Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive only had my focus for a week and today i noticed that at idle it got a click ... my friend said its a ford click like its a common thing i was like really ?
cus i come from the import world i never heard of this is it come for the zetec to have a click click click at idle it goes away with any Small amount of throttle so idk ?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
As a guess it is the oil pressure is a tiny bit low. So your valves are 'tapping' the hydraulic lifters.. as soon as the engine is even a little over idle, enough oil pressure to firm up valve lifters.
Not a problem.
(have you changed your oil?)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I built 3 different mr2 motor so I know how lifters work I thought the same thing I didn't change the oil cus it was a a good level and doesn't have 3000 miles yet according to the stick I just put some lucas I had in my garage to see if it would help but it's still about the same ... It sounds like the vavle clearances is almost off alil .. But I'll do an oil change to make sure ... I hate 5w 20 I'm a go 5w 30 cus I makes me feel better lol

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
there isnt much to go on by you saying the engine has a click to it at idle. this could be flywheel chatter, a bad bearing somewhere in the serpentine system, bad/spun rod or main bearings, lifter noise, bad valve, low oil pressure, or any number of things. figuring out whether the click is coming from the bottom or top end would be a start and then taking a video that has very good audio would be nice as well. sorry but you arent giving much to go on. ive never heard of a "ford click" before personally. my car has always had lifter noise though but that same noise that i am referring to is present in nearly any and all 4 cylinder engines ive ever had the pleasure of working with including several vtecs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well is top end for sure sure its a valve click on piston 2 exhaust side ... seems to not be hurting anything but idk .. ill take a vids later .. the motors only got 89k on it so im not tearing into it ... changed the oil btw didnt change .. seems to have plenty of oil pressure took the valve cover off and unpluged the coil . st see how it looked a friend cranked it and everything was nice and oiled up just by cranking .. i know its not a flywheel or bearing or anything like that im know ALOT about motor specially 4 bangers as said ive built plenty and blow up plenty ... to know what hurt ones sound like .. im not great at spelling or grammar but i know what im talking about lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so checked the vavle clearance and the intakes side is fine but it does seem like the one on 2 has alot of space I can fit a .35 mm in there if not maybe more .. It doesn't go in easy but it's not to hard either ... I'm guessing it should be closer then that but I still don't know if that alone would cause the clicking ? ... I want to replace them anyways with a thicker bucket just one size or more up .. But ford want 20 buck per bucket ... Any ideas guys ?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Intake clearance: 0.1016mm - 0.1778mm
Exhaust clearance: 0.2794mm - 0.3302mm

So 0.35mm (if not more) is definitely on the big side. You'll want to pull that bucket, measure it and get one thicker ... or maybe you can play 'musical buckets' and get the clearances close to equal for free.

You should note that the Focus zetec valvetrain is mechanical, which means that it you decrease clearance you will increase actual cam lift and duration. Which means you might get slightly more performance from tighter clearances, but you also have to make sure not to overheat the valvetrain of you risk a valve sticking partially open.
Personally I like to clearance on the tight side of things.

Post a "bucket list" in the normal zetec section. Pretty sure there are more than a few people out there with some they'd sell/trade you on the cheap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds good to me .. is there and online site i can buy them off in case i wanna look around.. i wont be doing it yet cus i need money cus im a do the timing belt and wateer pumps and the buckets all at once's

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should note that the Focus zetec valvetrain is mechanical, which means that it you decrease clearance you will increase actual cam lift and duration. Which means you might get slightly more performance from tighter clearances,
i understand mechanical vavletrain just fine . cus that how the 4age from toyota is and that the motor ive built and played with the most . that and rotary's .. but i dont think .12mm or less is gonna give u much more hp lol but it does make sense cus u are adding alil more lift .. JUST alil !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone any help with the video and the sound it's making been driving it for a good week now sense I noticed it . Still drives perfect and moves fine just clicks ... Seems to get better once it's fully warmed up . I think it's cus clearancing gets alil tighter from heat expansion ... Anyone know anything ? Guys and other ideas ????

·
Registered
54 Posts
well, my car has that clicking noise at idle... usually goes away at warm-up, its kind of on the P/S of the car... and like others, id like it to go away... but im starting to think its not anything in particular but who knows?

someone with a duratech has had the same click... a friend with the SPI had a click that was noticable even while driving...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts