Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked but didn't find a way to reset the trans to learn mode. Found a Youtube but it was from India and very hard to understand but finally did. I have a 2012 so I don't know if it works on all years. When I reset, jerkiness goes away for quite a long time. 5 months for me. Also, this assumes nothing mechanical is wrong with your trans. Here is the procedure:

1. Run car and set trans to neutral.
2. Turn off and wait 15 seconds.
3. Shift to Park.
4. Turn ignition on (Not running), wait 15 seconds
5. Turn to off, then ignition on (not running)
6. Shift to neutral (you may have to press the brake to do so)

If successful you should see "Transmission Ready" on your dash.

That's it. Works for me and is more convenient that doing a stop and go scrub. Good luck

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I reset, jerkiness goes away for quite a long time. 5 months for me.
That's it. Works for me and is more convenient that doing a stop and go scrub. Good luck
That's interesting, but:
  1. The process you documented is simply for putting the transmission back into "learn" mode. Unless your 5 months of driving is only 200 miles or something, I am extremely surprised this in any way fixed software issues long-term. Because it shouldn't. At all.
  2. Your procedure is software; the scrub is hardware. They accomplish very different things, and doing one does not really affect the other.
Thanks for documenting the manual reset procedure, but I'm going to need feedback from several other users with long-term data before I think that this was anything but a placebo for you.

The reset certainly does something: it (temporarily) goes back to being dumb, which ironically means better performance and less wear on the clutches while it tries to figure out the optimum shift points for a slushbox-like feel and improved fuel economy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Hope some others will try it since putting it into learn mode is usually difficult, requiring special software and procedures.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was under the impression that disconnecting the battery for a while and reconnecting does the same thing.

Also the SCT X4 has a function to do this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From what I understand disconnecting the battery for 8hrs does reset battery but doesnt it also reset everything else like any software updates it ever had such as tranny software updates? Wouldnt you then have to go to dealership to reflash. Ive also tried the above method of the ignition and buttons but thats doesnt seem to work. Used forscan and it seemed to reset but I now have 2 chassis dtc codes

·
Registered
66 Posts
I looked but didn't find a way to reset the trans to learn mode. Found a Youtube but it was from India and very hard to understand but finally did. I have a 2012 so I don't know if it works on all years. When I reset, jerkiness goes away for quite a long time. 5 months for me. Also, this assumes nothing mechanical is wrong with your trans. Here is the procedure:

1. Run car and set trans to neutral.
2. Turn off and wait 15 seconds.
3. Shift to Park.
4. Turn ignition on (Not running), wait 15 seconds
5. Turn to off, then ignition on (not running)
6. Shift to neutral (you may have to press the brake to do so)

If successful you should see "Transmission Ready" on your dash.

I tried this on my 2017 SEL and it worked, instead of "Transmission Ready" I saw a window that said Transmission and a progress bar going across the bottom until it finished and the message disappeared.

I can't say that Ive noticed any difference but I didn't have any big issues prior to resetting the transmission. I was going to "scrub" the clutches on my way to my Parents farm so I thought I would reset the Transmission at the same time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
From what I understand disconnecting the battery for 8hrs does reset battery but doesnt it also reset everything else like any software updates it ever had such as tranny software updates? Wouldnt you then have to go to dealership to reflash. Ive also tried the above method of the ignition and buttons but thats doesnt seem to work. Used forscan and it seemed to reset but I now have 2 chassis dtc codes
Disconnecting the battery won't remove software updates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to know, I was worried it would remove any software updates and would have to go to dealership. I instead used the forscan bms reset method but like i said have 2 dtc codes. Would just unhooking the battery for 8hrs be the way to go to reset bms and not get dtc error codes????

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good to know, I was worried it would remove any software updates and would have to go to dealership. I instead used the forscan bms reset method but like i said have 2 dtc codes. Would just unhooking the battery for 8hrs be the way to go to reset bms and not get dtc error codes????
It depends on what the codes relate to. If they are communication or component failure codes they will return whatever you do.

I would search online as to what the codes mean and then see if something needs to be checked or replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts