Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had really loud front end noise on the ST.

I replaced the wheel bearings and hubs with a set from Timken. It got quieter, but still seems louder than it should be. Seems to come from the left front side.

I did the brakes (pads/rotors) at the same time, so brake noise should be minimal.

What else could it be?

TIA.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had an alignment or replaced tires recently?
With the knuckles off, the shop manual recommended an alignment. I haven't gotten it done yet as if there is something else I need to replace, I don't want to have to pay for two alignments. I was planning on getting tires (Michigan winter and all) at the same time.

87k on the clock. Early for wheel bearings, but they were howling.

I guess I am confused how an alignment will sound like bad wheel bearings.

Could it be transmission or maybe the passenger side support bearing for the half shafts? The CV joints themselves? The CV boots are still intact.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How do the tires look/feel? My bet is that you have some wear on the tires causing noise. Most alignments are warranted for 6 months or so. You could get an alignment now, and then again later if you need to replace something else.
Firestone offers a lifetime alignment for about $130.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires are ok. Nearing the end of the tread (and why I am planning on a new.) Proper pressure, and even wear. I doubt they will cause a grinding sound like this.

Something isn't right. I'll take the left front apart again and see if I can find anything.

Half shaft boots are the most probable at this point, I think. Boots and grease are cheap and easy, so I'll try that.

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts