1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For folks who wanted to 'at minumum' test drive a manual tranny 2012 Focus:
Were you able to test drive one?
Were you able to FIND one for sale?
Were you able to find one for sale with enough features/color, so you bought it?
Did you order a manual tranny 2012?
Were you able to buy one, or did you settle for the automatic?

I went out looking and no local dealer had a 2012 manual SE at all in my big (1.5 million or so) Metro area.
Did a computer build and search and sent two emails I was looking for a Focus.
Went to one dealer, they did not seem even interested in talking to me. (Idiots.. jeez)
Tried another dealer and there I drove an autotranny and it was OK. That dealer (with a decent salesperson) did locate a car i could like in the service/trade area, but it turned out that dealer would not trade it away.
Next I drove a stripped down manual (S, no options) in a color i would not buy (silver) at another dealer with another salesperson I could not stand.

That night i did a computer search for a SE with manual, and yellow paint.
Success! found just one in over 100 mile radius. 60 miles away with most of what i wanted.
I happened to go to the dealer site and as I looked at the Focus.. the salesman happened to be available online (fate?) I connected and I told him i would be there in an hour.
Drove up there and drove the car, and bought it that afternoon. (i had to leave my old car there for a few days)
So i found the manual tranny car in the color i wanted with the stuff i wanted 60 miles away in some small farm town. odd hey?

Pity the dealers don't have the cars folks want to buy on hand.
So what did you do?

((PS when I say settle for an automatic, I am NOT saing the auto is inferior, only that maybe some wanted a manual, but decide to buy the auto as it was available, or the Wife said no way.. etc)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was originally planning on buying an auto and wasn't even looking at manual cars. I narrowed it down to the Mazda 3 and '12 Focus, but the only focus in town they could find the keys to was a manual. I really wanted to drive a Focus before deciding what car to buy so I drove that one. I suck at manual, but it was new and fun so I ended up ordering a manual to get the features/ color I want.
I almost bought a Mazda 3 that day so I could get the new car immediately, but the dealer "couldn't find it" and I got pissed off after over an hour of those shenanigans so I left. I was going to go back to order my focus from the same guy since he spent so much time with me driving to different lots etc, but he ran my credit multiple times the week AFTER I left without asking me so I got pissed and drove to a small rural dealer who have been straightforward with me.
I pick my focus up on Monday.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was not able to find a manual Focus to test drive and possibly purchase. One of the local dealers (not the one we ordered from) had a base S with the 5 speed at one point but it had long been sold when we started looking. Even if it would have still been in stock it didn't have the features I wanted so I would have passed anyway. We ended up ordering because I wanted specific options (203a only no sport or winter packages, moonroof or anything like that), it had to be a manual and I wanted it in sterling gray metallic. It was well worth the wait to get exactly what I wanted. I LOVE my Focus!

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dealer had a base S sedan with manual and I drove that. Then ordered a SE hatch 5-speed with the options I wanted. They sold the S I test drove the following day. I don't understand why dealers are so reluctant to have manuals around.

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I was shopping (6 weeks ago) they had to bring a 5 speed from across town and they told me this was the only 5 speed in AZ.

It was not configured correctly so the next day I found one in Auto that was configured correctly, color, etc. and bought that for the wife.

Ordered mine with the 5sp and picked it up yesterday.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I absolutely had to buy a manual, anything with two pedals wouldn't do, period.

To make it harder, I was after a sedan, and it had to be Yellow Blaze as well. That also limited it to the SE trim with the Sport package.

My parents and I had already test-driven a Frosted Glass SE sedan with a standard, and a few days after I stopped in at work after my classes were over to talk to one of my friends in sales. I asked how long it'd take to order one in, and it was looking like the end of December which was too late.

So it HAD to be a manual, Yellow Blaze SE sedan with the sport package, and had to be already sitting at a dealership nearby....good luck, right? We put the search requirements into the computer and ONE showed up in Canada....sitting on our own lot. Another dealership wanted it, so I had to decide yes or no within about 5 days.

Two days later, it was in my driveway.

Long story short, I had a very specific model I was looking for, and was amazingly lucky that we had the one I was after. Pure, amazing luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Elizabeth, a funny thing is that a dealer here in SD has THREE yellow blaze manual se sport pkg on one lot!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well for me I ordered mine from Japan which is where I'm at right now i wanted the sedan SE manual in Tuxedo Black but because at the time of the order The FU KU SHIMA lozl plant in Japan at the time was the only one that painted the cars black was down so i decided to the Michigan painted Sterling Grey which in reality i like the color and everything (even though im not back from Japan and yet to play with my new toy). Its been a little bit since I've driven stick so it will be a nice working relationship with my new foci. SO In reality it wasn't hard for me if you just order it and wait. The funy part most people wait for their cars to come in. My car has to wait for me to come in lolz. My car is my bit c h lolz :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
Test-drove a manual S sedan with convenience package and fell in love. I wasn't really in the market for a compact and had previously set my heart on a Buick Regal GS. It's strange - test-driving the Focus seemed to pull back the curtain on all the reasons the Regal was a bad idea and subsequently revealed why a Focus would be a great one. It's like the Focus got in my head and started a propaganda campaign. [hihi]

So three days later I told the dealership I wanted an SE hatch 5spd with 203A and Winter + Sport packages. They found one about 120 miles away that they could have, but told me they'd have to drive it down to the dealership and I wasn't interested in buying a brand-new car with a 120 mile roadtrip already on it. They brought up the option of ordering one, so that's what I did.

