Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Ford Focus, I purchased fog light bulbs, and housings, and a fog light switch for my car, I plugged in my lights, put my switch in. I put in the relay and fuse, I tested the relay. And the fuse works. But the fog light switch light, doesn't come on and the fog lights don't come on.. What could be wrong? Please help

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
I am assuming from the above information that your car came prewired for fogs? Do the headlights turn on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the headlights turn on, the parking lights work, but when I pull the switch out, he little fog light doesn't come on, and the fog lights don't come on either... And yes. The wires were there already

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2001 didn't come wired for anything... Maybe your switch is bad or the wiring isn't complete for the fog lights. I know that my fuse for the fog lights is wired, but I don't have any wires for them. I guess that I am going to have to hard wire them with a switch in the cabin. I would suggest that you test your wiring at the fog lights to see if you even have current, then if you don't start following wires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2001 didn't come wired for anything... Maybe your switch is bad or the wiring isn't complete for the fog lights. I know that my fuse for the fog lights is wired, but I don't have any wires for them. I guess that I am going to have to hard wire them with a switch in the cabin. I would suggest that you test your wiring at the fog lights to see if you even have current, then if you don't start following wires.
My dad is an electrician, and he built his out switch and all the wiring for his 05 focus, but since mine was pre wired I bought my own switch and put it in, the guy I purchased the switch from, said he tested it and the fog light option worked. The fog light switch doesn't light up, if my bulbs were bad, or something with that, would it cause it to not light up?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Ahh so you bought all the stuff separate? Yeah there is a chance that both the bulbs are bad, its rare..but it happens.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
All your connections are secured and in all the way? There is a member, his name is pcordes1979 I believe, i would consider him an electrical guru. He has helped a couple people out on installing fog lights on their cars.

Shoot him a PM and see what his take on it is. I am almost positive he will get this figured out or know what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkI section where you can find prev. threads on adding fog lights.

Not all are fully wired even if the plug ins are present.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Here is a thread I started when I installed fogs into my 07 SE that didn't have them originally, nor the stock plugs/harness:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453225&page=4

If you go to page 4, about halfway down you will see Peter's posts containing electrical images and diagrams to help me install mine. He was a major asset to my working fogs today!

I would get a meter and check to see if Pin #3 & #7 on the connector (to the light switch) has +V. If not, then you know why. +V should be coming into pin #7 and going out through pin #3 to the relay. If so, then your switch is faulty. If not, then you will need to find a way to get voltage to that pin(s). Just my suggestion. You can see in his hand drawn wiring diagram what I mean.

Let me know if I can help any. I'd also check fuses as well. But you said highs work so it shouldn't be that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts