Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you notice any performance increase?

I sure have... I didn't change anything other than the belt and gasket... and it runs BETTER.

Just wondering.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Performance? No, but drivability increased somewhat.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Someone's cam timing is off, hehehe.

It all depends really and will be subjective. Odds are high that each car is slightly different from the factory and cam timing might be off a bit. Installing a new belt and either correcting the slight error from factory or being slight off from correct can yield a little performance gain ... but you may loose a little elsewhere. Say you gain midrange, that might mean you lost a little on the very top end; which for most people won't be a bad thing.

As long as you like how the car performs, nothing else matters.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^I agree with this statement except that the "odds" are more like "facts". Each zetec is a lil' different. For the most part you wouldn't know it like iminhell said. You gain a lil here loose a little there and stuff. I've had two motors in my car both they way they came from the factory. Both had completely different power bands. Yet both resulted in roughly the same 1/4 mi time. One was strong on the mid top range, the other strong down low and mid range. Once adj. cam gears were installed, both motors felt the same, after some dyno adjustments of course.

Overall same hp and tq but the way they put it down was different.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My experience was that the car idles better with the AC on. That's worth something. It seems to run a bit smoother too. Happiness abounds.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A new belt elminates the stretch from an old one and can keep your cams in better time than you are used to seeing, which makes the car feel all around better.

·
Registered
724 Posts
A stretched/worn belt will result in the cams being retarded slightly. In theory retarding the cam will increase high rpm power at the expense of low rpm power. A new belt would restore the low rpm power lost over time as the belt stretched/wore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you notice any performance increase?

I sure have... I didn't change anything other than the belt and gasket... and it runs BETTER.

Just wondering.
YES! I have a 2001 also. Years ago when we went to put adjustable cam gears on it we found that the intake cam was ~8 degrees off from the factory.

This was a common problem with early Zetec engines due to the cam gear not being pinned to the cam. This was why my car dynoed at 108 whp while others were at 115 whp.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyway, although it was a deal of work, I'm glad it's done and the car feels better as a result. Everything set up ok, I am pretty confident that the old belt had stretched a bit. We had it off before we opened the valve cover, so I don't know how far off it was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts