibly helpful.

Though most of us here (ST folks aside) don't have to worry about the turbo aspect of things, the basic principles still apply to DI engines in general.

Watch the video, but if you don't have 12 minutes, the underlying message involves carbon deposits on the intake valves in DI engines with a focus on the EcoBoost engines (something discussed ad nauseam here). Key points:

-Having your intake valves cleaned on an ecoboost engine (ST only) is bad and can lead to multiple system failures.
-Ford currently has NO approved methods of cleaning intake valves, including cleaners, scrub brushes, or walnut shells.
-To prevent Carbon deposits, use top tier fuels (Shell, Chevron...) and high quality, low volatility synthetic oils. (wavsine?)
-Being a little aggressive with the engine can help prevent carbon buildup.
-Oil catch cans work but as stated above may void the warranty.
-Ford will likely be providing a solution in the future (software and cleaning process) to prevent Carbon buildup.

Just show me ONE head with fouled intake valves on the MK3 Ti-VCT (already 4 years old)...

So far Ford & Mazda said they found out the problem and corrected it by small intake valve overlapping to keep them hot like cakes to burn the deposit.

I haven't seen any mk3 gdi heads with this problem yet and this has been speculation on the forum for long enough.

Another source (http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html")

Stephen Russ, technical leader for combustion for Ford’s 2-liter Duratec DI engine, said that similar to GM, engineers have determined the proper injection-timing calibration to help eliminate the carbon deposits. But Russ also said the technology of injection components – particularly the high-pressure solenoid injectors – has quickly matured, meaning excess valve deposits in most DI engines should become a thing of the past as these improved components are incorporated into production.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
... -Being a little aggressive with the engine can help prevent carbon buildup. ...
Cool. Another excuse to avoid granny driving.

[burnout] [nono] "But officer, I was just trying to keep my intake valves cleaned off ... " [hihi]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the ST section, where we've got the Ecoboost engines.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Good to have it restated, again.
Rather like 'Chicken Little' Gaining traction with: "the sky is falling'..
I guess it does not matter that no one with a 2.0 ecoboost has reported any issues.. All that matters to the crowd is it 'might' matter.
Gives them some more to chew on.
But still good to have it reiterated. and also hope no one is offended I an making certain the worry worts can stop worrying, Like i wrote. NO 2.0 ecoboost in any ST has had any such issues reported.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts