Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So changing my oil, should be easy right? Well it wasn't this time since I must have had godly strength when I put my oil filter on last time cause I couldn't get it off. First used the strap wrench then searched on here for the best method and found a lot of different ways but no conclusion. So after sticking a screwdriver through it, causing a mess, and cursing a lot I did find the solution. A pair of oil filter pliers, worked great. I know its not original advice but maybe someone will search for this later and it will help them.

I picked them up at Lee Auto parts, but they also have them at Sears, don't bother with Autozone they just gave me a blank stare. The company is Lisle and the part number is 50750.

Pliers:

My defeated Oil filter ( the hole is from a screw driver, Never try that, it didn't work and it caused a huge mess)

Conclusion: Don't put holes in your oil filter and pick up a pair of these badboys

-Joe

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
And a reminder to some who might be new to oil changing. Be sure to smear a bit of the new oil on the oil filter gasket before installing it to reduce the odds of a stuck filter. Not a 100% guarantee the filter will not be difficult to remove, but it does increase the likelihood of an easy removal.

The Lisle tool you show is excellent, but in some cases there is not enough room to use it. I have had good luck using these type in the past:

http://sector29.com/PRODUCT_PAGES/316/316-KDT3288.html

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-ME1850-A...f=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1230933531&sr=1-14

The "legs" of these wrenches are designed so that a sharp edge of the metal bites into the oil filter.

I've also had luck using the normal metal strap wrenches, putting a strip of doubled-over sand paper(so both sides of the strip are sandpaper) between the metal strap and the oil filter to improve the grip.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had a stuck filter when I bought my car. I tried a strap wrench for a while, but no go. I bought a tool like that and it does work great. Best 20 bucks I've ever spent. There is plenty of room for it also.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
yah Happened to me when I did my first oil change when I bought my SVT they had that sucker on there like it was meant to never come off! got it off with the same style pliers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts