Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I had taken pics today but my phone was dead. I modified the intake with a new filter. I took the factory filter out and replaced it with a blue Spectre brand reusable one that I had bought a year ago and it doesnt fit on my mustang's CAI.

I've removed the plastic frame and paper (best I can describe it) from around the MAF sensor

I first took the paper filter out and clamped the Spectre filter on, leaving the side of the air box wide open (a big circle that would be the top of the paper filter) took her for a drive... great sound and a definite pickup.

The best part is the lid fits back on the air box and I feel if you really wanted, you could leave it like that... me having a screaming Mustang already, I want my go kart DD to be quieter, I cut the paper filter and unsnapped the end of the filter to close the hold in the air box...

I'm left there I will update with pics and let you know how the sound is.

Best part of all, a K&N is $65, this is under $30 [clap]

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Buddy,
My best advice to you is to pop in to Ford and buy the original filter and put everything back to normal. I hope you haven't cut any plastic yet.
What happens if your car has an engine break down and has to be taken in to Ford for repairs. Ford has made it quite clear on their position regarding such issues worldwide.
If you want to keep the excellent guarantee that comes with the car you are not allowed to work on it yoursef. (nada) (My Uncle works for Ford)
This is not a racing car but it's no slouch either it's faster than the Cruze and the Honda Civic and many others in its class on the market.
I'm giving you this advice from the heart and in good faith, buddy, you can follow it or ignore it.

If you MUST modify something make sure that you are in a position to reverse the modification in double quick time and that it is undetectable and non intrusive.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Definately get some pictures up. Nevermind the negative nannies. If you have a mustang you modify, then you know what you're getting into. I had a tune on my new truck within a few weeks.

I think some pictures, if the work was done cleanly, will show how quality looking of a job you have done.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Buddy,
My best advice to you is to pop in to Ford and buy the original filter and put everything back to normal. I hope you haven't cut any plastic yet.
What happens if your car has an engine break down and has to be taken in to Ford for repairs. Ford has made it quite clear on their position regarding such issues worldwide.
If you want to keep the excellent guarantee that comes with the car you are not allowed to work on it yoursef. (nada) (My Uncle works for Ford)
This is not a racing car but it's no slouch either it's faster than the Cruze and the Honda Civic and many others in its class on the market.
I'm giving you this advice from the heart and in good faith, buddy, you can follow it or ignore it.

If you MUST modify something make sure that you are in a position to reverse the modification in double quick time and that it is undetectable and non intrusive.
Now that is a troll.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my personal opinion, the perceived gains of a "less restrictive" air filter Vs the larger particulate matter allowed into the intake is not worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
613 Posts
In my personal opinion, the perceived gains of a "less restrictive" air filter Vs the larger particulate matter allowed into the intake is not worth it in the long run.
That is simply not the case with a K&N. A properly prepared and maintained K&N works just as well (if not better than) as a "normal" filter. I spent several years crewing on a dirt sprint-car team…. and we used K&N filters exclusively.... Our engine builder was always quite impressed with how clean the inside of our engines were. Nothing more than a myth....

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is simply not the case with a K&N. A properly prepared and maintained K&N works just as well (if not better than) as a "normal" filter. I spent several years crewing on a dirt sprint-car team…. and we used K&N filters exclusively.... Our engine builder was always quite impressed with how clean the inside of our engines were. Nothing more than a myth....
Race engines and daily driver engines are almost two different "breeds". The egine in my daily driver does not get the same attention I assume you give your race engine.

Not intending to start an argument with you, but here's an article which seems to prove the opposite.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sticks and Stones
Go have a chat with the Service Manager at your Dealership.
Ask him if you can start hacking away at the car ?[hatchet]
I am sure any service manger would say "It is your own car do whatever you want to do it. As long as it is not risking the safety of others or breaking any laws."

·
Registered
321 Posts
^ don't mind dasilvarsa, he's the mod police on the forum.

This is one of many intake mod's I've seen lately. I'm eager to learn which one is most beneficial. Pics?

·
Registered
266 Posts

This is one of many intake mod's I've seen lately. I'm eager to learn which one is most beneficial. Pics?
If he is a moderator . . .then these are faces I would make [histerical][giggle][hihi][confused][eek][vommit]

·
Registered
418 Posts

I'd prefer to be called the Warranty Protection Officer if that's ok with you.
I've been driving new cars for 30 Years and have never been denied a Warranty Claim. I sell my cars as soon as the engine warranty has expired.
I hate to see people rubbing themselves with Snake Oil and then expecting others to follow suit

But I'm still very interested to see the Pictures from the OP. It sounds like quite a job.!!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Intake modifications that are done near the MAF sensor can easily result in erratic MAF readings. How can anyone possibly determine if a modification is "beneficial" without proper measurements (such as datalogging the PCM)?

Even companies that specialize in intakes can produce a bad design (for example, the original Mazdaspeed 3 CAI).

The MAF is an important sensor used by the PCM to control the A/F ratio. That is why many aftermarket intakes use an "air straightener" to promote a laminar air flow and minimize air turbulence.

There is a lot more science in a good intake design than most people realize.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
actually i didn't cut a thing, and it can be back to stock in under a minute...

The whole "void your warranty" bugs me... if i have a problem with sync under warranty, it'd be covered, the filter did nothing to it and best of all, no one's gonna even notice it... it's raining today but I'll run outside quick... I don't have any pics up of my car so I'll get to it

oh... I do have a diablosport predator on my stang, and I've always checked things... I already have gotten 41.5 mpg out of my car, I'm looking for more mileage, if this hurts it, it goes back to stock. I had the filter sitting in a bag in my old truck, so I went for it. What about people hacking parts off the exhaust? go get on their cases lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
Intake modifications that are done near the MAF sensor can easily result in erratic MAF readings. How can anyone possibly determine if a modification is "beneficial" without proper measurements (such as datalogging)?

Even companies that specialize in intakes can produce a bad design (for example, the original Mazdaspeed 3 CAI).

The MAF is an important sensor used by the PCM to control the A/F ratio. That is why many aftermarket intakes use an "air straightener" which promote a laminar air flow and minimize air turbulence.
I Agree,
If one looks at the design of the original Cone Filter it has a wide hollow in the center and is completely blocked off at the other end to stop any sort of turbulent air flow across the Maf, for those that have looked the MAF sits very close to the filter at the entrance of the throttle body intake hose.
Until more is known, the standard setup is working well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stock?

lid removed

and here you can see the end of the stock filter... (if you want to leave it off and be loud you can do that too... my stang is loud enough as is, so the focus stays quiet)

note, with a new stock paper filter, I can go back to stock in 30 seconds...

·
Registered
276 Posts
actually i didn't cut a thing, and it can be back to stock in under a minute...

The whole "void your warranty" bugs me... if i have a problem with sync under warranty, it'd be covered, the filter did nothing to it and best of all, no one's gonna even notice it... it's raining today but I'll run outside quick... I don't have any pics up of my car so I'll get to it

oh... I do have a diablosport predator on my stang, and I've always checked things... I already have gotten 41.5 mpg out of my car, I'm looking for more mileage, if this hurts it, it goes back to stock. I had the filter sitting in a bag in my old truck, so I went for it. What about people hacking parts off the exhaust? go get on their cases lol

I am curious if you got more MPG. Please keep us posted about that. I just got my k&n in the mail :) cant wait to put it on :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts