Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know projectors are not for everyone.

So in light of the modder's and fanatics i figured why not make a post to show how we can remedy such a thing.

As you all know HID's in reflector housings are frowned upon mostly for the obvious saftey issues they present but also for the poor peformance they are able to produce.

Alot of people seem to enjoy their stock headlights.

So in order to humor everyone there is a solution.

If you plan on installing HID's in your reflector housing stock that is. There is a thing called a Casper Shield. I know some people are always selling them on HID planet. Basically it covers the light hitting the bottom of the reflector which is the cause for much of the glare preset aboce the given cut off.

This pic Illustrates what a Casper sheild does to a HID in a reflector-

Now the REAL proper way would to have an E-Code headlight meaning euro or whatever country over seas. because the lenses are developed to reduce glare and to have this shield installed.

Ask questions away.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just looked at the reflector housings on my car, there's a sheild that goes around the perimeter of the bulb, is that the casper shield?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^No the casper shield is intend to be put on with that one to reduce the glare further.

I don't exactly condone reflector HID setups but i figure if people are dead set on them i might as well provide a safer solution.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
smart idea. theres a road by my house with dense trees on both sides and i can see all the way up and down the trees and all the sleeping animals in them lol.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL nice bet you piss them off too.

Look into these they are typically under 30 bucks and can save you and others alot of hassle.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
any pics of one installed in a reflector housing during the day?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ I am trying to google it. I found a jetta with this setup and the bottom half of the reflector isn't even lit.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Sounds like a good alternative to all those 6K-in-some-ST170 guys, although I wonder how good (as stated above) it would look in the daytime. Even the best of night-time light is next to worthless if it makes your Focus look like a Waterbuffalo took a poo on the front of your car.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
why can't you put a cone around the HID bulb so it doesn't refract on the reflector part of the NORMAL focus housing? Like a dog anti-bite collar, lol.....

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^Well i assume in all cases you could. But you need to find a way to mount it correctly to the inside of the ST-170. And if your doing that you might as well retro fit honestly.

Like i said i have no photos of a focus as it seems barely anyone has really seen this before. It could be highly helpful at night the only pic i have is this jetta using that setup

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
i am just pondering...finding answers to my questions is all......

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
sweeeeeet i have E code lights
here is mine with a casper shield that came stock with the st170s:

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ponder away i'll answer whatever i can.

the purpose of the aftermarket casper shields alot of times is to be used in conjunction. to try and eliminate any glare just about.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
so would that work or it would still scatter the HID light everywhere, bringing it back to our original problem......lol...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
here are random casper setups:

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
^^^YESSS, that's what I am talking about....good job doood!!!

the ST170's could use that a little going from the bottom to the cone in front of the bulb. the front is already covered.

I am going to do the HIGH BEAM mod first and see if that light is enough for me.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
my hids came with those but i didnt like it so i took it off. It just puts all the glare on the top making it harder for oncoming traffic. now if the shield was on top of it then theres a chance it would work.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I can't do SHIT in Iraq...lol....its so frustrating!!! [:(]

so someone go stick some shit in their HID ST170's and try it for me! lol....

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
SO, to use these ST170-a-likes you would need to open them up, Slap TSX HID's in there, and replace the clear front lens with a FORD headlight lens to get a clear cutoff, since the cover that comes with it distorts the light too much.

Correct?

I like these and the mach-a-likes, but these are cleaner.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts