Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been saying for a couple of months now that Ford needed to do a much better job of educating the public and buyers about the dual clutch transmission. This isn't a normal automatic and its not going to perform or feel like a normal automatic. They are finally doing something about it but its sort of like closing the barn door after the horse has already left.

http://wardsauto.com/home/ford_powershift_problems_110712/

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, no complaints from UK customers, LOL, Ford should read the road tests then. Seeing as we've had this technology since 2010 they've been slow in the uptake. However it isn't a fix, they're just 'educating' us poor souls. I wonder how they will explain away how the system gets confused as to what gear it should be in and then selects the incorrect one, which is a common complaint over here.
Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have no complaints with the shifting at all. My only complaint is the slow responsiveness when you step on the gas from a stand still. I think I could shave 2 seconds off my 0-60 time if the car actually took off at full power as soon as you hit the gas.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have no complaints with the shifting at all. My only complaint is the slow responsiveness when you step on the gas from a stand still. I think I could shave 2 seconds off my 0-60 time if the car actually took off at full power as soon as you hit the gas.
That's what the "S" position is for. When the tranny is in "D" it's supposed to get you better gas mileage whether you want it or not. If you are gonna floor it from a stop switch to "S" first, then there is no hesitation.

Just my observations...

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's what the "S" position is for. When the tranny is in "D" it's supposed to get you better gas mileage whether you want it or not. If you are gonna floor it from a stop switch to "S" first, then there is no hesitation.

Just my observations...
I've tried many times, but even in the "S" position there's still atleast 1 second of hesitation. Might be shorter than that, but it definitely feels like a long time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've tried many times, but even in the "S" position there's still atleast 1 second of hesitation. Might be shorter than that, but it definitely feels like a long time.
How many miles do you have on your car? I noticed this too and it was a lot worse when I first got the car and had less than about 500 miles on the car. I have about 950 on it now and it is noticeably better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car? I noticed this too and it was a lot worse when I first got the car and had less than about 500 miles on the car. I have about 950 on it now and it is noticeably better.
I hit mile 2000 just this morning. Though I haven't tested 0-60 time in about 500 miles. I have an app on my phone and the best 0-60 time I've gotten is 8.452 seconds. I think if the car would respond a little faster the time would be even better.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It needs a second or so to engage the clutch. Otherwise if it dumped it, people would be bitching even more about the clunkiness of the "automatic" transmission. Can't win them all, this is not a race car. I am happy with it because I understand the operation behind it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 2012 Focus will be my first car EVER after only driving my Mom and Grandma's Subaru Outbacks and a Smart Fortwo plus other D and C-class test drives

After flooring the car at the beginning of my test drive and trying out flooring-to-pass from 50kph, I was thrilled with the engine. Not to mention the value of all the gadgetry included in a sub-30k car (but that's for another thread [:)~]).

·
Registered
207 Posts
my 11 year old car with automatic has had jerky shifts from 1 to 2 and while in slow traffic since the beginning so what's wrong there? [:)~] on the other hand, when i drove the focus, i thought it was very smooth. still, you should take to your dealer just in case something is seriously wrong...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just test drove a sedan SE today with 203A package. I noticed that the transmission is very jerky at slow speed in the city (20-25mph). Even on a highway its shuddered a few times at 60-70mph. I wonder if S mode will help reduce all of this. Another thing is that car I test drove was almost out of gas. I wonder if this is the reason for all of the jerkiness that I experienced.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have found that since I switched to 93 octane the car not only takes off quicker it also runs out much smoother. Checkgio, I highly reccomend you try a couple tanks of 93. It won't remove all the hesitation from a standing start because that is just an aspect of the dual clutch. But it will reduce it considerably and the car will run out much better. I thought it was a bunch of BS until I tried it. I'm on my third tank of 93 and its like a whole different car. I'll never run 87 in it again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think there that there may be some real issues with these trannys. Anyone else notice grinding noises when driving about 10 mph or less? It doesn't always happen to me but I've got almost 3k on it now and it hasn't gone away either. It happens mostly when the car is cold or first driven.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
332 Posts
It also requires a normal/consistent drive pattern to learn your driving habits.

If you constantly change from race car driver to hypermiler it will stay confused :)

Enjoy the new technology. Once the ability to tune them comes out you will be able to get rid of all your problems anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
I thought the article was going to say the "grinding" that some people were reporting was normal. Glad that's what this wasn't about. I'm kind of surprised that people are complaining about this though. The Ford dual clutch transmission isn't nearly as.. abrupt.. as the VW/Audi one can be.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
^^ this. i cant wait til sct learns the new foci computers (if they have not yet) and tom, fswerks, etc. get to play around with the shifting of the powershift. i think they have a lot of potential in them they are just setup for economy from ford.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The grinding is normal. The tranny is a dry clutch system. What you are hearing is the clutches engaging and disengaging. You hear it at low speed because the clutches engage or disengage slower thus causing the so called "grinding" sound. At higher speeds it is less noticeable because the clutch engages or disengages more quickly. That combined with road noises makes it less noticeable. It's normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts