Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Link does not work.

Link goes to:

We're Sorry!

The Web page you are looking for could not be found.

Please check the address and try again, browse the directory below, or use the search box above to find what you need.
Ironic. [facepalm]

Try this instead:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-dual-clutch-automatic-problems-before-after-production/

Or this:

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money/cars/ford/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Yup.

I doubt any of the people who have had a bad DCT experience would not have preferred to have a more reliable transmission that lost one or two mpg compared to the DCT (in theory). Too bad they and the automakers were not allowed to make that choice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
CAFE strikes again.
Eh, I don't think so. I mean, sure, it probably came up, but they introduced the DPS6 worldwide. If you want to blame government stepping in to mandate innovation in an industry that was/is thoroughly uninterested in innovation, that's fine, but you'd have to blame governments everywhere.

More likely, Ford thought it would help revitalize their lackluster sub-compact and compact sales by offering a bit more performance coupled with a bit better fuel economy, all for the same price as the competition.

If the DPS6 hadn't ended up being a total dumpster fire, you could have easily pointed to the MK3 Focus as a great performance/economy value car. Heck, the 2.0L coupled with the MTX75 manual is a fantastic car for the money.

Given that they're putting EcoBoost engines in everything these days - but didn't bother with the 1.5L Focus in the US - I don't think CAFE had much to do with the decision to use the DPS6. They simply had too much sunk in R&D and worldwide production cost to scrap it. It was 90% about the money...as usual.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... Heck, the 2.0L coupled with the MTX75 manual is a fantastic car for the money. ...
Amen. I love driving mine, and anything else I had considered buying instead would have cost A LOT more. I'm hoping it outlasts me so I won't have to figure out what to replace it with.

... Given that they're putting EcoBoost engines in everything these days - but didn't bother with the 1.5L Focus in the US - I don't think CAFE had much to do with the decision to use the DPS6. ...
They did offer the 1.0 EB, and it made the car a lot more expensive. The 1.5 would have raised the price even more. Not doing that is not proof that CAFE standards were not significant in the decision to develop the DCT for the non-turbo 2.0 sold in the U.S.

... It was 90% about the money...as usual.
Of course it was "about the money".

People say that as if it is a bad thing, but what's the point of designing, manufacturing, selling, and servicing any product, if not to make money? If you were employed by a company that informed you, "Due to our focus on making the world a better place we have recently become unprofitable, so we will have to reduce the amount you are paid by 50%", would you continue working there? Or, is it "about the money" for you, as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Of course it was "about the money".

People say that as if it is a bad thing, but what's the point of designing, manufacturing, selling, and servicing any product, if not to make money? If you were employed by a company that informed you, "Due to our focus on making the world a better place we have recently become unprofitable, so we will have to reduce the amount you are paid by 50%", would you continue working there? Or, is it "about the money" for you, as well.
"Ford sank too much in R&D and worldwide production cost for the car to turn a profit in North America." Pretty much most places of the world where manual transmissions still account for most drivers, these Focuses/Fiestas were big hits. Either that or most people traded out their DCT-equipped vehicles for a newer version every three years given how leasing these small cars are.

North America is too SUV and truck-focused for any small cars to churn a profit. Ford is not necessarily the company people go to for small cars, unlike Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda/Subaru/BMW/Volkswagen to name a few. This is why when the 2015 (or is it 2016?) facelift happened the DCT was dropped almost worldwide except North America. Doesn't make sense to do any changes to NA market when you plan to stop selling cars there anyways.

·
Registered
335 Posts
They did offer the 1.0 EB, and it made the car a lot more expensive. The 1.5 would have raised the price even more. Not doing that is not proof that CAFE standards were not significant in the decision to develop the DCT for the non-turbo 2.0 sold in the U.S.
The user above addressed most of the "money" bit, but I'd like to point out that I'm not saying a company shouldn't make money, I was implying that Ford did the math and decided warranty replacements using stockpiled hardware and lawsuits would be cheaper than scrapping the DPS6 altogether. I would be surprised to find that given the DPS6 situation, they were especially concerned about future CAFE standards when they knew they weren't going to be in the car segment at that point, anyway.

Regarding engines, why would the 1.5 EcoBoost have raised the price? I can't imagine it's a more expensive engine given that its used in more markets than the Ti-VCT Duratec 20 (at least, that's my understanding). IIRC, these Mazda L engines are getting a bit long in the tooth and since Mazda developed the P engine / Skyactiv, Ford's the only one using the old L design. Aren't the 1.5L EcoBoosts a different family altogether?

I'm guessing it was another "let's get rid of inventory" decision, knowing they were pulling out of the car market in NA and moving away from Mazda L designs worldwide. The 1.0L was more expensive because it's not nearly as prevalent and so of course they're going to charge more per unit given that they're selling fewer units.

I could be wrong, though. It's all speculation at this point.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
This has been a LONG time coming , hundreds & hundreds of honest, hard-working Americans have gotten royally screwed by Ford , jacked around by the dealers and given the absurd and insulting "you're driving it wrong" memo. And it didn't help for some members of these forums to try and minimize the issue(s) and even start their own thread to "teach" people how to drive it right. I hope Ford gets the mother of all class action lawsuits and the many people who had to take several days off of work and/or losses on trade-in get compensated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts