Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was looking into getting the FocusSport Turbo Kit for my 2.3L. My question was, would it be worth it Horsepower wise (and Cash wise) to get the Cosworth Intake Manfold, Cosworth Throttle Body and a K & N Cold Air Intake? Or is just the kit better and the other Mods I mentioned would not make a difference. Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
if you get the turbo kit the cold air intake wont be necessary. the others will help with power and throttle response. and the cossie intake mani is a beautiful piece.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186377

and dont get a cosworth intake mani until your boosting over 15psi (not stock internals)

it kills torque on low boost and only adds a few hp.. def not worth $695. and a new TB is not recommended. on Focussports cars (396whp, 384whp, 240whp, etc) they use their stock throttle body. so again, not worth the $$$. apparenty only worth it to people with automatic trannys. and like said already, the CAI is not needed and would not be able to be used with the turbo setup..

if i were you.. id take that $1000 and put it into new stiffer shocks/struts, rear motor mount, poly front control arm bushings, and a focussport lower stress bar. that way youll have virtually NO wheelhop.

and also remember with the power from a stage 2 Focussport kit, youll need a new clutch/flywheel and it wouldnt hurt to do a differential swap at the same time to save money in the long run.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that is what I wanted to know. I have read that it is recommended to get the updated flywheel and clutch kit to help the turbo have less resistance. Also a L.S.D. would probably get more of my power to the ground. I can not image how it will feel with the Flywheel, clutch kit and L.S.D. I was lucky enough to get a ride in FocusSports SEMA Blue Focus and their 2005 Focus ST and those cars were mean with just the turbo kits. They told me that there was nothing else done to them besides their Turbo.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
yep their cars are awesome and make great power. i believe they probably had a different clutch/flywheel, but nothing else motor wise besides the turbo kit.

if you arent going to boost anymore than 11psi ever, id suggest an exedy stage 1 or 2 kit. youll have less rotating mass and no clutch slippage. if your going to go higher eventually (like me after i build my motor) id suggest the stage 3 hypersingle.

and yeah you cant go wrong with either a torsen t2 or quaife. both do basically the same thing. quaife has a lifetime warranty, torsen says try to break it.. both great quality parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts