Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the story...

Last summer I installed a K&N Typhoon. No problems, felt a great increase in throttle response.

About a month ago I started getting CEL's that read 02 sensor bank 1, and bank 1 running rich. I also noticed very little power increase when pushing past 50% throttle.

Had in into Ford 5 times...they replaced 02 sensor, cleaned MAF, replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Everytime the CEL came back on within a couple days. Now it has been at Ford for 3 days and they just called and said it's my intake. They say it is throwing off the fuel trims and they don't know how it hadn't thrown a CEL up until a month ago. They said that with the intake the fuel trims were at -20 and when they installed the OE intake the trims went to -3.

Does this seem like a plausible thing or is this major BS???? I don't know much about fuel trims, but I do know that an intake shouldn't make your car run rich or lean if properly installed. Anyway, i pick up the car after work and will see if there is a major increase in power...and if the CEL comes back on. (i coulda sworn that it was the fuel pump problem some people are having)

·
Jetsetter
6,656 Posts
could be possible because the MAF is in the tube and not in its housing, maybe causing the problems, possible but there could be something else, and chances are its something they arnt looking at

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i had big issues with mine as well. the car would just shut off while driving, at idle it would almost die, i was pist. i brought it in and ford said it was causing the car to run rich and charged me 90 bucks to tell me the same thing that auto zone did

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Get K&N involved their pretty good about supporting their products and not allowing dealerships to BS you ,they had a tech rep call the local vw dealership when a buddy of mine had a problem with them trying to blame his intake for an O2 sensor that kept going.Turned out to be a computer problem.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had some dying/idling issues when I first installed my SRI, but after a couple WOT runs, the computer learned to deal with the extra air just fine. Does the KN have a little breather filter?? I've heard those cause some problems.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I don't think Ford is charging me anything, so if not, and if they fixed the problem I will be happy with Ford and pissed at K&N and the $170 I wasted. If the CEL comes back on though then Ford has no excuses anymore.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Dude they did the exact same thing with me last year, lol. The code that I threw led me to believe it was a fuel pump yet they insisted that the problem was my Typhoon. So we switched it back to stock and still had the code. They replaced O2's, MAF sensor, fuel injectors & rail, ECU.....finally they agreed with me that it was the fuel pump. Replaced and CEL went away.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
An underoiled filter can't cause a CEL. Overoiling it can by getting oil on the MAF sensor, easy fix. And yes K&N does sometimes put too much oil on from factory

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last Rites...I totally read your thread and thats why I think it is the fuel pump...when I took it to Ford 2 days ago I told them I think it is the fuel pump and handed them a Print-out of your thread....what did they do...ordered a new MAF and swapped my stock intake on...lol...talk about not listening to me!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Interesting, Ive never heard of this. When I first put my intake on I had the same issue. That problem has subcided, but I do get a cel some times for like 2 days then it goes away, or if I flash the ecu the cel will go away.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I've got about 35,000 miles on the Typhoon and it has never caused a problem with my engine. If there isn't a leak and the MAF isn't fouled then I don't see an intake being the culprit of the CEL. Both of those faults have a very specific code ( I forget which) that are something like " vacuum leak after MAF sensor" and I forgot the other, lol.

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you are refering to the famous p0133 o2s11 slow to respond, good luck, I have seen the svt set this code(3 times on mine)all the time stock or modifyed, I am running a k&n panel for now and I have set it, I have worked on one all stock and it would set it from time to time and another one with a tune and short ram and it set it, the other two cars had replaced the o2 no luck it still sets after time, I just clear mine and it stays off for anywhere from 3-6 months, if your fuel trim was at -20 it was removing fuel to compensate for a rich condition, if it is showing a positive it is adding more fuel for a lean condition, I have seen a similar case when a friend of mine put a svt maf housing with his stock ztec maf, because of the larger opening more air was going around the maf than through it so it would not read properly and he had low power don't remember the code he set but his fuel trims went all screwy, so you might check the size of the cai to your meter housing could cause a problem

·
Registered
461 Posts
ive ot to agree with focusman above, your MAF sensor is acting up because it's not in thr MAF housing. The MAF sensor is supposed to get a sample of 10% air ... but when you tamper with it that number may become 12% or 6% ... it doesn't know the difference. Sounds like a tune would help ...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, well for now the intake is off and the car runs like it should. So now I am completely stock. I do have a tune and an intake but I've had problems with both now so i don't know what to do. I might leave it stock for a while, I am gonna dyno it this weekend to get a baseline. Then in the next few weeks I may go and re-install the intake and tune and have a shop tweak it on the dyno to make sure it is the right setup for my car.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
thats probaly the right thing to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow! If your situation doesn't sound almost exactly like mine. Since taking ownership of my 03 SVTF, I'm had it into the dealer too many times to count for CEL lights and that stalling issue. After replacing O2's and mutiple other things and the problem continued to resurface after a while, the dealer then informed me that the problem was my K&N "Drop-in Panel Filter." BTW, I never oiled it but they said, "those filters leak oil onto the MAF." Funny, you inspected the car and passed it for sale. [rolleyes]

What?! I bought the car used with the stock replacement K&N filter. Well, the last time I took my car into the dealership for service to resolve this stalling issue going around a corner they kept the car for 8 days! Ford got involved and they went over the car with a fine-tooth comb. They wanted to replace the fuel pump and did some other small things but nothing major and still never found the problem, so they say but whatever they did, the car hasn't thrown a CEL or stalled since and its been two months. They put a stock paper filter in the car before the 8 day forensic analysis of my car and agreed that the vehicle had similiar issue reported by the previous owner. The computer was reflashed and even replaced. My wife started thinking the car was a complete lemon but it turns out that the car runs really well, doesn't stall anymore regardless of weather, and is a blast to drive. She wanted me to get rid of it but so far knock on wood I'm keeping it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts