Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Ford Focus zx3 with about 45,000 miles on it. I have gone thru 2 brakes in those times, and im sick of throwing cash out to ford if they wont fix it. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what i need to replace my stock break system. i want to upgrade, but not spend a crap load of cash. I would like to know the best racing brakes that why i dont have to worry if i stop or brake to hard to moments. Thanks
And this site rocks!!!!

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
400 bucks will get you...

Front pair of Brembo Sport Slotted Rotors from www.tirerack.com
Front Mintex A/F Brake Pads from www.batinc.net
Front Aeroquip Stainless Steel Brake Hoses from www.batinc.net
Rear Mintex A/F Brake Shoes from www.batinc.net
Rear Aeroquip Stainless Steel Brake Hoses from www.batinc.net
1-32 oz bottle of DOT 4 Valvoline Syntec Fully Synthetic Brake Fluid

I just did this change it is hands down the most amazing change I've done to this car so far. Stop on a dime and get nine cents change.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went with PowerSlott rotors and greenstuff pads and I luvem'

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's just the back brakes that I want to convert drums suck balls

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
www.batinc.net has a rear drum to disc conversion kit, though I think it makes them really big compared to stock front, so unless you upgrade the front everything gets all out of whack...best bet is to find a wrecked SVT and steal its front and rear ends [:)]

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Upgrading to aftermarket brakes isn't really necessary unless you race.

$ 400 plus installation, your time or your mechanics and for what.

If your car is a daily driver just use OEM type parts, they are cheap compared to aftermarket and work great.

I use wagner pads and shoes on my ZX3. No dust and they stop the car much better than stock.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
Can you get Wagner pads at your local Auto store or do you need to order them ?

How much are they ?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Yes local auto parts stores will carry wagner pads and shoes.

Front pads are MX816 and rear shoes were PAB747

Just check to make sure, these part #'s are for fron disc rear drum foci for 2000-2002

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Wagner makes the OEM brake pads for the focus. Ford doesn't have a dedicated Brake pad facility for all its vehicles it outsources that. So in my opinion (noted not as experienced as Focals) if you've got brake dust from your OEM's and you put wagners on there, you've pretty much put the OEM pads back on there. As for Rotors, the OEM rotors are terrible, as in downright awful. They warp, are mechanically weak and are known to be so, replacing them with another set of OEM rotors is useless. You can get Brembo blank rotors as well as better blank rotors from different companies. These will be made out of stronger materials and much better than OEM replacements, though the price difference is really minimal between blanks and slotted, dimpled, or cross-drilled. Slotted adds performance as well as a nice sport appearance. As for install, it is very easy, I don't know why everyone else in the world makes such a big deal out of brake installation, it is really quite simple. Took me 2 1/2 hours to do everything on mine. I did have the assistance of a lift and a power bleeder but they aren't necessary. I now have no more warp, much more reliable braking and since I live in the country more or less, the back roads don't get my brakes feeling all squishy after 5 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
how doi know if i need to repalce the breaks from the drums ?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I never heard that wagner makes the ford OEM stuff, I do know this though.

I replaced my stock brakes with the wagner parts and they are totally different. Even looked different. The problem with the stock focus brake components is they are mismatched, this is why they wear so badly. I think ford has fixed the prob cuz our 03 ZTS has not had any issues.

For the money they can't be beaten.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
"Ford brakes suck" is kind of a blanket statement - not ALL Ford brakes suck. The brakes on the SVT Focus are awesome! First car I've ever had where the brakes give me complete confidence, and they seem to be wearing okay so far, although there is plenty of brake dust left behind on the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts