Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new pads on this weekend, Hawk HPS. Because I am short on money, I didn't replace or turn the rotors, just sanded them. I am very happy with the way everything turned out and even think new rotors may have been a waste of money. The brakes on this car were great before and now, it stops even better. These pads just need to be warm to work best.

Now for the spring clips. I fooled with one for about 5 minutes, then said screw it and put the wheel back on. Any negative side effect to leaving them off? I figure they must be for noise, because the pade are not going anywhere. And I would love to see the tool they have in the factory for these things.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The spring helps keep the caliper centered on the pad so you get even brake distribution....i'd put it back on if i were you...basically it keeps makes sure that you use the entire brake pad and not just the top.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Insert one end (typically the top). Put the spring end in the hole and then rotate it down to where it falls into place on the top and then 'get it close' on the bottom.

Work in the other end with a pair of pliers (needle nose or regular). Have to use a twisting and pushing motion. Once you get it started, tap the end of the spring home.

Not that hard ...

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
dude!!!! you must put those back on!!! im sure your pedal is a bit squishy. and after a long run, go smell your rear brakes!! <im talking from experience> i found it easier to install the springs before i installed the outer pad. it is waaaay easier to do it this way.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
They were put there by trained engineers for a reason... I'd try and put them back on if I was you...

(I didn't have a problem when I replaced my pads a while back...)

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Oh they are a pain to put on. Do what COSDEVSVT said -

Insert one end (typically the top). Put the spring end in the hole and then rotate it down to where it falls into place on the top and then 'get it close' on the bottom.

Work in the other end with a pair of pliers (needle nose or regular). Have to use a twisting and pushing motion. Once you get it started, tap the end of the spring home.

Works for me too.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are right. These clips serve a purpose. Scrammer was right, my pedal was a bit squishy. But, my buddy at work reminded me, in automotove, if it's not needed, it's gone to the cost reduction bin.

They were not that hard to put on. I didn't really put a lot of effort into it last week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts