Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at possibly getting the short ram for my intake but I wanted to ask this question... What made the people who have short rams buy the shot ram over getting an intake like the popular choice like Volant. Was it cheaper or is there some advantage that made you purchase the short ram or any other reason you may have?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
no advantage accept for price. used to have the aem short ram. only reason why i got it was because it was the only intake on the market way back when

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I will be nice and answer something else than: "Use the search button"

FocusSport Cool-Flo Intake:
  • Heat shield: ( supposed to) reduce engine heat by 50%
  • ITG ( rally people) cone filter
  • Directly fits on OEM parts
  • Cheaper than the Volant
  • Gains noticeable in the High RPM range
Peace....

·
Registered
732 Posts
I bought my short ram from fastfoci5 for 2 reasons, the price [:-D] and I wanted something other then a Volant or a Ice-man intake. I didn't want a cold-air intake because its problems with sucking up water. I am very happy with it, it's a MAC and I love it very much [:)]

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah I was expecting someone to say Use the search button but this is a different question compared to the usual CAI vs. Short ram we all see here. I am asking WHY people got the short ram cuz i saw quite a few on here still have the short ram on their cars.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
price, price, and price again. have a MAC, and so does my brother. they're nice units that fit well and are smog legal in CA (CARB# and all). it's sluggish when it's hot, but lately it picks up real well with the colder weather and all. eventually i'll get a volant, but the MAC's good enough for now. when i do, i'll sell my MAC to the next lucky newbie modder so the cycle can continue!

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the INJEN intake with heat shield, i wanted somthing different than anyone else. its all aem out here. i guess just wanted to be different.

·
Registered
281 Posts
#1. It's from K&N.
#2. It has a heat shield
#3. I got it for dirt cheap and it included a SVT snorkel
#4. Chicago gets a lot of puddles during different times of the year not to mention foot high snow...not good for long ram intakes.
#5. Its black
#6. Trust K&N engineering over all other brands.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I got mine because of the sound. Yeah, it's sluggish in hot weather but it runs like a mutha when it's cool out. Plus I never have wanted a CAI because of what I've heard about it sucking up water when you go through puddles and such.
And the price[:D]

·
Registered
565 Posts
cold air intake = give u more high end power
short ram = give u more low end power

....i chose INJEN short ram b/c the focus doesnt have any high end power, simple as that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To be honest with you... I got the Short ram for the same reason ZX3_Chick did. I love that sound when you mash on the gas and your little 4-banger sounds like a mad monster power-house..

Oh Yeah... [paranoid]

And that whole sucking water into you engine and popping like a fat-mans heart at dennys... That's not really my Idea of a pleasent late-night cruise. My friend has a Del-Slow and he got a $300 Aem Long style intake, put the thing on his car without the bypass valve cause it was in a seperate box then the intake.. He drove the car for less then a day and hit a small patch of water..... [?|] HYDRO-LOCK!!!! ANYONE!! [?|] When he got home with the tow truck and his Del-SLow... The Ups guy had dropped off the bypass valve already, it got burried in the truck and he didn't see it right away...

The moral of the Story...

If you know there is a lot of areas where water sits then go for the Short Style. If you don't plan on driving in the rain, or your not worried about water injestion then go for the long. But remeber a BYPASS VALVE can save you a lot of $$$ if you run into this scenario...

[thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
i dont see why people say they get things for their car to be different, especially an intake. in all honesty, im sure everyone on here got it because they didnt feel like shelling out close to 300 to having a volant shipped to their door and the short ram gets the job done enough with a good sound unless your a serious car freak

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i got the Kurtz Kustomz short ram intake because i didnt want water getting in my car, n plus it was cheaper, and also the air takes a longer time to get to the engine for the cai than the short ram does

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
H&Rzx3 said:

....i chose INJEN short ram b/c the focus doesnt have any high end power, simple as that.
You say, "short ram = give u more low end power" then you say "i chose INJEN short ram b/c the focus doesnt have any high end power, simple as that.
If you think the short ram gives you low end power, then why did you say you bought a INJEN short ram because the Focus has no high end power ?
[confused]

If you lack high end power, wouldn't U get a CAI according to your statement that CAI gives U high end power ?

I always thought that short rams gave high end power and CAI gave you low end power because you get cool air from idle to high RPM's whereas a short ram doesn't get that cool air until the high RPM's...

·
Registered
793 Posts
HR ZX3 GOT THA SHORT RAM SO HE COULD USE THE POWER IN THA BOTTOM END NO USE IN LETTING IT GO UP TOP IF THERES NO POWER GAIN

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
I don't like the AEM because of the way it re-positions the mass-air element (can affect idle, and it is alot closer to the heat off of the EGR valve), and the fact that its diameter is so small. A friend of mine got one and it f**ked his idle up bad. I told him to just try the filter with the stock tube and it was okay. It actually picked up over the AEM. Remember though that every car is different in little ways.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
The long and short of it [hah] is there is no real reason. I can tell you one thing from experience if you get the K&N, as someone else mentioned and as I did at first, it don't fit if you have a upper strut brace. The tube is too large where it fits over the throttle body.

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
565 Posts
00focus said:
HR ZX3 GOT THA SHORT RAM SO HE COULD USE THE POWER IN THA BOTTOM END NO USE IN LETTING IT GO UP TOP IF THERES NO POWER GAIN
[thumb] thank you [thumb]

·
Registered
400 Posts
I understand that the price is the main issue in this particular question.However, The volant is considered a CAI because of the design.I have used it for 3 weeks now and it does improve performance during hot weather better than a shorty in that regards.I would say, that if price is the issue, in my opinion, save a little bit more, and give the volant a try.

·
Registered
187 Posts
H&Rzx3 said:
microtonal said:
I always thought that short rams gave high end power and CAI gave you low end power because you get cool air from idle to high RPM's whereas a short ram doesn't get that cool air until the high RPM's...
um, who's right?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts