Focus Fanatics Forum banner

For all of you gearheads...

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Tony407 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Wow! Awesome information! Also, that PDF mentions a 7-speed gearbox? 0.o

I want it.

#4 ·
Very interesting, Kabigon, thanks. I had not seen the Getrag document until your post.

[cheers]

#5 ·
I don't like it at all. The only thing I like about it is its efficiency increase. The concept is so typically Ford I internally facepalmed while reading the article.

The author praises the trans for being simple under the premise that it has no oil cooler, less parts, etc. You read on and then you realize what kind of a shit storm their removal of driver inputs has created. You're going to have people burning out those clutch packs left and right, which will happen any time you introduce a radically different product to the market that can be defeated so easily.

It also sounds like this car will be un-trackable. You can heat the trans up with various forms of low speed/high speed high load instances. Essentially everything you'd experience on a track. The last thing I want is to have some [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g trans temp warning in my face. Not that I would ever track an automatic.

Good idea, horrible execution.

#10 ·
I've had two very fast cars that were autos, as well as my current go-fast car which is a manual. The manual is definitely fun to drive, but there's also something about steering wheel mounted paddle shifters (or on the stick, as long as it isn't in the form of Focus toggle button!) and a decent rev-matching system that I quite enjoy. But I see your point.

In the autocross courses they've had here, once I hit 2nd gear I just stay there until I hit the finish line. This does take some of the fun out of rowing your own gears. On the speed track is an entirely different story though.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.