Estimated delivery is the week of Thanksgiving. Built on the 8th. So anxious.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Test drove the 6 speed DCT, then started thinking about getting the Standard trans. Dealer had a huge selection for me to look at, including both trans options. Opted for the 6sp auto over the 5 speed manual for 2 reasons. 1. Mileage is supposed to be better with the 6 speed. 2. I do a lot of driving and hate having to deal with stop and go and hills with a standard. Getting old. LOL

·
Registered
800 Posts
My dealer (interstate Ford in Miamisburg Ohio) Had a really good selection of Foci in Sedan and Hatch w/ and w/o auto. Most colors and several different options. It was really great to se the different choices and options on the cars to know what each offered and to test. I test drove the Ti w/ leather and sport, parking and pretty much everything else and Knew I had to have one. I bought an SE auto. ( I didn't really test drive that one and regretted it, I liked the sport package so much more). Later traded for an SEL w/ leather int. but w/o MFT since I wouldn't use those features anyway. I opted for the Auto but The Manual would be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
229 Posts
When I was shopping (6 weeks ago) they had to bring a 5 speed from across town and they told me this was the only 5 speed in AZ.

It was not configured correctly so the next day I found one in Auto that was configured correctly, color, etc. and bought that for the wife.

Ordered mine with the 5sp and picked it up yesterday.
Two 2012 Ford Focuses? Major congratulations!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was only able to test drive an automatic Focus. But my dealer did locate a 5-speed SE hatch with sport package and winter package about 100 miles away, which I ended up buying. The only downside was that that state it came from has a front license plate requirement, so I have two unwanted holes in my front bumper. Other than that it was exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
At the time I ordered my car in early July, there were no manuals to test drive. I ordered the car anyway because of my previous experience with a Euro Ford manual and the positive auto press reports I read.

I am very pleased with the 5 speed Focus. Very user friendly, smooth shifting transmission which enhances the driving experience for me.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I bought an SE auto. ( I didn't really test drive that one and regretted it, I liked the sport package so much more). Later traded for an SEL w/ leather int. but w/o MFT since I wouldn't use those features anyway. I opted for the Auto but The Manual would be a lot of fun!
So, if I read that right, you bought a '12 SE and then traded it for a '12 SEL? Wow.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went to Ken Grody Ford, in Buena Park, Ca. and told them I wanted a Sterling Grey, S sedan, with a 5 speed. I've always had manual trannies.
My salesman called around and found only one, in San Francisco! He asked me to hold on and he'd try to find one closer. He called me at home and said they had located one, and did I want it. My wife and I went in and gave him the down and bought the car. We picked it up May 3rd. It was the first 2012 Fofo my salesman had sold.
I think I really lucked out, when I read the hard time others have had getting a manual trans. My Fofo's been a great car, and I'm planning lots of performance upgrades, and a few trips to the track every year to see if they've helped.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The dealers in Scarborough and surrounding area here in Toronto didnt have many manuals, let alone with what I wanted at the time (base se hatch with winter pkg). Got to test drive an S sedan and get a feel for it though.

It wasnt a problem ordering one, the only thing was the wait. While waiting for my SGM se, I found that the same dealer had a 5spd SEL with MFT and Nav in Tux black. Although I didnt want the extra options as the price was 4k more, I couldnt stand the wait. Still think I got a pretty good deal on it. Luckily the guy that originally ordered the SEL couldnt wait just like me and settled for an auto!

For ppl in the GTA looking for a 5spd, I found that Erinwood Ford in Mississauga has one of the largest selections

·
Registered
800 Posts
So, if I read that right, you bought a '12 SE and then traded it for a '12 SEL? Wow.
The full story is the SE was hail damaged 1 week after I bought it. Didn't want a patched up new car so..... Lost $2000 in the trade, but I decided that was not too bad a hit...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was able to test drive a sterling grey SE hatch with leather seats and 17" sport wheels. There were a few dealers in my area with manual tranny hatchbacks but it's very limited. I got my dealer to do a locate for exactly what I wanted and 4 weeks later I got my car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
BTW, Ford just changed the Ti to have an optional 5-speed. You can order one...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts